Collab 2021W07 - The Last Stand

Thanks for the input! Doing that! :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thanks! That’s part of the cost I pay when I get excited by the progress :sweat_smile:. Yesterday I noticed way past 3am that I’m working on this instead of getting some sleep…

1 Like

keep healthy … !

1 Like

My humble input.
On your bridge:

• Make (hourglass shape) support pillars thinner (X&Y axis) and spread more of them. Since it’s the same asset it won\t affect the performance much.
  • The Rail looks more like a table. make it thicker (Z axis)and narrower. It needs to overlap the pillar.
  • Decor detail would look better if alighed with the pillar, as if it’s a part of it. Consider to replace it with single sphere.( Less pointy).
    *Burn some shadows. Even non-dynamic shadows will add great sense of depth.

Keep up a good work.

2 Likes

Thank you! Some great suggestions!

1 Like

Once again - thank you! I couldn’t wrap my head around why the lighting look so flat… and thanks to your feedback I’ve noticed that I’ve must have accidentally turn off shadows on torches lights!

If the lava shows in your final shot, You might want to enhance the lava effectively more lumpy and black bits that I feel looks better. While yes some lava images can look fully red.

Lava flow video.

More details less sleep!

1 Like

Yes, you are right. I’m really dissatisfied with the lava and how it flows. Those are just simple moving textures on a flat surface. I wish to fix it, but making a nice shader that deforms the surface, etc might be too much for just couple of hours left till the end of the collab :frowning:

2 Likes

Incorporate the feedback (partially still). Progress update:

1 Like

Looks great.
Not sure how you created your assets, but may I recommend making into modular components like in my image.
I’ve also show color gama of mustgrave that is close to lava.bottom irght shows the results with a bit of bump applied. You can apply it on the plane, then render albedo/Diffused and Normals and fix tiling in photoshop with horizontal/vertical offsets or there is a handy tool that would do it for free.
Don’t forget to check reverse green channel in unreal for normal texure (blender-OpenGL normals, UE4-DirectX) https://boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/.

3 Likes

Thanks! I actually am working in similar way (Collab 2021W07 - Mines of Moria (working title)), though I did it too granular for this project (I maybe should have made full railing already in Blender, and not try to assemble it quickly in ue).

Thanks! Will try to use it (or something similar in ue, as I don’t recall that ue has mustgrave node… or maybe I’ll just bake some 4k mustgrave texture and apply it directly in ue4).

I actually frequently do forget about it and have to go back or reverse it in shader :sweat_smile: … to many different softwares :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
Maybe this will save you some time or give you some ideas:

Fixed texture tiling:

Height Map = AO Map
Smoothness Map = (invert) AO Map.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I think I got it to acceptable level for this project! Took a break, watched some tutorials and figured out a way how to fake it with the fire textures I already had in the project :smiley:. For future reference - this are the node setup I’ve used:

mask and “brightness” are the same texture, but with different uv-scalling. normal is normal from some rock texture. The idea is to blend them together, but also mask parts that don’t get any color and are a bit “rocky” (the lumps of black thing in lava). Add displacement some displacement in up direction based on the masking and off. On the right of the screen are just panner nodes that slowly move the texture in one direction.

Edit, result:

3 Likes

Any tips to make it better?

1 Like

the left light beam, looks more search light. maybe too strong

An amazing project! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Yes!

Better?

:heart:

1 Like

Final image? :thinking:

4 Likes

That’s an amazing render @bOBaN. I wish I had the know-how, and patience, to do a scene like that. Well done sir! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! :heart:

I am still a beginner, so the skillset required isn’t that high :blush: … but patience is definitely needed :sweat_smile:

Very nice indeed. The lava and smoke really make it. The only issue I have is we, the viewer is a long way off. That is in part as there is so much in there, the 'epic feel. Even made you go super widescreen.

Did you already have that dragon and the spider too? I remember the skellingtons.

2 Likes

I’m still experimenting with camera placement… so far none of the other positions are as good as I want them to be…

I used many, many assets here not made by me. Including the dragon and the spider. IIRC they were part of recent humble bundle (made by InfinityPBR).

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms