2024 Collab: Week 15 “Secret Puzzle Box” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2024, week 15 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Secret Puzzle Box”.

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2024-04-13T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

5 Likes

Not sure what to do with it …

Fine-tuning

Final: Secret Jewellry Puzzel box

16 Likes

I thought of a chinese puzzle box in the first place. But it turned out otherwise.

14 Likes

It fits the subject!
What puzzles me, are those Minecraft blocks … :wink:

1 Like

A maze is a type of puzzle right. Made completely with nodes.
I am trying to challenge myself to contribute to these even when I think my renders aren’t good.

16 Likes

That is the idea behind the Collab. Trying new things out and or sharpening Blender knowledge.

4 Likes

15 Likes

Not very fancy but it should be a secret opening box.
Side with the draw has to be pushed sideways before it will pull out.
Open front one you can see the notch. Back left fully closed, back right pushed sideways prior to pulling open.

14 Likes

I decided to practice what I learned about animation in this one. It still feels a little rough; I wasn’t quite sure how to improve it and still wanted to get it rendered by the deadline, so decided to just render it out.

credits

Wood Texture: StephenWoods
While I technically made it in the materials course, it doesn’t feel right taking credit for it.

12 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your entry.

The new subject week 16 “Shrine” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Secret puzzle box” challenge may select a subject for next week 17 and win a badge.

2 Likes

I know this one!
Only as a squared box, with a flattened pyramid on top.
Put the pointy top on table and turn it around, then those pins fly outward and the box can be opened.

The same for an egg shaped puzzle, you need to hit it on a table to break it open. It uses a metal pin and a magnet.

I like those wooden puzzles. I have a box full of them.

3 Likes

Sounds like I might have been paying too much attention to the mechanism when I was doing research. It makes sense that it would have a point to spin around… I guess the handle could work for that purpose.

That egg puzzle’s solution is very thematically. I also like the kind of puzzle that could drive an adult crazy for a while and be opened by a toddler in seconds. :laughing:
Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Did this for the collab but left it rendering, forgot about it and fell asleep and woke up the next day.
Decided to post it anyway.

7 Likes

:+1:

2 Likes

@Joey_Cuevas Congratulations on your submission of a secret puzzle box. It was a close call, thanks to all the voters. Although it looks simple, it also looks very natural and realistic. Like a snapshot with a simple camera. Hard shadows, close, and mysterious contraptions.

• NP5 - Realistic looking, nicely placed lighting to see the floor texture. Could be more playful (something inside the box), rotation of the boxes.
  • Brad-Fish - Nice interpretation of a puzzle box. Didn’t thought of that. If you improve the lighting it could be a winner.
  • FedPete - Over done, to much bling bling. While the emitting floor was a nice idea, it “blurs” the main subject (also the use of lens flares). Box solution: Turn golden question marks to get 5 points.
  • zeRgenTa - natural looking box and lighting. Now you can see a good use of generated materials. A pity you didn’t spend more time on the presentation. Adding an environment (floor plane), etc., making a story.
  • Oneirophrenia - Very impressive project, if you created this using Geo-Nodes. Try to play more with lights. All sides have the same intensity (value), lacking a form of visual depth.
  • Willrun - such a creative idea, I like this one as a puzzle. I think it will help the scene if the shadows aren’t that harsh.

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone. I try to write down positive ideas and visions in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms