Share your initial ideas for your game

In this lecture we started creating our 1.5 page GDD. How’s it coming along, anything to share with us?

1 Like

I followed along with this for fun. Came up with a “Streetfighter/GTA meets Diablo” concept. I personally find the “fighting the army of undead” thing gets a bit old.

3 Likes

Here’s an image of my GDD (since I didn’t use GoogleDocs and I can’t upload a PDF).

“The Broken” is a voxel-art future-fantasy RPG that gives players one life per character. Inspired by Diablo’s Hardcore Mode; If your character dies, any progress you made is wiped clean. Inspired by games like Counter Strike, Fortnite, DOTA etc.; your PlayerLevel will determine any starting bonuses to play the game with.

Check out the GDD!

2 Likes

Mythical Awakening GDD

Project Name
The name of the game is Mythical Awakening.

Summary
An epic colorful action packed game where you explore a beautiful world and scary well designed dungeons to save the Guardians of Nature from a mind controllling four armed villain.

Genre
• RPG / Third Person
• Action Adventure
• Swords master that can bend fire

Audience
• Everyone ( A colorful fun game where you fight monsters)

Controls
• Mouse and Keyboard
• Mobile

Theme
A fantasy world where nature is more alive and people are able to harness nature and use it.

Tech
•Unity 2018
•MagickaVoxel
•Audacity
•Photoshop

Platforms
• Steam
• Amazon
• Google
• Android
• Apple

Game Moment
You roam through the grasslands when you here animals scatter. You go to investigate and you find a group of enemies. Suddenly on the cliff side is a giant half earth half tree creature who is mind controlled and is wrecking havoc on the natural order of the area. You pull out your sword and face enemies and then you make your way to the boss which you engage in an epic battle of strategy, rolling slashing and fire. Always room for more fire.

Game Summary
This game came from my love for the bending system in Avatar The Last Airbender and my love for fighting different unique bosses.

I want to create a beautiful world that the player can immersive themselves in while having a variety of enemies to face. I also love the idea of the main character growing from this experience and become fit to be the next king.

You have abilities that tie in to your skill in swordmenship and your be found abiltiy to harness fire. You can increase both or become adapt in one. You choose your path. The game has a linear story but how you get there is always different for whoever is playing.

2 Likes

Project name “Old-fashion RPGs”
(Game name WIP)

Global Goal: With the configuration of gameplay and game design create an old-fashion RPG game that would give the same special feeling that is missing in the most modern RPGs.

Genre: RPG with a combined tactical & real-time combat system
Target Audience: Old-fashion, simulations-orientated, hardcore and role-playing players,
Controls: Click to move
Thematic Setting: Middle age technologies, post-apocalypse
Tech Stack: Unity 2018.3
Platform(s): PC
MVP Game Moment: Traveling and discovering a corrupted world that is full of mystery and danger. Fighting with melee(swords, axes), range (bows only) and have an assistance with light magic to fight with 4-5 enemies per instance.

Game Summary: Difficult, slow-phased RPG with flexible character development system. The more you use specific skill - the more you master it.

Core Player Experience: Feel the complexity of survival in the corrupting world and solve the mystery.
Central Story Theme:
Design Pillar:
Remarkability:

Anticipated Steam Early Access Launch date:

Feature Development Priorities:

Reference Games: Spells of Gold, Arcanum, Mount and Blade: Warband, Skyrim (skills), Eye of a Dragon (game design, story)

1 Like

I love it! Post updates!!

Thanks, tho this is a screenshot from the actual game, and I’m mostly only learning right now by going through this course, just to give you right expectations. To make such a game I would have go from scratch :grin:

1 Like

Project “No Heroes no world” 1.5-Page GDD

Finding a Hero path

Genre: Fixed-camera, Single Player, 3rd-Person Action RPG
Target Audience: 17 yrs+, People who likes stories, like diablo II, Fable 2 etc.

Controls: Mouse + Keyboard

Thematic Setting: Fantasy / Monster / Dragons.

Tech Stack: 2019.3 with C#, 3D Max 2017, Zbrush 2018, Mixamo, Unity Asset Store for Scenarios and some 3d Objects.

Platform(s): Steam / PC

MVP Game Moment: 10 min of amazing story with some combats, quests and bosses waiting to be defeated.

Game Summary: Project “No heroes no world” is a Diablo style RPG with the fantasy and magic based on a old world or other dimension, where the magic was possible. Everything starts in a old town with a Old man telling stories to his grandchildren about the heroes that saved the earth 80 years ago. The grandchildren name is Jariel and he is son of Krugar, one of the generals of the South Kingdom, there are only 4 Kingdoms, North, South, West and East. Everything was fine until a rocks falls from the heaven and some monsters starts appear, The house of Jariel Grandfather was affected and some monsters start to attack, Jariel start to scream and the grandfather opened a magic portal and sent Jariel through it. This time the things changes because almost all the army was sent to fight in other lands, there is only 3 hero in the town. The portal used by the grandfather sent Jariel to a old town with some others heroes that participated in the previous war.

You and your new friends needs to become in the new heroes and discover how to defeat the evil that is affecting the world.

Core Player Experience: An Adventurer / Funny

Central Story Theme: The amazing Heroes

Design Pillar: Putting a Player in an emotional heroes path.

Remarkability: Amazing world, Magic and wars.

