Team Project 1 - Hopper's Western Motel

Took a shot at it. Sent you the details in a PM.

That’s too bad. Nodes are really fun! I think that’s where I spent most of my time in my Viking project. Learned a lot from Ducky3D tutorials. I recommend them if anybody else wants to learn more about nodes.

1 Like

You can probably place the woman now Tyger2 posed it.
If you overlay the painting with some transparency I think the bed looks out od scale currently. In the painting the right hand corner the woman sits by reaches out to the headlight of the car outside the window. Also its leaf end goes up behind the rear suitcase handle. I suspect the paining has played fast and loose with much of reality, it may become a huge, or very broad bed to ‘fit’.

Point with creative processes like paintings. Is that it contains no real math as in 3D blender.
The artist may have used vanishing points to make some perspective.
But from aesthetic point of view he / she could skip that part. And makes it, like ‘It feels good’.
The artistic touch, as we speak.

1 Like

I added the woman (I used the woman.blend file one) and the nightstand in the scene, here’s what we have so far:

Everything is quite out of proportions right now, and as FedPete wrote, painters aren’t forced to follow perspective rules, unlike us.

I think I’ll switch to a shorter lens, move things around a bit and probably resize the room, but I don’t think we can come too close to the painted setup.
That teaches me a lesson, from now on only renaissance painters.

Ok, so we’re ready for phase two, the refined models.
Besides resizing the room and adjusting camera we have these models to refine (with current assignment):

• woman (NP5)
  • the bed frame is ok for now, but pillow is missing (bunnyUFO)
  • car (Tyger2)
  • couch (albesca)
  • the jacket/cloth thing on the couch (albesca)
  • mountains (albesca)
  • bedside table and photo frame (Sahil_Nain)

@skypekitten9, since the suitcases are already quite detailed, do you want to work on the couch and cloth thing?

Anyway, next deadline is 2020-07-13T20:00:00Z.
We’re aiming for low poly, so don’t go crazy on the details, I think we’ll bring the finer ones with textures

5 Likes

Use BLam (or try). This will also set lens

1 Like

I checked it out. Looks pretty cool! Might be worth a try.

It’s called fspy now, but it’s all there from the link @FedPete sent.

1 Like

I think there has been some confusion as to exactly how low poly we are going for. Maybe an example from some other low poly work would be helpful?

I checked that out, and to my surprise the calculated perspective doesn’t call for a shorter lens, actually it’s a bit longer then standard (about 55mm instead of the standard 50mm one): I’ll play with the new generated camera and relative size of the models this evening.

As for the low poly style, I feel a bit like Saint Augustine on this one, in that I think I have clear idea of what I’m looking for as long as I don’t have to explain it :sweat_smile:

I’ll search for some example to build a mood board of sorts after work

1 Like

I browsed a bit of low poly images on Artstation, and while none of these really capture the mood of the painting we’re recreating, they have about the level of details I imagined:

Here are the links to the individual pictures, more or less in order:

Low Poly Kia Rio Scene
Low Poly - Vehicle Niztesla
Can you see the darkness of light?
Comic Room
Low Poly Character
RenderMarathon - Day 01 - Low Poly Scene
Bedside Table
Lowpoly Character Study
Low poly children’s room
Custom Game Ready Cars

2 Likes

Added a bit to woman.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ll make the pillow, and there are some small tweaks I want to make to the bed.
I haven’t been able to spend time on modeling past week, but I’ll definitely spend time on it this wekeend.

2 Likes

Here’s how the car’s looking:

It’s getting to the fun part, when it starts to look how it’s supposed to!

Here’s the old Buick hood ornament I based the model car’s on. Isn’t it cool? 1950s cars really had style.
1947-buick-roadmaster-hood-ornament-2-jill-reger

@albesca just a heads up, I realized I had set the overall dimensions for the car incorrectly (I used the numbers for inches instead of centimeters :man_facepalming:), which made it smaller than it was supposed to. I fixed it, but now it will probably be way too big in the scene.

How’s everybody’s phase 2 going? Anybody need help?

5 Likes

Just a quick update: I’m running late on this project cause I have a lot of work to do as of late and so I have not much energy left for anything else.
I’m currently resizing the room and detailing the mountains, this evening I should have an updated version of the scene

1 Like

Here’s a rough cycles rendering of the scene so far:

western_motelWIP

I still have to work on the couch details and better place the bedside table, but I think we’re progressing nicely

7 Likes

Ok no rush.

The woman needs to turn more, you do not see any of her back in the painting. The floor needs to come up I think as the headlight/ bed corner conjunction seems about there. Will try to get round to doing more to her. It would then help it meet her feet. The bedside table needs to show over the top of the bed footboard, taller.

Interesting putting them side by side. It is the bed the painter has taken enormous liberties with.

It is progressing though!

edit. Also needs more ‘image’ on the left, Another yard/metre?

1 Like

Yeah, the bed is crazy, it’s aligned to the other objects in terms of vanishing points (as far as the fspy tools can calculate) but the proportions are rather strange (unless in the fifties beds used to be as wide as a truck)

2 Likes

Yes looks like you could double the width of the bed, to add that missing left hand space in and match the painting. lol. Perhaps the reality will not notice, if the spaces are filled about the same as the target painting?

2 Likes

Updated woman.

I finally got some time to add some details to the couch and to update the scene a bit, though I admit that aligning things to the reference image is proving very hard.
Here’s what we have so far:

western_motelWIP

I’m not really good with cycles and rendering in general, so I don’t know how to improve the grain, but other than that I was thinking of applying some texture to get a bit of a paint feeling to the models, maybe? What do you think about that?

5 Likes

It’s looking good!

About the cycles render, I’d suggest the enabling “denoising” in the View Layer tab:

2020-07-20 21_53_22-Window
(I just leave the default settings)

Then maybe upping the render samples if need be:
2020-07-20 21_52_33-Window

I usually do 256 (nice binary number :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). Shouldn’t have to go too much higher than that.

That’s a good idea. I know Gimp/Photoshop have filters for that. I wonder if Blender’s compositor can do the same thing. I forget who it was, but I think @bunnyUFO or @Sahil_Nain or @FedPete may have had some ideas about this.

Privacy & Terms