2024 Collab: Week 16 “Shrine” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2024, week 16 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Shrine”.

• A shrine that honors something precious. - A shrine is a holy or space dedicated to a specific deity, ancestor, hero, martyr, saint, daemon, or similar figure of respect, wherein they are venerated or worshipped. Shrines often contain idols, relics, or other such objects associated with the figure being venerated. A shrine at which votive offerings are made is called an altar.
  • Subject selected by the previous Week 14, 2024 “Surveillance" winner ShadowFireSage

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2024-04-20T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

4 Likes

Update:

I liked the right side (sky), but it plays a big role in the equality of left and right.
The little person was too dark, so I decided to put him in full sunlight.
Still having problems with the rock, too many vertices, and cleanup is still a lot of work. So I did the composition first, adding some camels for size reference.
The stairs aren’t visible. I would like to have flames, but too heavy on this machine (except for a bitmap).

Final

Changed my mind

Instead of late in the day, now full sun.

18 Likes

nice use of silhouette to provide both scale and a focal point

1 Like

Wip :wink:

10 Likes

13 Likes

10 Likes

A shrine for rituals

My first project where I did nearly everything from scratch.

Breakdown can be found here

10 Likes

Then it is hard work and time consuming!
If you are proud of some object, then mark then as an asset and clean the model a bit.
Re-use then will be easier!

3 Likes

Shinto shrines are in vogue for this challenge, I see :shinto_shrine:

Here’s my own take – animating between a day-to-night scene:

And a frame for the vote:

12 Likes

Unexpected animation, I like it.
Nice bouncing effect (using a graph editor function?)

1 Like

In this case… just some hand-crafted, artisanal curves :smiley:

I guess it’s sort of a personal preference, but while Blender’s “Bounce” keyframe interpolation is a decent “stock” effect, I tend to prefer controlling the overshoot/undershoot directly.

1 Like

Interesting topic. I worked on it for several days, but could not find my final vision. Perhaps it would be worth changing the desert to another environment, but there is no time left. I am attaching several other options, but the first one will be the final one. It’s the simplest, but… I think it has own style. The rest are too overloaded.

Too symbolic.

GIF

I’m also attaching an alternative scene inspired by the @FedPete giants, but I’m not putting it into the finals - it contains models that I made before this challenge. Plus, it seems to me that it is inappropriate - I just couldn’t make it erotically tasty

12 Likes

There is no rule to use other objects, made earlier. If it’s your own work then it’s ok.
If created a flute in an other project and you needed it here again. Then why to create a new flute? Re-use what is in your asset lib.

1 Like

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your entry.
The new subject week 17 “Synthwave” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Shrine” challenge may select a subject for next week 18 and win a badge.

2 Likes

I see your struggle!
Maybe because of the “Kil your darling” fixation? … stone statue, water

Having a stone statue, but where does it fit in the scene (story, composition).
I like your last entry, it’s mysterious, does fit the topic well. Rule of thirds, view lines. Could also have streaming water from the hands …

If it is a person washing herself after a desert walk, then why completely covered in sand and dust… When the temple (building) is destroyed, then why is the statue so pristine (intact).

I love your work and can imagine the creative difficulties you have/had.

5 Likes

@Lintari congratulations on your beautiful sculpted pose of a lady at the pond. Maybe not so noticeable, but look at the hidden object in the water.

• CypherPoet - Colorful mysterious (animated) scene, which is a great idea.
  • RayMobula - Spooky idea, thank you for a detailed project walk through
  • FedPete - The stateus could be more distinctive and the scale of things is not great (little figure, camels)
  • Joey_Cuevas - Bright (sunny), high altitude scene. Make the mountains a but fuzzy (camera dept), now they lack details (soft)
  • Rao - Improve shadows, see where the sun is places on the picture. If you see the shadow of the bridge, it has wrinkles. i miss that shadow effect on your shine.

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone. I try to write down positive ideas and visions in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

6 Likes

Privacy & Terms