Update Animator in previous States to CrossFade as well

This is for Lesson 15_MC_UTP - Combo Attacks. It seems the tags don’t work on these new lessons.

I think it would look much better if we also updated the Animator in our FreeLook / Targeting state to include CrossFade instead of Play. The transition from an attack to idle state is jarring.

We can replace it in our Enter method with this

stateMachine.Animator.CrossFadeInFixedTime(_targetingBlendTreeHash,0.2f);

@Nina Is there an issue with the course tags in " Unity 3rd Person Combat & Traversal"? The tags are not automatically set if I try to post from a particular video. Can you please check if there’s an issue with new videos and no tags auto-generated for them?

@Marc_Carlyon, could you please take a look into this problem?

I believe we do this later in the course as it is jarring to go between the two.

I’ll look into the tags not working and see if Gary has any idea and who needs to generate those.

I’ve had Gary test the tags and i have tested here on chrome and the tags work for both the ask and talk topics.
It may be that it was a glitch or its a browser you were using.
If you can let us know if its still an issue and the browser you are using so we can see if its related we can look into this a little further.

Edit :- As a test i editing the topic and was also able to add the tag as well

Hey Marc, thanks for the quick reply.
I just tested this on Chrome as well and I still can’t see the tags from the course. Here is another post I made on another lesson and it was never tagged properly

Here is what I’m seeing when I try to edit the tags

Screenshot 2022-06-01 at 18.43.38

Im using Safari / Chrome on macOS. I have my AdBlocker disabled and I don’t use a VPN. Maybe your account has some special permissions, but my regular account cant see those tags.

Hi @mihaivladan,
In answer to your original question about changing the animation transitions in FreeLook/Targeting, I believe Nathan covers this in the lecture “Attacking State Polish”.

With regards to the forum tags, can you confirm whether you are creating new topics via the “New Topic” button under the video, or whether you are trying to create a new thread directly on the forum?

I would recommend creating a new thread via the “New Topic” button under the video in the course, especially if you are the first person to ask a question against a particular lecture.
This should automatically generate the required lecture tags if they don’t already exist and then assign them to your post.

Once the first question against a lecture has been posted the individual lecture tags will then become widely available for use on the forum. This may be the reason why you can currently see individual lecture tags for some videos and not others.

I hope that makes sense and helps to avoid any issues with posting in the future. However, if you have any questions, please let me know.

Hey @garypettie , thanks for the reply. Yes, I was using the post button from the specific video. This was happening last week. It seems to be working fine now; I just tried posting something to the new videos from the Enemy AI section, and the tags were correctly generated. Whatever it was, it seems to be fixed :man_shrugging:t3::sweat_smile:.

@garypettie I spoke to soon it seems. I was able to repoduce the issue again on this video Attacking Force | GameDev.tv

From inside the video I pressed show and got this screen (which shows the tags correctly)

However, once posted this is how it looks

I made this test on Safari 15.5 - macOS 12.4

hmm… I’ll do some investigation and see if I can figure out what’s going on.

Thanks for letting me know.

@garypettie Putting a chase on this

1 Like

Sorry for the delay.

I’ve done some testing on my account and everything seems to be working on my end (see screenshot below). However, this may be because I have additional admin permissions on both the course platform and the forum.

I’ll try doing some more testing next week and see if I can replicate with non-admin accounts.

Unfortunately, I didn’t write any of the automation stuff, so it may take some time to figure out what is causing the issue.

As soon as I figure it out I’ll post an update. If it magically starts working in the meantime, please let me know - this sounds dumb but I need to commit some changes to a linked file next week and that might end up clearing whatever is stuck (or it will make things worse and we’ll have two courses with temperamental forum tags).

1 Like

Ok, it looks like I’ve gotten to the bottom of it and this should be resolved soon.
It might take a couple of days to clear up but you should be able to tag lectures again soon (fixing it is a somewhat manual process).

@mihaivladan, if you notice that it’s still broken by the end of the week then let me know.

@garypettie thank you for the update. Will keep an eye out.

One thing I noticed about this issue - it only affects videos that don’t have an initial post to generate the tags (or at least that’s what I think). As a quick and easy solution … just make an automatic post when you upload a new video/lecture and that would also generate the tags.

Yep, you’ve pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Our team manually creates the individual lecture tags when uploading new content and unfortunately some of them got missed (the downside of streamlining some of our backend processes)

Once an admin has used the tag once, any forum users can use it again.
However, without us setting them up in the first place our automation will still try to assign the correct tags but the forum will reject them them due to lack of permissions.

This is why you can see them when you try to create a topic but they disappear once you actually post.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms