My first human character project

I wasn’t sure where to put this but I thought it would be a nice idea to make a thread marking the progress of making my first character model so I’ve made this thread in the showcase. This thread helps me log changes and improvements and also get valuable feedback (thinking about “keeping lean” haha).

I’ve just more or less finished my head although it’s still technically work in progress.

12,800 tris in total.

Any and all feedback is welcome.
Plus if anyone wants to comment then any ideas for clothing, style or changes will be seriously considered.

I’ll be making my first full character for a PvP real time combat game for unreal and unity with multiple animations for a variety of game types and making it available for any game developers here.

22 Likes

Neck and ears done this afternoon. Eye size reduced.

Neck%20and%20ears%20done

14.5K tris with subdivision surface mod applied.

12 Likes

No words.

1 Like

Good job Mark. Keep up!

1 Like

Wow, that looks brilliant!!!

1 Like

Thanks a lot both of you :slight_smile:

the neck looks a bit strange to me but thats probably just the angle, or that im used to seeing a body connected to it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yep, it might be. I didn’t use reference material for the neck so when I get round to doing more to this, I’ll probably make some changes yet to the neck and maybe even the face when I start texture painting it. I haven’t worked on it since I posted this (I get bored and start other things). I’ll get back working on this soon enough though.

The idea is to have a full functioning human which can be modified to save work haha

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

I think I’ll post this here to avoid making too many threads.
I’ve just tried my hand at scuplting a human, and I have to say that sculpting is a much faster method of getting a complex shape. I tried a man this time (I’m going for a stone cold brian bosworth type of character). All feedback is welcome. (Head is a bit small for example)

Front view
cool%20protagonist%20open%20GL%20render%202%20(front%20view)

Back view
cool%20protagonist%20open%20GL%20render%202%20(back%20view)

8 Likes

Wow… This is good.

1 Like

Hey, that’s a great start. Human anatomy is one of the hardest things to get right and you’ve done a great job. The only critique I have about it is that the biceps are usually a bit bigger then the forearms and that the biceps look a bit flat. Here’s a reference image of a guy that’s got descent forearms and pretty nice biceps.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great feedback. I’ve actually made quite a few changes with the base sculpt and increasing the bicep width was somthing I did, only now the forearms look a bit skinny. When the arm contracts, I’ll have to make a shapekey to the bicep which is affected by a separate bone. I’ve also increased the shoulder size, moved the head up amd increased the head size and elongated the arms a little bit and moved the belly button up the belly as it was too far down. I should have used reference material but I wanted to try without first and it hasn’t turned out too bad but everytime I look at it, I see something I need to change haha

1 Like

I just tried scuplting a head from a drawing I did. I’m also tryiong to practice my drawing and art skills. I think it’ll contribute towards my scuplting if I learn anatomy and life drawing, although the head I chose to do was a stylized head that I was trying. I added a render with a simple skin material and some lighting.

Just need to retopologise it, add multires modifier and add some pore and wrinkle detail and bake that as a normal map. Paint the skin texture and add the hair. Can’t wait to use the new hair shader!

8 Likes

That is fantastic! Looks like something out of Fable. Keep up the great work! :star_struck:

1 Like

Fiddling around it this morning. I’m still going to make changes but a nice render came out of it from testing lighting.

11 Likes

Keeping it here to keep the forums clean. Here’s another male character sculpt I’m working on.
I still need to do the hands and then I can start on another head.
second%20sculpting%20pass%20body%20(minus%20hands)_front
second%20sculpting%20pass%20body%20(minus%20hands)_back

As always, all feedback welcome. Does he need to train his legs a bit more?

8 Likes

Not had much time this week to continue with work but I needed an eye for my head and I thought it would be best to do it first before I start sculpting so I can sculpt around it when I start the head tomorrow.

EDIT 24th of Nov: Also a male head! This is a WIP (got the main form sorted last night). Eyeball irises are too big and the eyes aren’t quite correct and it still needs a lot of love in many areas. But anyway, I’ll be putting this to one side and starting on sculpting my brother’s head next haha. I need a character with many customisable heads so I’ll finish them all and start retopology on them all at once so the topology is more or less the same around the neck base so I can swap out heads for the male characters.

5 Likes

This looks amazing, and making a thread for yourself is always a good idea to keep your work progress, I have quite a few myself on here that are in a real need for an update hopefully soon enough.
But keep up the good work and will be definitely checking this thread in the future.

1 Like

Yep, gotta chime in with folks and say this is really good work. Blends realism with character, nice work!

1 Like

Thanks to both of you. I’m trying to resist adding more until I have clothes on this guy but I will keep at it :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms