Daily Speed Models

There’s a subreddit called Daily3D (reddit.com/r/daily3d) which gives a random topic from a list everyday for people to practice modeling. I’ve started using it to practice speed modeling, since I want to get faster/more time efficient.

I thought you guys might like to know about it if you don’t already, and I wanted to share my work here too, since I feel like this is my home community :smiley: .

For each blend, I’ve given my self a one hour time limit for everything; planning, finding references, modeling, rendering (though I usually go a few minutes over :sweat_smile:). Here’s what I’ve done so far:

Day 1 - Coffee Maker

Cycles

Day 2 - Night Light

Cycles. Tiles from Textures.com, Moon from my Dark Castle redo, Moon texture from https://www.solarsystemscope.com/Textures

Day 3 - Cheese

Cycles. Procedural Textures

So far my main reflection is that one hour goes by so fast, and I’m not able to get very much done, but that is exactly what I’m hoping to improve by doing these. As always, I’m open to critique, especially as it to relates to speed/efficiency in this case.

10 Likes

Thanks for the link @Tyger2 as that site looks very interesting. :wink:

3 Likes

Bevel sheese edges …
Love the moon theme !!

2 Likes

Thanks! I thought about beveling the cheese, but I ended up not because I was going for a cartoony look.

I was enjoying this one so I wanted to work on it some more.

Wallpaper texture from Textures.com

This is after probably another two hours. I’m not sure, I didn’t keep track of the time. I did end up beveling the cheese and I think you were right.

There are also more details I could still add, but I think this is the furthest I am interested in taking it, at least for now. Maybe some day I will make a more detailed mouse and put it in there.

4 Likes

Is there a version with one a month or year! I never have enough hours to use.

3 Likes

A nice idea there @Tyger2, I was going to bookmark the page but it seems my browser doesn’t like going there.

1 Like

That’s strange. You can also try going to www.reddit.com and searching for “daily3d”

Missed a day yesterday. Here’s today’s. Topic: “School”

It ended up as basically a block-out of the scene I was envisioning. I still want to get faster, but here I made the classic mistake of thinking I could do more in an hour than I actually could. Seems kind of obvious in hindsight. Plus I did waste a good chunk of time playing around with a higher poly human mesh I had made before, and then ended up not using it.

7 Likes

That is strange, as I had no issue getting there, and/or bookmarking it.

I don’t know what browser you use, but I use Firefox, and if there was an issue with the site, Norton 360 would give me hell (so to speak).

claustrophobic

1 Like

Great and topical! No children in the scene due to the virus. :rofl: Clearly she is live streaming a lesson into their homes more like proper on line courses. :grin: Only being a schoolroom teacher she has forgotten the chalk is not showing up on the board for the camera.

2 Likes

You know, I was wondering what she was pointing at, unless part of that is a piece of chalk, and not all her index finger. :wink:

1 Like

Ha! Yes, that’s why I did it! It was for artistic reasons… not because I ran out of time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes, I would have added some windows on one of the walls If I had more time.

I do that with a boolean modifier. A trick I learned from Blender Guru.
Not that I didn’t know boolean, but the ease it brings in positioning holes, window, doors.

3 Likes

“Breakfast”

Time: 1 hour. Rendered in Cycles. Tablecloth texture from Textures.com. Other textures procedural.

5 Likes

“Drink”

6 Likes

Doesn’t the square bottle still need smooth shading?

1 Like

I suppose it could. When things are so low poly I think they sometimes look better flat shaded. I’ll try it though.

Here’s how it looks smoothed.

Maybe it doesn’t fit the scene, since the scene is going for realism, but I think I like the flat shaded one better. However I think it’d be an artistic decision to fit whatever style you were going for.

Edit: The low poly bottles use alpha transparency; the high poly use transmission.

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms