Latest Updates With RPG Course

We don’t have plans for a skill tree system at the moment but would certainly love to put it on our wish list!

1 Like

I heard pt 2 rpg course should start coming out at the end of jan. is this true which i hope it is. also a shop, crafting and spell system would be great additions. i’ve only have read that maybe a shop system will be coming but i hope somehow yall could work the other 2 in aswell. that would make it complete with the other systems being added to pt 2 already. that’s what would make it spectacular in my opinion.

Time for an update…
Sam and I have been recording videos for the next part of the RPG Series. This part is focused on INVENTORY and videos will be available within the next 2 weeks (middle of January).
We are teaching this course slightly differently and will be looking forward to hearing your feedback. What is different?

• We will be providing you with a flexible Inventory asset pack, with all of the code, that you can integrate into any of your projects that are using an inventory system. Our goal is to make this content as flexible as possible for you and not require you to make the same sort of project as we are.

• We will not be typing each line of code for you to watch and follow along to. Because this is not a beginner course, we expect that by now you know how to construct methods, build classes, set up components, etc and that you want to know the HOW and WHY in order to improve your programming skills. We spend a lot of time in the course discussing the code and having you understand the construction of it.

• By the end of the course we will have integrated the inventory system with our RPG Core Combat code base, so if you’re following along with the RPG series you’ll have another piece of your RPG puzzle to make your game feel good.

• We will continue on to a Part 3 immediately after finishing the Inventory course. I don’t have a specific date but we are aiming to have the Inventory course completely finished in the next couple of months.

4 Likes

when you say the complete inventory course do you also mean dialogue,saving, quests, char stats and inventory or just inventory. i already know these systems are supposed to be in pt 2.that’s why i’m asking. do you have any idea yet what systems will be in pt 3 or just a general idea. fantastic job so far Rick. I have to admit you’ve got some skills with level design. i’m not so great with that yet and nowhere near your level. Ben and Sam are good teachers too and i’m enjoying yall’s courses right now. i’m taking the 3d, 2d and rpg. i’ve already finished the 3d one and halfway through 2d. then i’m starting the rpg. i am already familiar with the rpg course because i have skimmed through it just checking things out and i’ve seen all the videos on yall’s youtube channel regarding pt 2 and the original kickstarter pt 1 course. i care a great deal and the most about the rpg course because i want to create my own rpg. i’m already buying assets and thinking about how and what to put in it. it will probably have 4-5 levels atleast. i know i shouldn’t get ahead of myself too much because i will be the only one to create it. i will be on my on. i know i want a combat, stat, spec abilities and attacks, saving, spell,shop,quest,inventory,crafting, progression and so on. i also want bosses on every level. i forgot to mention i would love it if yall could cover bosses aswell as shops, crafting and spells. now that would be awesome. trust me these are the features your students would love for you to cover. if you could manage that somehow i feel like yall would get even more attention, respect and more students even though yall are awesome right now.those are major rpg features and i feel like they should be included. i have enjoyed the other games aswell.

The inventory course will be just the inventory system - collecting pickups, drops (from enemies or from the player dropping items), equipping items in the right slots (ie weapon in weapon slot, helmet in head slot, etc), saving and loading inventory items, how to create inventory items as scriptable objects and a few more things like that. We haven’t decided what part 3 will be yet, likely the dialogue / story aspects of RPGs.

Thanks for your kind words, I hope you enjoy the inventory course when we start publishing it.

3 Likes

Have I missed something? I thought the inventory course was coming out in January and now it is the middle of February. I’m waiting on the edge of my seat. I loved the first course. Are there any updates on when it will come out?

Kickstarter backers already have access. Next folks in will be members of our mailinglist so make sure you are in there! gdev.tv/subscribe

1 Like

Thank you, I am subscribed - supposedly.

When the RPG Inventory Systems Course will be available on Udemy?

I think it has just been launched!

2 Likes

Will there be a way to open the course in Udemy if you purchased it on the Gamedev site?

I’m afraid we haven’t got a saleable way of doing that with Udemy’s new coupon rules.

Okay - thanks for getting back to me on this.

Thank you,
Tim Ridge

Sorry, I meant scaleable :man_facepalming:

I have buyed both Parts of this course but unable to find anything related to questing and dialogue in it.
Please help me because I want to complete my RPG fully with Questing and Dialogue.
I have buyed Rpg Core Combat and Inventory Systems course.

We haven’t made that course yet!

Hi I just bought the core combat tutorial. Whats the tutorial path for this? I’ve noticed on udemy that theres the Core Combat tutorial, Inventory Systems and the Dialogue and Quests tutorials. Are all of these tutorials supposed to be viewed following a particular order? if so in what order should they be viewed?

Hi Adrian, and welcome to the course!
You can take any of the courses without taking the other courses, but the courses do follow an order and I strongly believe you’ll get the most out of the series if you follow the order.

Core Combat - The mechanics of motion, combat, weapons, scaleable stats and a detailed explanation of our saving system. If you plan to use the saving system, I strongly recommend this course.

Inventory - Managing inventory, equipped items (we only handle equipping the weapon in scene, all other items don’t change the character in scene), Action bars (spells), and managing the UI for all of these things. If you haven’t taken the Core Combat course, the course project from CC is provided for integration. You can use this inventory in other styles of games, but we’re teaching and supporting the imports into the Core Combat game.

Dialogues and Quests - This course is still being recorded, but several of the sections are out now. Just what the title suggests, this will guide you through creating a Dialogue system (Including writing an EditorWindow to graph out your dialogue!). It will also teach the mechanics of Quests, tying them together with the Dialogues. We’ll also be showing more UI mechanics so you can present your dialogues and quests to the user.

is the inventory system tutorial fully released?

Is there a multiplayer course in the works? :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms