Be the first to post for 'Setup Visual Studio or XCode'!

Yes, keep Visual Studio 2015 [Community] updated. There might be some differences in later videos, but for what is being used here, I doubt there are surprises.

Unless you have an immediate interest in developing for Android, I don’t think the Android SDK will help you much. Also, some folks have difficulty installing some VS features because of the additional hardware and OS requirements for some components related to running the mobile emulators and other tools.

For those who do not have Visual Studio installed already, I would stick with the minimum requirement: the C++ programming language and the Common Tools > Visual Studio Extensions.

(For Unity, you will want C# as a Programming Language also. And anything else specifically asked for in that course.)

There has been no mention of a requirement for Java and a Java JDK. Do you know if the Android SDK depends on it?

1 Like

My immediate research suggests that the Android SDK makes use of the Java JDK for compiling .class files which are later packaged again (and then again) into .apk.

I’ll just be safer than sorry and add everything. I’ve got enough disk space.

Thanks for your help.

I notice that some are baffled what to do when they already have Visual Studio installed or they are not sure they have the options set.

If you downloaded from the Internet, you should save the installer to disk before running it. That is because the small installer file is used to make changes, offer updates, and make other VS configuration changes.

If you run it again, or download it again and run it, it will start up as if you are going to install Visual Studio [Community] over again.

What actually happens, once preparations are completed, is your current installation is detected and you will be asked what you want to do with it.

You can then modify your configuration to have the development features that you need. You can also change this in the future by redoing this step.
For the VC++ to use with Unreal, just select all of the VC++ features:

There is one additional requirement, down under Common Tools,

This is about features for developing/installing extensions into Visual Studio itself. I suspect that is used for unreal integration, and we’ll see if that is the case when Unreal is installed.

2 Likes

Hi! I’m just wondering if the course prefers to use Visual Studio because we’ll be using specific features of the IDE or for clarity of interface; because I’ve done programming with Java before using Eclipse as an IDE. To clarify, I just wanted to ask if there was going to be a difference between using Visual Studio or Eclipse.

So sorry, I just saw the next video answering this question! I will just be using Eclipse as I am more familiar with the interface.

are any of these VS extensions worth getting for beginners?

Hi! So I’m actually having some issues with my Visual Studio, I have C++ on it but when I open up a project with C++ there are exactly 461 Errors all listing; ‘the global scope has no “fmodf”’ for example and so on. Is there something else that I might need to install?

Hi! My name is Dannyn Hallback, and I’m learning this on the side of my actual college course in Fine Art. I’m using Xcode on macSierra :slight_smile:

I was looking into this error, and the only thing I could find was a site mentioning similar error patterns causes by adding C++ standard headers under a user-defined namespace. It would probably be easier for us to help you troubleshoot this problem if you linked to a gist of the code in question. If you do have any ‘#include suchandsuch.h’ under a namespace, try taking the headers and placing them above the ‘using namespace soandso’ lines and see if compiles then.

I hope this is helpful. Cheers.

Julius, you are looking at “Visual Studio Code” which is a different tool. Visual Studio Code is an editor that is not the same as Visual Studio 2015 Community, the recommended download and install.

Although the C/C++ extension that you see in the list is what you would need, that is not enough. It doesn’t actually provide the Visual C++ compiler and all of the other development tools.

Most of all, it is not enough to have integration with the Unreal Engine.

You can keep Visual Studio Code on your machine. It is an useful editor and it fires up very quickly. It is not exactly a beginner product though – it is designed to be keyboard-driven and you’ll have to learn a ton of keyboard shortcuts and what they mean. You’ll also need to learn how to get your hands on the Microsoft Developer Tools and integrate them with your use of Visual Studio Code (VS Code for short).

So set Visual Code aside and get your hands on Visual Studio 2015 Community edition. (Also, don’t get the Visual Studio 2017 Community preview or release candidate. It should work but it will be enough different that it may confuse your working with others here.)

Hi !
I had installed Visual Studio recently without paying much mind to customization options so as instructed I downloaded and launched the installer anyway , but it was forced to abort since it detected my previously installed version.
Should I uninstall it and redownload it ?

Are you talking about Visual Studio 2015 Community edition? When you start that installer, it should give you a Modify - Repair - Uninstall option. Use Modify to review and adjust the configuration of components and it will change what is needed to have the setting you specify. See the images of that on my Dec 17 post.

You can uninstall and start over completely. It is your choice.

Please help!
I got this when i ran the Visual Studio installer, what should i do?

Sam,

For this course, you don’t need either of those at this point.

You should be able to do C++ desktop development just fine.

If you are concerned, you can rerun the installer at a later time. Select “Modify”. You may see that some VS 2015 content may have been deprecated and you can change the selections. So long as you have the Visual C++ language selection and the Visual Studio Extensions selected, you will be fine.

Hi Guys

Will be using Visual Studio on Win 10.
Install in progress and so far so good.

I went to update my VS 2015 and noticed that Microsoft now offers something called “Visual Studio Code”, which is claimed to be for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and “free, open source”.

I wonder how this will integrate with Unity and Unreal—and/or if Unity/Unreal will move to supporting that, one code to rule them all…

I have been having problems with visual studio 2015 community edition installation.

Whenever i tried to install it i get this error message “A Setup package is either missing or damaged”. But i have Visual studio ultimate 2013 licensed version installed in my computer. Can i use it?

Hello,

I’m using Visual Studio Studio community 2015. Didn’t have an issue with the installer.

• UE4 Version 4.10 or later works with Visual Studio 2015.
  • UE4 Version 4.2 to 4.9 works with Visual Studio 2013.

Source

I’m having this error when I’m trying to install visual studio 2015

I removed the F: drive a long time ago from the computer, now I have only C: and D: drives, I also can’t change the installation location. How can I install visual studio without this error showing up?

Using Visual Studio and everything installed fine. Can’t wait to get started.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms