Be the first to post for 'Using The Selection Tools'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

Some placeholder and there images once acquired. Tried to stick to a 10 min time limit. Not sure if the colours or themes are working. There is always another pass.

Thanks learning heaps.

3 Likes

Hi Mike. Great job so far. One possible addition to the selection tools section is to introduce the Selection Editor (Windows->Dockable Dialogs->Selection Editor). It’s a black and white depiction of your current selection, which can be very handy when working with complex selections. You may not want to go into all of the things it can do, but mentioning that it exists, and using it to illustrate what happens when you invert the selection might be helpful at this point.

2 Likes

I attempted to make the silhouettes look like they were indented in stone. I feel this idea could work quite well in a dungeon crawler as slot icons hinting to what can fill them :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Here are my placeholders created utilizing the selection tools…

Shovel

Garden Rake

Watering Can

Pruning Shears

5 Likes

Here are my placeholders:

Gem:

Shield:

Sword:

Ear Rings:

9 Likes

My key one looks best. It has depth and looks like the key can just be placed in the open space.

2 Likes

Here are my Placeholders

Sword

Shield

Coin

Mana / Health Potion

16 Likes

Primary/Secondary/Ability/Item

I’m finding it helpful to check these threads for others’ submissions when I’m feeling a bit stuck. If you see something in one of mine you think I stole the idea of from you, I did!

EDIT: Never mind, I said something here which was covered in “Modifying your Selections” later.

10 Likes

swordaxeanchormace

4 Likes

Placeholders for the items in a character equipment window.

         helmet_placeholder
viking_axe_placeholderbody_armor_placeholdershield_placeholder
         belt_armor_placeholder
         boots_armor_placeholder

10 Likes

Mhm, not too pleased with how this went, but eh!

Sword - PlaceholderHourglass - Placeholderscifihelmet - placeholderGun - Offensive - Placeholder

5 Likes

My placeholders. :slight_smile:
Attempted to add a bit of “drop shadow” to give the impression of depth. Did this by selecting only the inner part and then painting some edges with the paintbrush tool with black color. Finally, the “shadow” layer was given 50% opacity.

Lecture 22 - Selection - 01 - Gun

Lecture 22 - Selection - 02 - Shield

Lecture 22 - Selection - 03 - Fireball (or something splash-ey)

Lecture 22 - Selection - 04 - Castle… ( why not? :smile: )

Regards
Carl

8 Likes

Silhouette-Nunchuku Nunchuks!

Silhouette-Goblet Holy Grail

Silhouette-Potion Potion (or small moonshine jug)

Silhouette-Toilet I’ll bet adventurers have to go potty, too.

To give the silver-whitish outine, I selected the object with the fuzzy select, grew the selection by 1 px (Selection menu => Grow...), and then subtractive selected the main object.

9 Likes

Shuriken Shuriken

Flash Light Flash Light

Dual Swords Dual Swords

Cat Juice Cat (was thinking as a stealth item)

8 Likes

this was a lot of fun.
Sword Socket
Head Socket
Body Socket
Legs Socket

3 Likes

Missing Icon - 03 - Potion

Missing Icon - 02 - Flower

Missing Icon - 01 - Cat

Missing Icon - 04 - Feather

3 Likes

This one was tough so I allowed myself a little more time for it! I’m happy with the results - but I think there’s lots of room for improvement. Like other people here I went for the chiseled out of stone look.

Star Ninja star (or just a star… or god forbid a fidget spinner)
Sword Sword - pretty happy with this, I think the straight lines made it easier
Arrow An arrow - this was tricky to shade
Runes This is supposed to be a slot where a player must insert the correct runes - perhaps for a puzzle.

6 Likes

Sword2 Sword

Shield2 Shield

Potion Potion

Coin3 Coin

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms