Any hellish dependency stories to share?

Have you ever been bitten by a crazy dependency? Share your story.

General discussion on this lecture.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say. Great lecture! Very insightful and explained well for us wanting to learn.

2 Likes

Actually, that happens to me quite a lot :sweat_smile: . You end spending most of the time fixing buggy dependent scripts than creating features. I used to search for a single script within a huge list of scripts in just one folder

1 Like

i once spend an entire day having to change variable types because i changed the type my currency used when i was starting out as a dev. and because i had so many dependencies it affected my entire project, only to learn that it didn’t give me the effect i wanted and had to undo all the work. (what i learned, use source control, minimize dependencies)

1 Like

I started using Unity a long time ago, there weren’t many tutorials back then so I primarily learned by watching Unity’s official tutorials which teach a lot of bad practices, all of my games used to have a Game Manager, but not like a simple game manager that manages states, no, no, no, a Static Game Manager with references to like other 7 to 9 managers, like UI Manager, and Sound Manager and so many managers, my code looked something similar to this

GameManager.gameManager.soundManager.audioSource.Play(GameManager.gameManager.soundManager.clips[1]);

That obviously created so many circular dependencies, it was a nightmare to debug, I obviously never finished any project back then.

2 Likes

I had that issue too, which added to my dependency nightmare.