Maths for Games - A Fresh Start for Mathematics

Had your confidence knocked when it comes to maths? Let’s take a fresh approach, and get back into the joy of this important subject: Check out the Kickstarter!

248 Likes

How do I vote this course?

6 Likes

Just press the heart shaped like button.

I really like this idea, I would pay for that class.

I am not going to link it, but a quick google search will give you the pdf for this book.

3 Likes

A hands-on course with practical examples would be a really great thing. Ideally in the Unreal Engine :slight_smile:
I would also love a section of how to (visually) debug such problems in-engine. Often times, I found myself wondering what was going on with a wrong formula or approach…

3 Likes

Great idea! I would love to learn math for games!

I need this for both learning and because I love numbers. As feedback, I know I learn when I note down formulas and exercises. Watching maths videos doesn’t work a lot to me because of the time consumption and the english barrier, so I was thinking instead in a series of small, constant challenges to train my brain. Like when you practice martial arts, you don’t learn until you’ve done the same kick 200 times.

I completely love this idea, please make it happen (and I can’t access the book posted in the original post unfortunately)

YES!!!
I started coding on my own a while ago, but I always skipped the math.
TO THIS DAY I REGRET NOT KNOWING THE MATH I NEED FOR MY GAMES!
I have seen so many people doing cool stuff with math in their games. I would love to learn the math and apply it to my games and my code in general. I have found the practicality of it not just in games, but everywhere in computing, but finding someone to teach it with practical examples is a titanic task. I’d love it if this course gets done.

5 Likes

I have this book and need a course to actually understand it.
I am relatively okay with the concept of vectors but it gets very math-proofy very quickly and I need actual practical examples.
I find the practical aspect to be the most important, I’m not sure who the math proofs are for other than those already fluent in maths.

Definite vote right here if it is in the flavour of the unreal course, that was very well done!

Here is a link to the Amazon US store for Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics. It includes a rent and eBook option.

If this could be taught by abstracting it first, (using ADEPT principles for example) I would be eternally grateful. I feel like not understanding how to identify how to solve a solution by the kind of math it requires could cut out such a huge chunk of stress from learning to program AND make games.

Also Raph Koster beileves games are just different forms of math, which is really interesting. Here’s his great Practical Creativity talk which also references math.

3 Likes

I’d like this course to be created; I think what would make it an absolute bestselling is not only explaining the theory and knowledge in a deep way…but also relating each part of theory with tons of practical examples (with code) where this theory is applied; many of us might be studied and revised the topics related to theory and algebra on quaternions or matrices, for instance… but when the time comes, it’s really hard to apply all this knowledge on practical cases, specially when multiple, hierarchical coordinate systems are involved, and/or you have to deal with gimbal lock or singularities.

In conclussion: if this course could provide ways to relate, bind theory with examples, focuses on quaternions and provide ways to deal with singularities and gimbal lock… this course would be an absolute must-have.

Meanwhile, ‘Euclidean Space’ site (Maths - Vectors), ‘Euclidean Space’ site (Maths - Transformations using Quaternions) and ‘Euclidean Space’ site (Transforms using Matrices) might provide useful info.

I would love to take a course like this. It’s been 10+ years since I last actively studied/used math, and I feel like it would help me simplify my code and allow for different ways of approaching problems in several software packages.

Personally, I have found that so many students want to jump into programming before taking the time to create a solid math foundation. It is more fun to start making stuff happen from a few lines of code, but the gaps become evident when trying to implement more advanced mechanics on the physics side of things.

Full support for this idea.

1 Like

Followed the course for some time. I am doing my own local multiplayer game, but I think the idea of getting the math for game developlent in to a lecture or even a section will be great!

Yes!

Whatever we learn, Maths is at the core. Whether it is Gameplay programming, scripting in any modeling software or writing shaders, maths is always the building block. We don’t just need a solid foundation refresher but also learn how to optimize the use of maths to squeeze out performance.

4 Likes

wierd, that book is actually half the price on USA amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Programming-Computer-Graphics-Third/dp/1435458869

which is great cuz i wasnt about to spend 60 bucks on it haha.

Oh wait, theres cheaper sellers for UK but it won’t be prime shipping.

Hmm,
" The book assumes a working knowledge of trigonometry and calculus, but also includes sections that review the important tools used from these disciplines, such as trigonometric identities, differential equations, and Taylor series. "

Well thats a shame, I do like the general concept of a math book for computer graphics though. Have you had this book a read yourself @sampattuzzi ?

Sometimes you can fill in the gaps anyway like i did with Ben’s physics course. I actually passed all my college math without understanding any of it; since thats the way education seems to be in our world :sweat_smile:

I haven’t but I think @ben may have it. It’s probably worth it as reason to study the basics too. The problem with school maths is that they never tell you why it’s useful. If you go looking for the answers yourself with an aim in mind, it will stick much better. But you do need to understand the basics, else it’s like building a house on shaky foundations. But you can get most of the basics online for free if you know what to look for.

4 Likes

yeah the basics are key. I looked at some on udemy recently and he even started with addition and subtraction, but the moment he got into subtraction, he just started crossing numbers out and told you to do it too, not actually explaining how this was achieved or why, being no differnt then any math taught in school. (well, assides from it being in video format so you can pase yourself. it also makes you question the actual mathematical brilliance of the instructor. Since at its core, shouldn’t math be brilliant?)

So from that experience the free ones are probably better. Having a goal in mind or purpose helps. I like the idea of dissecting the world with physics, specifically where you are achieving something in the process. But trying to invest the time and work towards something that isnt explained the purpose of hmm can damper you quite a bit.

Still totally agree with what you’re saying there though.

Just buying it gives you some motivation to figure it out on your own instead of being forced to, just like the original inventors/discoverers of the stuff did

1 Like

If you need a hand with this sort of a course, I have a very maths-centric formal education, Physics Bachelor’s and Computer Science Master’s degrees. I don’t have the game development experience (that’s why I’m here), but I can offer my expertise in maths if wanted!

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms