2024 Collab: Week 25 “Magic Trick” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2024, week 25 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Magic Trick”.

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2024-06-22T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t have time to finish my entry for this week. I almost bit off more than I could chew with this one. But I’ll post it in the Show section as I get closer to completion. I hope others were more successful this week getting a scene done.

4 Likes

I thought to myself earlier this week, “what was the weekly challenge again?” then I forgot to search it up. I have work today so I won’t be able to make anything if I don’t now, so I decided to throw something together quickly before bed.

I thought I wanted to do a character, but I didn’t want to pull my anime character model or other premades. Wanted to try making something silly and new.

Now I don’t really like him -he was only given like 10 minutes- and while taking photos I decided the rabbit still looked cute by itself.
Cycles

Eevee

We can do just the rabbit cycles render for my entry. Happens when you’re doing quick midnight blenders lol.

8 Likes

My first rabbit in Blender just -“Poof!”- appeared :grin:. Still working on the idea (and the more I do, the more I think it can be done better :grin: - oh, well, I guess this is called learning) !

This one will be the final version for today:

9 Likes

This is what you quickly came up with? It’s so great! I love the expression on the magician’s face. It reminds me of a claymation cartoon like Gumby. Well done!

We’re all learning. That’s why we’re here. This rabbit reminds me of the old Chuck E cheese animatronic characters. There’s something both sweet and sinister about that rabbit. A very “Five Nights At Freddy’s” kind of vibe. I totally dig it.

1 Like

I’m trying to do bigger projects, like animations. And revived some old project assets. Improvement of the mesh, more attention to the armature. Thinking about what bone movements I need. Then I thought I needed a test to see how things work. So I made a test reel to isolate problems.
It’s not entirely magic, but the video shows a little trick…

• I need to re-rig, I forgot to detach to body from the legs.
  • Do not use EMPTIES for animation, use bones.
  • Some strange pole bone behavior
  • The legs have a bad limit on reaching the floor (foot needs to stay while body moves)
  • Arm and legs mesh stick out (I don’t use weight paint, but object bone relations
  • Arm movement etc, are to slow. Need to fiddle with the graph editor. But wat to use the NLA editor

8 Likes

looks good, you’ve put alot of character into it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great Bender model, FedPete. The animation is really cute. Heh, as if we couldn’t tell what he was doing before he turned around :smile:

1 Like

Also, I’d recommend doing the whole render, not just the bunny by itself. There’s a lot of whimsy in the spaghetti-armed magician.

1 Like

Bunnies a classic!
Have you ever wondered where they came from to the hat?

8 Likes

Hahahah, very nice! I was exactly thinking about the same question, though my “answer” had been more like a humanly-cosy place under a magician’s hat :grin:

2 Likes

This is brilliant and kinda creepy. Those poor bunnies have no idea what’s in store for them. And they look so trusting too!

3 Likes

So I zagged a bit when it came to a rabbit out of a hat. I’m not entering it this week as it’s not finished (I’m such a perfectionist) but I’m really stoked with the way this is turning out. I haven’t painted textures yet, just selected faces and added flat colors (with the exception of the coat and hat - I’m experimenting with a procedural shader). I’m currently unwrapping the models so I can get cracking on texture painting. I added lights and some volumetric fog to make it look finished, but it’s all smoke and mirrors (ha ha ha) I hope to have this textured soon. Hope you all enjoy the work in progress.

10 Likes

if you didn’t said that its work in progress we wouldn’t be able to guess it. Great work!

The emotions of the participants are shown more clearly than in the original. The wizard is scared, surprised, he is completely unprepared to pull out the crocodile. But the crocodile is deliriously happy to escape from the hat. Its like his lifelong dream had come true!

On unrelated note… Now it seems to me that this crocodile grew up with the bunnies from my entry… and he was boooooooooooooored…

4 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your entry.
The new subject week 26 “Ooh Fuzzy” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Magic Trick” challenge may select a subject for next week 27 and win a badge.

2 Likes

Ooh, we have a crossover! I think that’s a wonderfully hilarious thought - my croc in your bunny world. I can imagine the poor croc just wanting to play but the bunnies just ignoring it. I guess this croc is a vegetarian :joy:.

3 Likes

This story is better than what I came up with! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: ignoring a playful crocodile is exactly how bunnies will behave!! my bunnies never agreed to play with cats.

Darker version

Crocodile is not a vegetarian, but bunnies breed so quickly that they don’t notice disappearances. This croc is so fat that he won’t be able to get out of this hat, he won’t fit through…
I felt very sorry for the bunnies. :cry:

2 Likes

Now I feel sorry for the croc - he looks so happy right now. Wait until he realizes he can’t get through the hat :rofl:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms