Really bad performance for Udemy site / player

Good creative solution!

Anyone at Udemy you hold some sway over @Ben? Iā€™ve not really checked in on this topic for a while, but being that it started in July and students are still having problems thatā€™s a bit poor, appreciate itā€™s not GameDev.tv directly, but could reflect etc.

Thereā€™s certainly not the same number of people posting about problems anymore, but really, there shouldnā€™t be any :frowning:

It wouldnā€™t be so bad if Udemy could perhaps just turn around and explain what the issue actually is at their end and advise what is being done to resolve it and why itā€™s so problematic to resolve - people would probably be fairly understanding for a while. Just a thought.

I had problems with the entire udemy site over the weekendā€¦ . Unresponsive at times and failing to load the course contentā€¦ Videoā€™s did play OK once I was able to get the page to loadā€¦

Geoff

Yes I have Udemyā€™s ear, I will redirect them to this thread when I speak to them next week.

1 Like

Thanks Ben, I know we had a tech here before but things seem to have slowed dowb a bitā€¦

I think people arenā€™t posting they are still having issues. You can always tell what time of day it is by how bad the videos lag. For me it is about 7 PM Central Time in the US, which I am sure has to do with lots of people accessing the site. I still have issues with Udemy lagging horribly when trying to play the videos in Michaelā€™s Blender Course and another I have been taking. I have learned to just live with it. Click on the lesson, pause the playback, then come back to it 10 or 15 minutes later and watch what has loaded then wait for the rest to load.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, Iā€™m 100% confident that isnā€™t the experience Ben and the team would want for their students though.

Fingers crossed Ben can direct some Udemy love to the ongoing issue.

As many people taking courses due to Benā€™s involvement in multiple courses, I would hope they would listen to him! I think Udemy would be exceedingly foolish if they didnā€™t but, what do I know!

1 Like

Completely agree.

Perhaps its my tech background but as the very least it would be nice to have an official acknowledgement of the issue and what is causing it.

I donā€™t have a tech background per se but, from a user perspective when a problem is reported, it needs to be acknowledged and an answer at least attempted even if the answer is not what the user wants to hear. I would much prefer an explanation even if the problem is not able to be resolved.

I work with a system everyday we continually have issues with and no dependable answers. It effects production and cost us money, which is why we are looking for a different provider of service. We will happily spend our hundreds of thousands of yearly dollars with a company a bit more receptive to our needs. The days of trying to slog Users off because ā€œwe donā€™t understand the technical sideā€ is very a very bad decision on the part of vendors. LOL sorry for my rant, I tired of being fobbed off a companies who want your money but donā€™t provide good service.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had stalling issues on a number of platforms - iOS, Chrome/Mac, Chrome/PC. Itā€™s not a bandwidth issue either, as I can see the video is buffered. Some videos fail to load, others work perfectly, others stop and start at consistent points.

In some cases it hard stalls at a specific point in the video, and dragging the playhead a notch to right resolves it.

Itā€™s actually making the Blender course quite frustrating to follow recently. I donā€™t recall having similar issues on Lynda or Coursera, which should be a concern for Udemy.

Iā€™m starting to get jack of Udemyā€™s playback too. Like ninjachimp said above, itā€™s making the Blender course pretty hard to get through.

Iā€™m seeing poor playback across Mac and PC, and Safari and Chrome. I can see the bandwidth being used when monitoring network traffic but it sits there stalled and not even skipping through the timeline can bring it back. Iā€™ve also had it ****ping out completely midway through a video and reverting to the Flash player. Good times.

1 Like

Iā€™ve asked Udemyā€™s support to revisit this thread just now, and am looking into ways that we may be able to co-host the course as a backup for you guys.

Add me to the list of another annoyed user. The buffering is terrible. Is there a way to download the videos because right now itā€™s not at all in a streamable condition as it buffers every 3-4 seconds.

I believe mobile devices provide the option to watch offline (download etc).

Thatā€™s forcing user to use mobile which I donā€™t want to as I spend most of my time on the laptop/Desktop.

The situation shouldnā€™t be this horrible for all the paid users.

I suspect that there is a technical reason rather than a design decision, such as maybe their software can enforce DRM on specific mobile apps easier than on desktop (and I understand, they represent teachers earning a living here who donā€™t always want their lectures traded for free!) But if they know we would like a solution, that should give incentive to find one. E.g. does, say, Windows Media Player have ā€œonly authorized users can play this videoā€ capability? Iā€™m not sure.

I agree with you, it shouldnā€™t. I donā€™t believe for a moment it is Udemyā€™s intention to force people off of the web platform to mobile.

I suggested the use of mobile as a potential workable solution for the interim, enabling you to still make progress rather than not - responding specifically to your query regarding the downloading of content, as you cannot download it from a desktop.

Although, Iā€™ve had issues (on iOS) where an offline video has completely refused to play, and only by deleting it and streaming was I able to watch it.

/facepalm

Must he a nightmare to support, what with so many devices and personally configurations, this and that installedā€¦

Privacy & Terms