Anticipated Steam Early Access Launch date: Q4 / 2019 or later

• Level building and game progression
  • Combat with different kind of enemies to
  • RPG abilities (upgradeable)
  • Branching dialogue system
  • Inventory, loot, usable items

Reference Games: Diablo 3, Everquest, Fable 2, TorchLight II, Pillar Of Eternity

P.D: Guys I’m apologize if some sentences are not correctly, but i’m not a native English Speaker :frowning:.

1 Like

A game story in future, related to Mars(Doom like)
Project “RedWorld” GDD by Pix(Aman)

Genre: RPG with action adventure features.
Target Audience: Standard 13+
Controls: Keyboard/Mouse(PC), Touch for mobile devices.
Theme: Future(Alternate/Crisis)
Tech Stack: Unity, Audacity, bfxr
Platform: PC, Android/iOS(future release)

MVP Game Moment: Exploring the story in a different planet, moving and finding connections to past related to Earth.
Core Player Experience: Survival in a future doomed world.

Refrence Games: Doom(various), Warhammer 40k(Dawn of War), Halo(for storyline).

1 Like

Does it need to be an RPG? I have other ideas not related to this genre at all

1 Like

If you are not that experienced making games I highly suggest you follow the course and make an RPG, then with everything you’ll learn make your own thing, but if you have the skills then go ahead and make something entirely different right from the start! Nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

I cannot download the template…

Can you help me?

I finally got thru to the template…thank you

Work in Progress

Now that all 4 parts of the course have been released, I’ve decided to try and create an RPG game idea that’s been in my mind for a while now. I had initially started making a western themed one when only the first part of the course was available, but I had a big desire for a lot of dialogue and quest related things and I had no idea how to implement them, and eventually the project got put down.

But now I feel like I have more Unity experience so I want to try again with a more Dystopian themed RPG.

Project: “Cyber City RPG” (Working title)
Theme: Torchlight meets Beholder meets 1984 meets Caprica
Genre: 3rd person action RPG, single player, fixed camera
Target Audience: 13+ (T for Teen) mix of Torchlight gameplay with elements of Orwell, papers please, Beholder games, with serious and captivating (impactful) storylines
Controls: Mouse and keyboard
Thematic Setting: Utopia, modernish futuristic - dystopian world (like 1984) robots, autoweapons, downtrodden civilians, oppressive regime, rich control
Tech Stack: Unity 2020, Blender, Gimp, Mixamo(animation), Synty Asset + Asset Store, Coral Draw?
Platform(s): Steam
MVP Game Moment: MC has been caught by the guards and is having to escape up a stairwell and make way across a rooftop being chased by endless robot guards and turrets, taking them down or running away in a 2/3 minute scene. Evening/nighttime setting. Street-light glare. End of moment when MC reaches the edge of the rooftop where there seems to be no escape and surrounded by robot guards - cue cutscene.

Thematically, I’ve taken a lot of inspiration from games like Beholder and Orwell, as well as scifi media like Battlestar Galactica and 1984. Gameplay-wise, it will be Diablo/Torchlight controls but with possibly a bigger emphasis on long range weapons for combat (guns and lasers). For worldbuilding, I like the oldstyle look of Midgar from FF7. I do want the aesthetics to resemble a more modern setting.

Shadowy police-city vibes from Beholder mixed with clean high-tech database UI look from Orwell

1 Like

I’ve had a little (a few years!) time to think about it so here is my 4-page long 1.5 page GDD:

1 Like

Project “ Firebred ” 1.5-Page GDD

Two Worlds II meets Diablo meets Lost Ark

Genre: Third person Action Fantasy-RPG, Single-Payer, Fixed Camera, Click-To-Move
Target Audience: 13+, fans of RPG’s and MMORPG’s like Lost Ark, Diablo, etc.

Controls: Mouse and keyboard

Thematic Setting: Medieval/Europe/Fantasy/War

Tech Stack: Unity 2020.3, Audacity, Asset Store for 3D and UI, Procedural Worlds Tool Suite, Blender, Adobe After Effects

Platform(s): Steam

MVP Game Moment: 2-3 minutes of simple linear level flow with basic combat and showcasing of magic spells against 3 or 4 enemy types

Game Summary: “Firebred” is a magic-heavy action-RPG with a semi-branching storyline and a flexible character-/skill development system. Set in a medieval fantasy-style environment where a war between light and darkness has yet again emerged, the player has the ability to choose becoming a servant of good or evil.

Core Player Experience: Become a powerful master of combat, magic, and people.

Central Story Theme: Choose sides between light or dark – or choose both.

Design Pillar: Putting the player in challenging combat where they can use their skills to feel powerful.

Remarkability: Interesting immersive world, many moments to fulfill your power-fantasy

Anticipated Steam Early Access Launch date: N/A

• Real-time combat with tons of different enemies to smash, burn, evaporate and more
  • All the required RPG abilities and stats (upgradeable)
  • Procedurally generated side quests
  • Level building and game progression
  • Branching dialogue system
  • Inventory, loot, usable items
  • Modular character customization

Reference Games: Diablo, Lost Ark, Two Worlds II, Dragon Age, Dishonored

2 Likes

That’s something I would want to play and experience!

Updates on my design. 8 pages of the increasingly-inaccurately named “1.5 page GDD”:

Privacy & Terms