Low Poly Graveyard Game Ready Assets Pack WIP Thread

Small update for today - 2nd set of walls (WIP):

2 Likes

Finished two sets of fences (fixing the first set and adding 2nd one). Modelling was fun, but making UV lightmaps for UE was painful

(for context: I just finish making 164 lightmap UVs for those models, this is lightmap density visualisation mode in ue4… symplifing: green is good)

Will post some nicer renders of those fences after I get some rest :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Some black corner top row, repeated, in that video? Might be a shadow effect or a mesh glitch?

All looking good. Perhaps a 3D jigsaw puzzle game! Reassemble the urns. :grin:
Perhaps break down all the sets so parts are available separately? Just more chances of small sales people get as they are cheap but more often than full sets?

:eyes:

Can you take a screenshot pointing this part as I can’t find it?

Thank you!

:grin:

I was thinking about doing that recently actually. The cheap part is one thing, but I also think that some people might just prefer to get smaller, more focused on one things asset packs…

1 Like

Those bits repeats show when it all turns round to look at the back.

1 Like

Ah, thanks! That’s just video compression / perspective. Here are those bricks (from finished pieces):

They are similar for sure :D, but different cuts. Also, there is bound to be some level of repetition with modular pieces. On the video there is still just one pillar, but I made 3 variants. Still there is only so much you can achieve with 3 variants (even if 3 pillars x 9 wall types x 9 railings types do give quite a lot combination)… and with one person (i.e. it’s impossible for me to do always totally unique things).

Oh yes I understood about the repetition, mentioned it only to show it may not be a lighting issue.
Good to see all is well in reality.

1 Like

I really appreciate that you mention stuff like that! It helps a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those fences took a while. But now the pack will have 2 sets of modular stone fences (and one wooden that I did already for the nature pack). I had to revisit the one set of fencing I already made and fix a few issues there. Here’s the result:

62 models for the first set (which I call ‘type a’):

And 111 for the second set (type b):

Topology is mostly good (not quads everywhere, but keeping it more-or-less quad-based):

Both set are to the same scale so they can be mixed and matched. Also I am keeping the modular pieces in so other combinations can be made. Also quite a few other combinations can made from those pieces like that one:

Here’s how the fences look in Unreal:

And one of possible entrances:

More renders from Unreal

And in Unity:

And one of possible entrances:

More renders from Unity

For Unreal I autogenreted colliders (on the engine side), but for Unity I made primitive ones (from boxes):

3 Likes

So proud to be included with so many great asset in Humble Bundle at great value:

4 Likes

Update time. Cobwebs, barrels and buckets. Cobwebs in low poly style were surprisingly hard to get right. I think in the end I got it mostly right, but I might revisit it in the future:

And obligatory wire shot:

I wanted to see how those cobwebs could be used in a scene so I made below scene:

Barrels and buckets I just revisited and improved a bit. It still took a bit of time, but nothing special here:

And topology of a bucket:

And a few renders from Unreal:

And Unity:

1 Like

One thing about lightmaps for UE did bug me a bit… For simple shapes like planks, how should I do my lightmap UVs?

I made experiment with those 2 variants, and also with 2 additional:

There is a big bad seam in shading for variant A:

e80adafc6af422d29a9b053e8c836984369c8228

So… going with “wasted” or non uniform scaling is the way to go? I don’t like how ‘red’ it’s on lightmap density visualisation, but maybe that’s not tragic?

Spent quite a bit of time on benches now. They weren’t that difficult to model, but I took a detour to better understand uv lightmapping (see above). There’s not much information out there how to do them correctly though… On one hand I guess there will be someone that appreciates carefully made UV lightmaps. But on the other hand I doubt many people will notice any change (I checked quite a few asset packs for Unreal - all of them had those generated by Unreal). So moving forward I will do ‘best effort’ approach to it (esp. that now when I know a bit more it’s hard to ignore completely).

Here is how the benches look like (Blender, material preview):

And a few more quick renders.

And obligatory wireframe for one of those:

Unity renders

Unreal renders

Btw. I prepared a 3 sets of benches in ‘pieces’ so they will be able to be broken down in game easily or assembled into different ‘piles’ for more variations.

1 Like

Small update: added a few sacks:

Not a typical prop associated with graveyards, but you have to somehow bring in stuff there like building materials, fertilizers, etc. Fairly easy to model too, so I added them. Wires:

And some Unity and Unreal shots.

This time though I thought I will do a bit more to showcase those models (and others in the pack). First, Unity render (URP):

And now 3 Unreal shots. First two ones are campfire shots… I couldn’t decide between day or evening lighting, so I made 2.

The third one was night lighting test with those assets - I imagine such will be a mood for majority of projects using them.

2 Likes

Now, what graveyards need are bones and skeletons. I had some modeled previously but I’ve expanded on this quite a lot now. Here they are:

And two more Blender's viewport renders

Wireframe for one of the models (skull):

Renders from Unreal

Renders from Unity

As previously, I made nice renders in both engines. This time though I went a bit nuts with particles:

To show it even better I recorded short videos in both engines:

1 Like

Update time. This time I worked at crypts/mini chapels/mausoleums (idk how to call those things :sweat_smile:, called them ‘crypts’ in the asset pack). Here are all of them in Blender:

6 models in two states: damaged and clean (example below). Don’t seem like much given I made way more variants for other object types, but individually those are way more complex and time consuming to make. Especially doing them carefully - e.g., not simply scaling UVs to 0, doing light map UVs, taking care of topology (not going crazy for full quad based topo, but keeping it fairly clean - by adding a few supporting edges those clean variants would be even subdivisble).

Example of clean vs damaged crypt

Here is example of topology:

More viewport renders from Blender

Renders from Unreal

Renders from Unity (the little zombie guy is just for scale, I will probably not include it in the pack at first release)

And last but not least - I took one of them and put them in context of other models and particles. First Unity in URP:

And Unreal.

I did also ‘daylight’ variant here

Phew, that was quite a bit of work. I am in the process of finalizing short videos (simple camera movement while particles mover around for added dynamism). Will post them later.

4 Likes

Could you make some of the sacks/bags be open at the top and some other assets inside visible? Like a bag of bones, or rocks. Some laying over and things falling out.

2 Likes

Ooooh, that’s super cool idea! I’ll add it to my backlog. Might push it for 1.1 release, but I really like this idea!

2 Likes

Video from Unity:

2 Likes

Having read through most of this thread I must say…

Hat’s off to you, and I hope I can get there one day.
Hope to create asset packs myself after I get some more modelling under my belt.

Any wisdom/tips from the other side?

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms