Be the first to post for 'Introduction To Layers And Alpha'!

If you’re reading this, there probably aren’t very many posts yet. But don’t worry, you can be the first! Either create a new post or just reply to this one to say ‘hi’.

1 Like

House

With Chimney

With Door

And Window

And Shutters

And Garage

With Colour Sky and Trees.

9 Likes

So cool, thanks for sharing your progression.

Nice- Loving the little car in the garage!

House “Standard”

… with bushes

… with clouds

… with smoke (even if the sun is still shining :slight_smile: )

17 Likes

Wow looking at some of the great art already submitted I feel I may have stayed a little too basic.
But either way still fun! Here’s my Houses :grin:

5 Likes

11 Likes

2 Likes

4 Likes

Gimp was a bit glitchy when I was trying to work with layers for this challenge. The first attempt, there were pixels that I thought I put on one layer, but they showed up on another, and then wouldn’t respond on any layer when I tried to change the pixel color to “erase” them. So, I scrapped the first project completely. Here’s the second attempt. Gimp played nice for me in this one…

2 Likes

Mine are quite simple in comparison. Though, I rather like how it looked with all three layers on so I’ve included that!

Haha!

3 Likes

Here are my variants:

3 Likes

- Background

- Added house frame

- Added house details

- Added outside details

- Added garage

- Colored

8 Likes

1 Like

My Pixel House building progress ^^

8 Likes

Outline.

Colour

Soft black and white paint strokes drawn over the colour layer adds some shading.

With a background.

17 Likes

Basic first experience using layers.

House without tree.

House without sun.

House including both background, tree and sun.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Apple being eaten

With color

6 Likes

Beautiful examples you have posted above!!
I went for a castle too, without seeing the castle above first. :slight_smile:

1. Sketch: Lecture 16 - Layers - 01

2. B/W Texture: Lecture 16 - Layers - 02

3. Color Texture: Lecture 16 - Layers - 03

4. Background: Lecture 16 - Layers - 04

Here is a screenshot of my GIMP layers:
GIMP_Castle_Layers
Note the chain links next to some layers. Clicking so that they are visible means that the layer is LOCKED for unintentional editing, which can be very useful.

EDIT 2017-07-31: Sorry - I was wrong about the locking of layers above… The chainlinks connects layers so that they are moved together when moving them in GIMP. In order to actually lock against unintentional editing, you need to use the little paintbrush icon and / or the transparency icon just below “Opacity” in the Layers tab… Thanks to @Andrew_Milburn for the correction!! :wink:

I have worked a little with GIMP before, but not done “pixel graphics” like this. Really proud of the result. :smile:

Carl

14 Likes

Privacy & Terms