A Warm Welcome to the GameDev.tv Community

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself, my name is Larry i’m new to all of this and have just started the unreal course, with very little c++ knowledge before hand.

1 Like

Howdy Larry - welcome to the community :slight_smile:

Hi,
My name is Humberto and I am a professional programmer and an amateur artist. I draw since I can remember and I code for a living.
As a programmer, I feel more comfortable around Java, but I also know PHP, C# (thanks to the Unity course), Javascript, Lua and anything I can put my hand on.
As an artist, I love drawing, pixel art and low poly 3D. I have a tublr and a twitter where you can check some of my works: @BetoRaposa Tumblr BetoRaposa

1 Like

Hi all,

Just signed up for the Unreal course today. Looking forward to delving into the world of game programming. Have been computer programming for ages but have never done any game dev stuff. I would like to be able to write a game one day, will see how we go.

Robert

1 Like

#Hello all!

My name is Zachery Hysong, and I am an independent Web App Developer by trade.

I specialize in the usual HTML5/CSS3, but have been focusing on PHP and JavaScript (w/JQuery) lately.

I am taking the Unreal Course to get a better grasp of how things work in the Game Development world.

Some of my favorite games include Jazz Jackrabbit, MYST, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, and The Legend of Zelda.

##My Game Idea

I don’t want to give out too much information about my idea, because I’m afraid someone will steal it. :slight_smile:
That said, The basic idea is to combine the puzzle environment of MYST with the atmosphere and feeling of Red Dead Redemption, with some Sci-Fi mixed in.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I figure I can use this thread to not only update you all on my progress, but also help keep track of my tools and resources, as many of them are open source.

Tools

####3D Modeling:

• 3DS Max (Student Version)
  • Maya (Student Version)
  • Blender

####Texturing:

• Photoshop CC
  • Gimp
  • I’ll add more as I find / remember them

####Sounds & Music:

• No Idea yet, but I like the idea of a super pretty game with old style MIDI music, like you’d find in Jazz Jackrabbit.

####Engine:

• Unreal Engine 4

Missing Anything?

If I am, please suggest or recommend tools and resources.

And that about wraps it up for now. :blush:

I hope to hear from lots of you with some feedback that can help me to become a great Game Developer.

Thanks, and goodbye for now!

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Greetings from the Emerald City, Seattle, WA. I’m mostly a filmmaker, but VR has opened up a bit of a pandoras box in my head. The possibilities are endless, and that makes me inspired. I kinda feel like a kid again to be honest. But I’m taking this course mainly because I’ve always wanted to learn to code, but just learning the theory doesn’t seem to jibe with my learning style. I like the idea of this course in building a project. Experience is always the best teacher and it is how I learned every piece of software I know. So both UE4 and Unity are on my list in terms workflows. Just in opening and playing around with both UE4 user interface seems much friendlier. But thats probably just my inexperience. Anyway, you guys asked for an intro so there we go :slight_smile:

James

1 Like

Hey, everyone. I’m Dana; I’ll be starting the Unreal course.

I’m looking to become a game developer. I even made a little game in Unreal Engine in seven days as part of my admission to a game programming tech I wanted to go to. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcye6zyxaun5fx1/DungeonQuester64-bit.7z?dl=0
Unfortunately, I didn’t get in. I’m too young to get in on the type of application I was going for, but I won’t be next year. That’s why I’ve come here to learn. Rather than waiting a year to get started, I going to better prepare myself as a programmer and I look forward immersing myself into a good community.

1 Like

Hey there,

I’m also doing the Unreal course i have previous University experience doing Coding so if you need someone to talk to about troubling issues we can work them out together.

Thanks
Jake

1 Like

Hey Jake,

Thank you for the offer. I look forward to building a correspondence.
What point are you at in the course?

1 Like

Hi there I started from the beginning to refresh my knowledge of coding and
I started 2 days ago. I’ve just completed the bulls and cows game. What
about you?

1 Like

I started yesterday and got through a few videos, but I stopped when the Udemy server was having problems and I couldn’t load any more videos. I plan to work on it more today and every day after until I’m finished.

2 Likes

Hi there fellow students and professors alike!

My name is Richard and this is the second course I’ve enrolled on from Ben (the first being the Unity course).

I’m actually head of a startup game company already and the reason I took this Unreal Course is that C++ has been on my TODO list for a very long time now. I’ve always considered it a weakness of mine and I could never get my head around pointers and pointer arithmetic.

So here I am, straight out of beginning Section 03 with escaping the room :smiley:

I have quite a lot of knowledge about Unity and C# so if any of you students need any help with something not working on that front then please feel free to send me a message and I will try to help as soon as I can.

When I’m not progressing on this course or working on my own things I will also try to go through the boards here helping people as I can.

Nice to meet you all!

1 Like

Hello All, my name is Tom and I am interested in using blender to create models to cut out with my 3D CNC router - the X-Carve from inventables.com

1 Like

Its awesome to be apart of the community, I appreiciate the invitation via the Unreal Engine course section 2 video. I am a composer, sound designer, producer, blogger (owner of tenpoundsterling.com) and soon to be game developer. I wish to accomplish rhythm based game programing to my labels soundtrack, and also learn to use Unreal as a form of visionary “CGI” film for my personal youtube channel and labels promotional youtube channel. I am open to team based collaboration and look forward to learning and growing with the community.

1 Like

hello every1, how are you all today?..

my name is hood almighty 38 in December this year, I live in England just outside east London. I used to be a singer in a heavy metal band back in the late 90’s (not famous sadly lol)…
I have for a long time been playing video games and wanted to make my own games for around 5 years, toyed with many game engines and alike but never trained with anything like these courses before.
have recently picked up a few udemy courses like this unreal course I have just started, aswell as a maya modelling course which is fun to learn, hope to have as much fun learning c++ and ue4 game development.
my goals for this course and other courses from udemy is to gain the skills required to make an indie game or 2 :smiley: lol.
I’m sure many of you have the same goals for games development and coding… I look forwards to reading and talking to you all over the coming months and hope to see games made by you all soon aswell as making my own games for you all to enjoy also :slight_smile:

happy game making to you all, hood almighty.

2 Likes

Hey @Sean_Bollinger, I have an Architectural / Visualization Company, I have a Degree in Media Developer and I am getting my Arch Technology Degree now in Canada :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@betoraposa hue hue Br br br LOL Welcome, its nice to have you here!

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am David, I am an IT student and I want to learn how to use Blender and Unity to develop games.
I think I am at the right place!
Sorry for my English, I’m from Belgium and usualy speak french :slight_smile:
See you!

2 Likes

Hello,

My name is Gabriel. I’m from SoCal currently in community college looking to transfer to UCI’s Computer Game Science undergrad program. I have taken a few programming courses in C++ and Java and am excited to learn C#. It is my dream to be a game designer full time and hopefully this Udemy course will be the beginning of that journey in my life.

Thanks for reading!

3 Likes

Hi ,my name is Cristian
I’m from Italy, sorry for my bad english , but i don’t speak or write english wery well.
I use google traslate for the words that I do not know. Anyway, my experience with unreal engine is little, I’m using only a few months ago, I followed many tutorials to learn something, because with a my friend because a friend of mine would like to make an application for mobile devices.
C ++ does not know anything but I want to learn how to best develop our project, and our future projects.
I always wanted to learn programming but for various events of life I never could, now I’m 34, and I can finally realize my desire.
This is one of our work screen

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms