Love - Collab 2021W05 Diary

Don’t know how far I can take this week’s subject and how detailed this “diary” will be, but I decided to write it anyway to organize my thoughts.

Even if I proposed the subject this time around I didn’t have a clear idea of what to make. TBH, I didn’t have any idea at all :sweat_smile:. I’m aiming to create an image that focus on expressing the most complex and the most difficult to describe in words, yet the most important of emotions. So to extract more artistic than technical side out of me (which to my more engineering focused mind is much more difficult compared to focusing on technique).

First, I’ll start with brainstorming for some ideas (feel free to borrow them or suggest some more :smiley: ).

Ideas:

1. “Longing for love”. Table, poetry book, rose, glass of wine, an apple… ideally a person sitting by the table looking in the distance…
  2. “Love lost” - gravestone with engraving suggesting strong love…
  3. Simple object associated with love… like a wedding ring or engagement ring. Or maybe going even a bit away from current culture with symbolism and model Ankh…
  4. Something more broadly defined than a romantic love. What?
  5. Hands in a shape of a heart.
  6. Two swans…
  7. Red lotus slowly drifting in the water
  8. “Eternal love” - open grave with 2 skeletons holding hands. A bit morbid, but…

Ideas that I’ll not have time or skill to make, but maybe someone will:

• mother holding a baby
  • A person’s face expressing love - that’s way beyond my skill to accomplish :sweat_smile:
  • Statue (or re-imagination) of Venus
  • Ad 2) with a dog by the grave…

So far non of the above ideas totally capture my interests. First two are the closest, but still not fully “it”. What idea would be ideal is:

• something emotional,
  • not cliche, even maybe going towards broader defined love (not as a romance)
  • something that’s withing my ability to make till next Saturday…
4 Likes

Makes me think of that infamous Futurama episode, “Jurassic Bark” that made everyone cry.

1 Like

:rofl: :+1:

3 Likes

Yes, that kind of story can be found in many places in our culture. Dog can be like that. Or a cat in an empty apartment… Though this is probably beyond what I can do in just a couple of evenings… unless I would set up the scene in that way that only an outline of a shape of an animal would be visible… or do it in a low poly… :thinking:

What can I say :sweat_smile: I don’t claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed :joy:

2 Likes

Small update: did some additional brainstorming, but no better ideas than the one in first post… To keep practicing though I did some low poly work and started anvil tutorial :sweat_smile:. If tomorrow I’ll not figure out any good idea, I’ll pick one of the above and start working on it…

Got it!

Title: “Love and rage”
A dark room after a fight with a lot of symbolism of love (stuff like poetry book, glass wine, apple, rose, maybe ankh)… Ideally would be mixed with some symbols for rage and hate… though I don’t really know what are good things that would (indirectly) symbolize rage…

Edit: That will not be easy to pull off :sweat_smile: expressing to emotions in a clash in single image sounds like a cool challenge though :thinking:

1 Like

OK, after many, many iterations on ideas I decided on something different :stuck_out_tongue:

“Old’s man heart”

Here is a rough blockout

2 Likes

Progress update…

Now working on painting the heart…

2 Likes

2 Likes

…and I’m done… at least till I get feedback :smiley:

Edit: one fun fact… I was constantly listening to this song for most of the week (on repeat): https://youtu.be/pjOtKC_GZ9o might have influenced the outcome a bit :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms