Our games added to our profile

Hey,

I think that it would be a nice Idea to let us add links to our own Games and 3d Designs to our forum profile. What do you guys thinks?

1 Like

Hey @Joao_Dalvi,

You should be able to do this already, although I do know that features of the forums are granted at specific intervals based on the trust level of the user, how long they have been a member, the number of posts, any reported posts and so on.

I have just edited my own profile and in the About me area added a link to Google - that seemed to work without any problems. You can also add a link to your own website, so potentially, if you filled the About me area, you could always consolidate all of your game links on to a page of your own and point other members to that.

On the top right of the forum, click on your profile icon, then on the small cog underneath it to access this.

HTH :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @Rob,

Oh, that’s true, I was thinking about a new section in our profile with links and imagens and didn’t realized that I could add it to the “About me” section! You are right!

Thanks =)

1 Like

No worries… probably best to use what’s already there to be honest at the moment, I think Ben and team are busy with course content at the moment. That’s not to say that it’s not a good idea though and maybe something for the future, I suppose it may depend on how many games people make to some degree. I haven’t tested the About me area on the profile, there is probably a character limit, but a lot of the normal post formatting options are still there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure @Rob!

I will be using the about me area
Perhaps they add it in the future if it’s worth it.

:grinning:

1 Like

How about I add a field that allows you to explicitly link to your https://itch.io profile?

3 Likes

I like this idea, or perhaps an option to embed a frame of one of our games in our itch.io profile, which also loads a image and the link into our profile.

The itch.io already supports this kind of widget, but I don’t know if it would be possible to embed it here (I’ve tried it but without success)

1 Like

I’ve also fiddled with all sorts of stuff in the profile / bio field and none of it was liked… won’t accept any form of iFrames or Script tags or anything… so couldn’t do anything clever… was trying to just get it to launch another modal on a link click the other day, that way we could control what went into the modal…

Ben’s idea above would certainly be a nice step in this direction - Ben, does this appear next to the existing www link on the users profile? Or else where?

As a Christmas wish, might be nice if the icon was a little game controller and it said “My games on Itch.io” or something? Better still, maybe as and when possible “My games on GameDev.tv” :slight_smile:

1 Like

This would be very nice

1 Like

I’ve added this field now, take a look and close if you’re happy.

Can’t see it @Ben? I am on my mobile at the moment. Where would we see it, under the amend profile presumably?

I found the cause, it wasn’t “editable after sign-up”. I’ve changed that now, the field is called “Portfolio”. Work now?

I can see it now yes, thanks… minor thing, but the example text appears on the member’s profile too…

Updated Fri Dec 30 2016 23:02

Its also not a clickable link… not on mobile at least…?

Any control over position? After the www would be good.

Sorry about the delay to answer,

Thank you for adding it teacher!!
Hey, it seems that it`s still not clickable, do you think that you can make it a link?

Thanks guys, firstly full disclosure I may have deleted all current entries by toggling to a checkbox field :unamused:

There is no option on the user’s custom fields for a clickable link, although I think this is a good idea. @discourse can you take this as a suggestion?

Screenshot below…

2 Likes

No worries on my part as I had only tested it with a Google link, I dont expect it was widely used yet anyway.

Updated Tue Jan 03 2017 16:53

@ben, if Discourse are unable to, maybe @sampattuzzi can with a little javascript and css…

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/165082/insert-a-link-using-css

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t understand – what are you asking for?

1 Like

We would like to be able to add a text field which appears on a users profile, but rather than being only text, we would like it to be a hyperlink to the text they enter, e.g a URL :slight_smile:

Or more succinctly… a URL field type for User Fields :slight_smile:

Can’t you simply use a regular text field and prompt the user to add a URL,
e.g. “your website:”

Yes, but when it is displayed on the profile the text isnt clickable, so it doesn’t work.

It would be nice to have the same behaviour as the www profile field.

Privacy & Terms