Maths for Games - A Fresh Start for Mathematics

I kinda like the idea of votes being limited. Just wanted to share that this is definitely also a very handy idea, as I thought maybe the “devs” not only look at votes but also on how many responses a topic gets. I’m pretty happy with the votes I spent so far or I would take them back. Not sure of a way to improve the system myself actually. You could close topics after a certain amount of time, but others just might create those again later as they have the same idea. Asking users to close their own topics might also lead to no topics closed as the topics creators are surely still wanting to have those topics covered…
Thanks for your presence and contribution Rob!!

1 Like

Hi Oli,

Yeah it is good that the votes are limited, otherwise it would make them a little pointless. You also earn more as you move up through the trust levels within the community, so the more you participate, the more you can participate etc.

I suppose what I meant was, some of these topics have been here for quite a long time now, and because people tend not to always perform a search, or even scroll through, you tend to see a lot of duplication. I feel that the topics in this category, certainly ones passed a specific amount of time could perhaps do with summarising and then closing, a mopping up of any duplicates could also be beneficial. Ideally, this kind of housekeeping would be performed regularly, perhaps every 3 months. Perhaps the team could use these topics put forwards by students to get a feel of what is being asked for, and then create one topic themselves which would then be the ones voted on. These could be pinned so that they remain at the top of the category view and with community members votes freed up from the singular topics, they could then spend them on the more official ones. I don’t personally see the value in having half a dozen “Unreal Multiplayer” (for example) topics, with votes spread to the wind across them all instead of one main “Unreal Multiplayer” topic, which students then vote on. Ideas from all of the individual ones could be summarised (and linked to) within the main one.

Just a thought :slight_smile:

Good thoughts as always. Do you know a way of merging posts here?

Relies on manual intervention.

Hey guys… how is this coming along? I haven’t been following any news regarding this, so, is there a course in the horizon?

Thanks for asking @age401. This is high-up my passion list, and now Blender folks are asking @Michael_Bridges for maths relating to the node system and procedural generation. We’re going to take all the course ideas here more seriously this year, and create a process by which you guys can make sure what you really wants gets created… probably by pre-purchasing.

Thanks for your patience

5 Likes

Hi Ben,

That’s great news. Also, I’m not necessarily waiting for that particular course, anything from you guys I’ll probably buy (Unity / Blender / Theory related), so don’t worry.

I was just checking my subscription preferences to make sure I get notified of your kickstarters.

Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Thank you. We’re about to make some fundamental changes to the forum soon to make it better for you guys, hope you enjoy that when it comes

1 Like

Definitely in favor for a match course for game development as well. The principles are universal and easily exchangeable between various game engines, however the basics are often lacking. Often in game development courses or short tutorials the concept of math is sort of thrown out of the window by a mere implementation of guess work.

Think a 2D platformer for example. Want to implement a jump? Throw in some random gravity number, a random jump velocity, possibly some random air friction number and let’s run the game. Keep fidgeting with the numbers, and when it all feels right, let’s call it a day.

Sure, the approach works, but it’s not ideal. And the guess work is very inefficient. I picked the 2D platform jump as example because it’s just one of the few for which since I’ve come across an alternative, mathematical approach where I do not have to guesstimate values such as gravity and jump velocity, but rather provide a desired max jump height, min jump height and time to max jump height and that’s that. Sensible numbers which are then used to compute gravity, max jump velocity and min jump velocity.

A full course focussing on these sorts of maths, physics and possibly AI concepts would be of tremendous educational value.

3 Likes

I would love to see this course happen as well!!

I definitely need this. I missed out on Algebra and more advanced math when I was in school because of life’s circumstances. Plus, as some others have mentioned, they never told us back then especially how we would need it later in life. If only we could go back in time . . .

Hey folks :wave:

We’re hoping the Maths for Games course will come out later this year or early 2020.

Until then, if you fancy getting a free monthly maths video then come join us here: https://gdev.tv/maths :slight_smile:

That is all.

Lucy

4 Likes

You have my vote for a formal course. But thanks for the email course too.
I always thought it would be cool to learn more maths to represent biological entities. I’m pretty familiar with Fibonacci solving the Rabbit problem, along with the Golden Ratio, but I’d love to understand more about how functions of Pi can be used to model the curve of grasses and branches blowing in the wind, for example.

I think relating the maths to a particular effect would be very VERY cool.

In the meantime, Marcus De Sautoy has done a series of programmes on Maths, the history of maths and how Maths interacts with the world around us. He has a real knack for relating difficult concepts to everyday problems. Worth searching for on Streaming platforms (if available).

\o/ voted for math.
Suggestion what would be great to cover if possibly:

1. Solid basics of most basic math concepts helpfull in game programming
    a) but with practical implementation/examples
    (maybe in Unreal Engine BPs, since it is easy & fast to prototype and show results // most basic math is implemented in BPs already // there are good content examples of math usage to demnstrate point.)
    b) ideally with C++ implementations (since math is used in coding mostly)
  2. Advanced math
    with a & b
  3. Or move b here since it is more demanding.

Fingers crossed and hoping for math course coming soon :wink:

@Stef 2d Platformer would be great but I guess 2.5D would be better. We made 3d games in UE with Gamedev.tv courses.
2d should be easier than 3d but we may need to show some 3d examples for more advanced stuff.
So 2.5D game would be good mix of both worlds for beginners and easy concepts as well for more advanced stuff in 3d :slight_smile:

Just go the email about the newsletter and I am pumped about this! A few thoughts I’ve had:

I can see the battle of the engines beginning over this, but do you think this could be taught in an engine agnostic way? Alternatively list methods/functions for both and leave implementation for us to figure out, only to show the engine specific implementation in a github repo.

As an artist learning to program I am like a three year old in that I grasp new concepts best through abstraction and pictures. Khan Academy does this well, they just haven’t linked it back to games which is where I struggle to connect the dots or figure out what/how/why to use math.

That’s it for now, can’t wait to get my newsletters and see the course when it’s ready!

1 Like

Is this course also for Unity?

Maths course - great idea!

Topic idea for possibly including in the course…?

“Matrices and their use in game development”

Thanks.

1 Like

The Kickstart link doesn’t work.
Is this course already available?

I will definitely also order the book as I need to improve my mathematic skills.

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Tommy

Is this course coming?

Putting the Kickstarter together right now… Kickstarter launch date to follow.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms