From 2D to 3D art - The Maxantium Grenade

I’m currently following the 2D Game art course given by Grant.
And sometimes I feel the need to convert a 2D project in 3D world.
Like I did with the battle-ax.

The current lesson goes about drawing 2D details in perspective. With the example of a Maxantium grenade. Very powerful stuff …

2D goal was to draw elipses in different sizes and keep perspective.

8 Likes

I think I did a good job on those ellipses.
2D matches 3D.

5 Likes

Nice one! Ellipses are the hardest.

Can’t wait to see the final result!

I encounter the first real 2D problem, stupid me. I should have known this. Architectural drawing do have a front, back, side and top views. Currently I do not know, how the bottom looks like, or the back side … :man_shrugging:

1 Like

you can draw other sides as well :sweat_smile:

1 Like

4 Likes

Looking great, and I also can’t wait to see the finished Grenade. :wink:

2 Likes

See easier to go straight to the 3d model! And render.

Good of Grant to draw wonky to encourage :rofl: the students!

2 Likes

Model complete and a quick texture kit.
But as a fantasy grenade, it’s size can be anything.
From a grenade to a mine, a bomb. Even a nuclear reactor … or a paperweight … a lamp

“When device shape follows function.” … at least it shines a light.

4 Likes

Awesome!

Of course without a context it’s really hard to tell what it is :smiley:. It could even be a building or a space ship :smiley:

1 Like

Very nice indeed!! You even included a few cracks in the texture. :wink:

1 Like

Added some details, to give it a sense of scale. Eevee render.

3 Likes

Your Eevee render looks really good! Nicely done!

2 Likes

Cycles render with different views. I’m thinking about a next level of tweaking.
Some things annoy me. Still looking like a fusion reactor …

3 Likes

The thing to pull of and arm the grenade works well (idk how it’s called). You can consider adding a handle from witch this thing would be pulled off (that’s a kind of signature grenade thing)

Additional texturing looks awesome! The materials now at least for me convey that’s rather not a spaceship or a building.

What you can do to further convey sense of scale is to for example put them in the box or a crate.

Another thing you can add is a label, sth like:

Sometimes the contemporary grenades are marked as well (and IIRC grenades from the past had it as well).

2 Likes

I do not know if Maxantium’s write English … :wink:
But I try a next level.

Funny a simple 2D results in so much learning experience.

1 Like

Still searching. It’s getting to much visual clutter. Last one (right = Cycles)/
New day tomorrow.

3 Likes

I like the screw heads in those holes, gives them a purpose, and the little one.

When you are happy with it you can take a render into photoshop or similar and apply a filter that gives the effect of a charcoal drawing or something similar and present it as your 2d artwork!

2 Likes

Awesome! The screw heads really drive home the fact that it’s rather small! And I like the materials now even better on them.

2 Likes

The screw is a bump map. The screw stencil, was created in an other project. Making my own set of stencils. But to be really useful in a future project I need to refine those stencils. They had a lot of noise.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms