Snowboarder camera and collider offset

Hello,

I’ve had a couple issues in the snowboarder game. Both the camera and the collider capsule are offset. I’ve tried to solve it myself, but nothing has worked so that I can replicate what I’m seeing the course.

Unsure if cinemachine has been updated since the recording, but I haven’t been able to follow along and make it work.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

What am I supposed to see in your screenshot?

The only issue I see is the pixelated look in the Game window. The solution is to set the Scale slider to 1 in the Game window.

If the rendered image in the Game window is too small, you have to zoom in with the camera. Since you use the Cinemachine, you have to adjust the Field Of View value in the CinemachineVirtualCamera component.

If you cannot find the right settings, I would suggest to rewatch the video, and use the same values as Rick. You can finetune them afterwards.

Also make sure to have Barry’s Scale values set to (1, 1, 1) because other values, especially values that are not equal, can result in ugly distortions when rotating the root game object (Barry). You may scale the children if you must but not the root game object.

Last but not least, check if the Projection of the Camera component on the Main Camera game object is set to “Orthogonal”. Since Snow Boarder is supposed to be a 2D game, we do not want the “Perspective” mode.

Did this help?

See also:

In my image, I am pointing out that my Main camera and the Cinemachine camera are offset on the y-axis, which is quite different from Rick’s. Neither camera will allow me to adjust their position. Maybe it doesn’t matter? Unsure.

However, taking your advice, I did change Barry to (1,1,1), which did move the cameras as well (shown below). I’m unsure of how to have more control over the camera position. I’ll rewatch the Cinemachine video and see if I missed that.

Other note: I am in Orthogonal mode.

Current screen:

Mike

It doesn’t. Only the VirtualCinemachineCamera matters. Click the Play button to see what happens. If the camera follows your player while the game is running, you did everything correctly. What you see while the game is not running is not that important because some things get set while the game is running. Your future players won’t see the Unity Editor but the running game (which is the built version) only.

Your screenshot looks fine now, in my opinion. Maybe Barry is a bit too small but you can still zoom in with the “Field Of View” value in the VirtualCamera component. If you still have issues with the camera(s), please share screenshots of the game objects with the respective camera components, so I can see their values.

One more thing: I don’t know if you did this on purpose but your game window is too small for the 4K UHD resolution. That’s why there are scrollbars in the Game window. While this is not wrong per se, this could be confusing for you (the game developer) because the Game window is just a preview for you, not your future player. Also, the resolution in your game window does not affect the final build.

I’m just mentioning this in case you are not aware of the differences and try to solve a problem related to this setting in the game window. In that case, the problem would be an unsolveable non-problem in regards to the Unity Editor.

Here is what I’m referring to:

Awesome. I found the Field of View tool and fixed the Game Window and put it back to 16:9 aspect. I also moved the VC camera, so my screen essentially mirrors Rick’s now.

Thanks. I learned a lot. Onward with the course.

Mike

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms