Modular dungeon final project - WIP/Diary

I think your big wall has subsidence, all the angled cracks go the same way! The left side foundations are sinking. :rofl:

Continued good work on your project.

The door thing is interesting. Seeing those games not only are the doors big and tall but that makes the rooms extra tall too.

Solution, make proper sized doors work for players, by players living real life with one eye covered to make life more like games!

Oh, must be the same for those into architectural presentation if making a virtual representation to walk round?

1 Like

the bottom/top might not be visible for ‘normal walls’ as I plan to add socles/facades (I don’t know the right English word for it)… basically those parts:

as a separate modules to put on top of the wall.

Overall the irregular shape is to hide tilling a bit, so 2 walls near each other overlap a bit. Plus the crack are going from one wall to the other to further hide the tilling effect. On on the game engine side I am thinking about putting some randomized color variations (basically grunge map) that will go across modules to hide it even more.

I went overboard with it, but I want to make this as awesome as I can. Normally, in game there will be loads of clutter, columns, stuff on the walls etc. That would made the tilling alone barely noticeable.

Thanks! And yes sir, I will sir! :vulcan_salute: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

One cannot unsee that video… and now I will see it everywhere :eyes:

:joy:

Or make it VR :thinking:. Though VR also have limited FoV… (and I have it as a ‘nice to have’ goal already on my list :sweat_smile: ).

I was imagining that ArchViz was aiming at accurate representation of interior :thinking: Will definitely pay attention to it next time I see some ArchViz video.

Btw. those walls from yesterday are probably too much in terms of low poly (~5k triangles for double sided). Will probably mark them as high poly if one could try to use them on mobile or a toaster :wink:

1 Like

Short update… That took way longer (also because of RL stuff)… But I finally finished new set of 4M tall walls. Here they are after importing to unreal:

Overall 30 pieces (with a few ‘base ones’ not show above → for making new variants if needed), all tillable.

Now 4M pillars (those should be fast) and wall trims/facades…

3 Likes

You will have to increase the height on door modules too presumably.

1 Like

Of course! They are the reason for re-doing all this work on walls… Though I keep smaller too - for some cramped places :slight_smile:

Fortunately I didn’t really do any doors aside the one I made when following the course… I just started on them when I realized the issue with the size…

1 Like

Very small update before a break (for a :leaf: gamejam). I started doing ‘trims’ for walls:

And how they fit to walls in unreal:

I think I figured out how to make them fit any wall and be tillable.

Next updated probably in 2 weeks.

2 Likes

They do seem to take up a lot of the wall height. The big squares first wall, makes it most easy to calculate, looses a quarter of the total height, covered by trim. If use is assumed, then no wall section needs vertical tilability?

Good luck jam making!

2 Likes

Yeah, those ones are quite high. I was thinking of 3 sizes (like very small, medium and those ones).

Yes, exactly. But that’s just part of their purpose. The other parts are: transitions to floors and ceilings and increased variability (i.e., with 2 trims and 3 walls you could have 6 unique wall modules).

Thanks!

3 Likes

Ok… it took way longer to recover from the game jam. But hopefully I’m back. Getting back to the project after a break took a while. So I’ve added just couple of wall trims:

And imported them into unreal.

I think 3 ‘types’ of wall trims (with 3 variants) are enough for now.

2 Likes

I still haven’t recovered myself, but it’s not the Jam’s fault.

My A/C broke down and with supply chain issues, the part still isn’t in.

Along with that, my computer overheated as a result and breathed its last. It was 10 years old, which is 200 in computer years, so it lived a good, full life.

All the parts to the new one have arrived from Amazon, and are in the back of my car to be taken to a local computer repairman who will build me my new one. It costs 1/3 what the old one did, but with new parts, it’s quite a bit faster anyway. And he can reuse the power supply (which helps on cost) and add the disk drives from the old one so I don’t lose my data (but am still upgrading to an M.2 SSD and for data, a SATA SSD.)

For now, I’m using the old computer my parents used to use in which loading Gmail is like watching paint dry…

And so as not to be completely off topic, I have enjoyed following this thread and have been working on the Blender Environments course before my computer had other things to say.

2 Likes

A bit of progress update. Now I think I am finished with 4m pillars. Might add some variants later, but that many should be enough to go:

Rendered view:

Viewport view:

In unreal:

So it seems I finally cough up with redoing stuff for better scale. Next up: doors.

4 Likes

Hehehe!Nice dancing moves.

1 Like

It all looks AMAZING!! AWESOME!! Thank you for the inspiration.Soo cool!!So many verities of the same objects.

2 Likes

Big set of columns! Will they be left with the low poly faceted look?

2 Likes

Definitely :slight_smile: this is low poly asset pack in the making :smiley:

2 Likes

I started working on doorways… here’s what I got so far:

But that’s not all! I created my first :blush: Blender tutorial with alternative approach if one have (paid) addon called BoxCutter:

(Also created separate topic for it, as finding it in this journal will be hard in some days Doorway and alternate way of cutting wall)

3 Likes

Ok, did some doorways for one type of archway:

And another tutorial how to cut those holes with booleans, this time without any addon:

3 Likes

Another set of doorways done:

And all made so far in viewport:

3 Likes

Looking cool!!So many verities. :grinning:Amazing.

1 Like

I’m doing multiple projects at once now… so progress is slower… but I tested doors in Unreal:

Work very nicely with collisions. Good experience for both first person and third person view :slight_smile:

and also rebuild my ‘test room’ with new 4m walls, pillars and doors:

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms