2024 Collab: Week 32 “Isometric” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2024, week 32 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Isometric”.

• Isometric - Isometric projection is a method for visually representing three-dimensional objects in two dimensions in technical and engineering drawings. It is an axonometric projection in which the three coordinate axes appear equally foreshortened and the angle between any two of them is 120 degrees.
  • Subject selected by the previous Week 30, 2024 “A treasure for a pirate" winners xealstrag and mfortunato

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2024-08-10T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

3 Likes

WIP

I don’t want to do a basic isometric scene. Just combining ideas I have.

Not sure what I’m looking for

I couldn’t finish the scene I imagined. I had big problems with the moon surface.
The work process wasn’t correct. I wanted to have sharp moon craters, and decided to do that with sculpting. But it crashed my system (memory) and created havoc on my existing moon UV-map. All things I could manage, when following the correct Blender modeling procedure…

6 Likes

Looking forward to it as it develops, @FedPete .

Just to be on the safe side, is it necessarily on a square base or can it be just an isometric projection on any shaped base?

2 Likes

Isometric view isn’t based on a square (base).
Basically, you camera hasn’t perspective switched on, but “Othographic”

And if you want to be technically precise, certain viewing angles. (camera - Setting up an isometric view - Blender Stack Exchange)

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, I knew what isometric projections are… I had a generous share of technical hand drawing lessons with isometric projections at high school :nerd_face:. I just wondered whether there was a “standard” in this Blender 3D world about presenting square-based images. Thank you for the information!! :grinning:

2 Likes

:wink: no need for a square tile!

2 Likes

It does tend to mean isometric rooms generally it seems in 3d modelling.
A bit more than just in orthographic view I think, as I work almost entirely in Ortho view.

3 Likes

I never actually looked into it very deeply before, but this definition makes a lot of sense, not least because it gives a bit of context about why isometric projection might be used ^v^

2 Likes

Well, for those who cannot stand the suspense, in games, you should be able to move your characters through an isometric scene keeping their size at any point. And vertical lines stand vertical, no matter how far they are, which simplifies many things around :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Hey all! I know I haven’t posted anything for this yet, but I have been working on something and I hope to have it finished by today. And I just saw next week’s prompt; I think I have a couple ideas for that one.

3 Likes

I see I am not the only one :woman_facepalming: :laughing: . Working on it to send something in any case!

I haven’t had any time this week, so I doubt I’ll have anything for this week’s collab. But I will attempt to get something for next week :).

1 Like

Here is my isometric sushi bar :smiley:

11 Likes

Here’s my piece! I followed a tutorial to learn the techniques to make this type of room, but I didn’t want to submit the tutorial room, so I threw this together today. It’s an approximation of my room, albeit a bit rushed.

9 Likes

Here comes my proposal. Not square, but the view could satisfy a martial artist moving around while practising in a quiet place without visual distortions (unless it’s in The Matrix :laughing:). I would build one if I had the means!

With some finishes to the tiles and bending to the roofs:

And, not for points, obviously, but I must remember to add geometry for some modifiers to work as expected. Now the roofs are in place (and I have a to-do list about the Simple deform modifier):

5 Likes

RGB teddy triplets for the win! XD

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your entry.
The new subject week 33 “Make it cure” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Isometric” challenge may select a subject for next week 34 and win a badge.

3 Likes

Congratulations @DustyUnicorn for your submission of an isometric scene. It is very detailed and you play creatively with shadows which generates an extra dimension.

• Megane_Wang - The lighting gives the feeling of a late or early morning in a serene environment. I do think that the basis of an isometric illustration is that it is open.
  • xealstrag - Great soft look and feel.
  • FedPete - Unfinished - Blender crashes when working on the moon surface ( while sculpting the craters ). Which also led to UV-mapping problems.

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone. I try to write down positive ideas and visions in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms