2023 Collab: Week 23 “NCC-1701 U.S.S. ENTERPRISE” - VOTE CLOSED

This is the Blender Collaboration 2023, week 23 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, have fun, learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “NCC-1701 U.S.S. ENTERPRISE”.

• NCC-1701 U.S.S. ENTERPRISE - William Shatner’s the original Star Trek tv series NCC-1701 U.S.S. ENTERPRISE Starship
  • Subject selected by the previous Week 21 “Crime scene” winner DANB1

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2023-06-10T21:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @ BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

5 Likes

Not participating!
Just fiddling.
To do it right a lot of texture painting.

15 Likes

Tribble trouble!

Cycles 55 secs render.

15 Likes

Great bright lighting, love it. Just as in modern SciFi.
If I’m correct, Tribbles have fur … not needles.

2 Likes

15 Likes

Yes, they was soft. Now I am tormented by the question of how to make a tribble with fur, not needles. does anyone know? Because… I also wanted to make a picture with tribbles :sweat_smile:

@NP5, Cool corridor, very high-tech. And the feeling “They’re coming!!” :scream: :rofl:

Edit: Tried to make my own tribble. Played with hair. The third option, IMHO, is the best (yellow and dark brown tribbles), if you do not look at them from below. But they still don’t look soft. :disappointed:

10 Likes

You need to comb the hair. In particle edit, use the comb tool. And play the the Root and Tip diameter in the Hair shape.

If you want more than one color, you can create more than one particle system

You can hide and show just the hair particles you’re working on to make blender crash less often. But with hair, it will probably still crash occasionally.

7 Likes

I used the quick fur in 3.5 all geo nodes based. Particle hair is the ‘past’ now, or soon!

@Kzanna Yes I should have combed it. But wanted something done and usable as I keep missing these collabs! Time time!
I might revise it, if I have time, I had enough trouble manipulating the geo node parameters. I saw the originals were more simple, poorer than I remembered. I quite like the spikey effect now, lol. It is how they will look if they remake it! :rofl:

2 Likes

I tried a comb. Let’s be honest - I will never become a hairdresser. :rofl: But combed (shaggy) tribbles look better.

Eevee

Cycles

Not figured out how to work with hair thickness.

in 3.3 there are no nodes for fur?

10 Likes

I was using 3.5 I am pretty sure they are quite new, 3.3 is ‘old’ lol.

3 Likes

I think they look great! I particularly like the orange one in the bottom right. It’s so furry looking. I haven’t worked with the hair in a long time. Looks like the ‘fur’ geometry node changes were added in 3.5. Blender changes so quickly. I just upgraded to 3.41.

3 Likes

I love the tribbles!

I’ve been looking at procedural planet textures lately so decided to add a little Enterprise battle to an ongoing project.

The ships are deliberately small because a) I like space scenes where ships just feel tiny, and b) to hide how bad the ships are. One of those more than the other…

13 Likes

I’m a Star Wars fan so I don’t know much about Star Trek, but here’s Enterprise from Azur Lane having some fun with an Enterprise model

7 Likes

@Joey_Cuevas She really does look like she’s having fun :grinning:
Maybe try to additionally illuminate the girl. The picture is too evenly lit, and she merges a little with the wall.

@Myn Nice planet! :heart_eyes: (What is it, procedural planet textures? I also need to make a planet for my project)
I think that the ships could have been made a little larger… although, perhaps, as is they are on the same scale as the planet. Realistic picture. :+1:

@DANB1 :heart_eyes: Cool!

My variant. Other than Spock and Kirk, the most memorable thing from the show for me is the tribbles. The plot is inspired by a crime theme that I missed

The second and third variants of the corridor. I don’t like both, but the my imagination refuses to work any further. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Great story

Changed lighting and background following @Kzanna advice

6 Likes

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the new subject week 24 “Gift” has already started. The winner of this week’s “Enterprise” challenge may select a subject for next week 25 and wins a badge.

3 Likes

@DANB1 congratulations with your Enterprise NCC-1701 textured model. Well done!

It was a close call, with one vote difference.

• Joey_Cuevas - I miss a bit of StarTrek feeling. Floor reflection (plant base is a bit strange). I’ve no clue what’s happening there, and the model pose looks forced (static).
  • Myn - I understand modeling difficulties, but now it’s very tiny. You could do it differently in composition. Don’t show the complete ship, but only the phaser tower (gun) on the deck of the NCC. then you need the model a bit of the deck and a gun. Shooting at a tiny subject.
  • Kzanna - Great story. Great solution by choosing a curved wall. It could be more NCC look-and-feel (use references).
  • NP5 - I love your SciFy tube lighting. Clean and bright. I do miss fur. Now it looks tumbleweed.

Note: I don’t want to offend anyone. I try to write down positive ideas and visions in my simple use of the English language. I am also sometimes more inspired by a particular subject or solution. I’m also learning from you!

2 Likes

Very disappointed that I missed the Star Trek one, but I like what you guys came up with! TNG is one of my favorite shows of all time. I’ve been working on game dev projects so I haven’t had time for pure blender renders, but I miss the collab. How are you guys doing?

1 Like

Privacy & Terms