2023 Collab: Week 41 “Small Worlds” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2023, week 41 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Small Worlds”.

• Small Worlds - Small environments, scenes, or dioramas. Think tiny landscapes, miniature cityscapes, or even microscopic ecosystems.
  • Subject selected by the previous Week 39 “Something old” winner Myn

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. At the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2023-10-14T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

6 Likes

To quote a Disney song, “It’s a small world after all.” This is probably a different result that was intended by the challenge. I was working on an Earth model already so a view from the moon does show it as a small world.

8 Likes

This is not an entry, but I see my little Earth and want to show of a closer view.

10 Likes

Try to add a blue glow (air) …
The earth texture set I use contains also night city lights …
Which makes the night side a bit more interesting.

Have fun!

8 Likes

I love creating low poly dioramas. Hence I decided to participate after a long time. Here is my entry for this week:

(Rendered using cycles)

14 Likes

I made this diorama in August when I was playing around with creating fur in Blender. Since I made it anyway and it’s the topic on this week’s challenge, why not participate?
So here is my duckling diorama.
I added an overview picture and a zoom of the duckling.

12 Likes

Please tell us with which image you are taking part in the Blender Collab!
By default, we take the last uploaded entry (in this case the duck only)

2 Likes

The duck only is fine.
Thank you FedPete

1 Like

World in a bottle

10 Likes

I’m loving all of the entries and how varied they are! Very difficult to pick a favourite so far!

2 Likes

A small world in a snow globe

11 Likes

10 Likes

A tiny world that started On High. Life exploded during the long Descent of the Middle, and continued to develop at a steady pace all through the Long Flutter. A shadow in the Far Deep claims a little more of the brightness each generation. Scientists have speculated for eons on the nature of this shadow. Conspiracy nuts are certain it’s a government experiment gone wrong, and mad doom preachers howl it is the Great Darkness that will swallow the world.

8 Likes

Yes, I need to add the athmosphere bleed off into space. I’ve downloaded the night lights 8k image from NASA that I will add so when night comes around you will see the night side. I am thinking of a mix shader with detcting how much light is is on the surface to contol. Also need to make the night lights image into an emission so you can see without light.

4 Likes

My first attempt to use Grease pencil for a project.

Grease pencil UI and setup on pencils, layers, and depth, is hard to get used to.
While I click and navigate with ease between meshes, materials, etc. on a 3D object.
With Grease pencil, I was continuously looking for options, missing features, and erroneous configuration choices. A new learning path is to be undertaken.

But here it is. The sphere is 3D, and the rest is Grease pencil. Have fun!

12 Likes

Oh, I so wanted to take part in this one, but didn’t have enough time to make something new… So instead my (not so old) experiment in creating dioramas:

11 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
The new subject week 42 “Tempest beast of the end times” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Small worlds” challenge may select a subject for next week 43 and win a badge.

5 Likes

Our congratulations for this week’s Collab go to @Myn and @bOBaN. So many entries, so many votes, and still two first places. But they are well crafted and composed!

• Breagha - Fun idea for a small world. Technically not much wrong with it. Because of the ice crystal, I would expect an icy landscape/town setting.
  • Kzanna - Maybe you run out of time, but having multiple small worlds is a good concept. But every globe could take a week. Try to improve the materials used (cork …).
  • Michael_Legrande - yes, the earth is just a dust particle in this universe. In space, there is no air to scatter light. So the moonshadows are sharper and less dimmed.
  • Revan - Beautifull work! I like the brightness and color schema. Excellent duck fur. Could use more environmental work.
  • deezy - Very nice low poly scene. Personally, I think the waves are too strong and distract the center subject.
  • Meg_s - Good small-world example. I think the lighting of the subject could be improved. Which is always a difficult subject.
  • FedPete - Bummer … Well it was my first Grease pencil entry. Many things went wrong. I need to add shadow, and cleaner lines (did you know Grease pencil has also a “sculpt mode” …). So many new things to learn. I’ll be back …

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone. I try to write down positive ideas and visions in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

8 Likes

It’s a great first attempt and captures the subject very well! I am actually surprised that no one voted for your entry! It has really nice color palette too!

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms