Imagination - Childhood Games Entry

Tracking of progress for entry for this colab will happen here:

Restrictions:
*low poly
*no textures

My goal is to have 2 simple low-poly dioramas to represent a child’s imagination. I will be reusing the low-poly orc models made as a side to the character course, and will be creating the dioramas, the child, the star-trooper and the trees.

Quick concept sketch:

The scenes should transition between each other as the camera moves past the window-plane in almost a “Stranger Things” fashion. To achieve this effect I would need to know the camera position in the scene… Took all of Sunday to figure that out:
That’s it - that’s how you calculate the camera position, just transform (0,0,0) from camera space to world space. Obvious once you figure it out, but did it take some time figuring out! :man_facepalming:
Anyway, you just seperate out the y coordinate and you can drive alpha of the shaders off of that. If the window is in the y=0 plane, the effect should be convincing…We’ll see how it works out.

4 Likes

Sounds really cool! Can’t wait to see how it goes.

3 Likes

The boy so far…

The star-trooper progress…

As you can see, quick&dirty grease pencil sketches were used as reference.

Trying to keep the scale of the boy and the trooper roughly the same as the boy should be a giant in his own imagination. (Also because it will make the composition of the transition easier…)

Some props

Toy gun:
Blaster:

6 Likes

Looking good, but I think the toy gun should have bright colors to make it look more like a toy, maybe even a water gun.

1 Like

Good suggestion, thanks…
…needed to separate the materials out anyway :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

Decided to make the blaster share more geometry with the toy gun:
Should make the transition cooler hopefully.
Anyway, calling it a day… Will see how far I get tomorrow.

5 Likes

The whole cast assembled…

…minus the trees.

7 Likes

First rig done…
And the beginnings of a stage:
Looking at it now it seems the room is a bit big… will give more space to the outside part.

5 Likes

Still tracking of progress for entry to this colab… everyone should feel free to join for the experience.

The 2nd scene is coming together…

… need to add glass, more damage and weapon props for the orcs.

Need to finish the 2nd scene first because it will show where to model the trees in the 1st scene.

Time is running out! :sweat:

7 Likes

Progress on “reality”

Imagination part basically done…

Still giving up on the transition… for now. Gonna just produce a couple of isometric stills and call it done. I need a break tho.

5 Likes

That’s amazing! I loved the idea a lot, but the outcome is even better! Great job!

2 Likes

Thanks. Final entry was posted to the main thread. :wink:

3 Likes

Amazing process and idea. Nothing is easy … because you are challenging yourself.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms