2022 Collab: Week 9 “Antique" - CLOSED

@ZachDude I know the feeling… Every single week

2 Likes

Banksy =)

2 Likes

Send it, I don’t care =)

Oh, nice! I never thought of using sculpting for adding wear and tear.
But my confusion is that I thought sculpting is for high poly models. How will it work for a low poly model like the above? Will it not add too much geometry?

2 Likes

Well, you can do it on the high poly model, and then bake that as a normal onto your low poly model. Effectively “faking detail”. There’s a dozen tutorials out there that can explain that process better than I, though.

2 Likes

I see. Good to know. Though I don’t understand what is meant by “bake that as a normal” :wink:

I do sometimes look up YouTube videos but honestly, I want to stay away from them. I spent years trying to learn from YouTube and could never really make any progress. By following the Blender course here, I have made more progress in the last 2 months than I ever did in years.

I still have 3-4 courses left (character, environment, VFX…). I am sure I will learn all of these different techniques in time. Slow and steady is the game…

But thanks a lot for your input. I have a list that contains the techniques I have heard but don’t understand. Then I can cross off items once I learn them in the course. This one certainly goes on that list :+1:

4 Likes

Well, for baking normals in particular, it’s touched on in Grant’s dragon course on here (and maybe others, idk yet), or Blender Guru’s Anvil tutorial on Youtube, if you want to check out full tutorials that use the concept. But basically, normals are one of the many types of things handled in the shaders - you have color, obviously, and roughness, metalness, etc etc etc. “Normals” are (to my newb understanding) basically a “faked 3D” effect telling the program where light ought to fall as if those alterations and imperfections were there. Essentially, normals are your way of telling the software “Pretend this rock has a crack in it.” Baking is something you can do through Cycles, and you can use it to create your own customized normals from a complex object, for use on a similar, simpler object.

Hope that in some way was helpful.

2 Likes

Cool. This kinda cleared up what baking is. I also heard that we can create high poly assets and then convert them to low poly for importing in games, or something like that. I guess that is also something similar then.

2 Likes

Vote for Antique

We @BlenderCollab have a few days to vote. You can vote fast but also think slowly about design, colors, technique, difficulty, subject, realism, etc. Choose consciously and not on your own entry.
And the new subject week 10 " Peace has already started. The winner of this week’s “Antique” challenge may select a subject for week 11.

4 Likes

Oof, i guess i got confused with the deadline and missed the time window for final submission. I´m just in for the fun and experience. I hope it´s okay to post my results here, since my pic in the voting doesn´t depict my progress on the project. It was just a quick screenshot - and seeing it in the voting honestly looks to me like i was lazy. Which i wasn´t.

My final render is not the refined end-result i was going for - had some time issues on my side - but anyway i learned a lot and look forward to the next collabs. So i just post the model as it looks now in my viewport (hurts a little bit). Great work everyone, a perfect sunday to y´all! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Hello everyone, this is my result - Antique wooden drawer with books and quill. I am a beginner in blender. I made this scene with the help of couple of videos.
This is my first time entry in this fun challenge and look forward to the next. :smiley:

14 Likes

@Kasimir @Sagar27 Nice to see you here. Unfortunately you missed the deadline for the voting but that’s not the objective of the Collab anyways.

I hope to see you guys on the next ones =)

6 Likes

Very nicely done clock.
Hopefully, people will look down and see the later version!

3 Likes

Good entry as a beginner. It is a tough week this time, many entries could be winners most other weeks. Taking part and developing your Blender abilities is the real point though. Always ask if you need help, many look in on the collab and will happily advise.

3 Likes

I can tell you what it was xD It was a mummy sweeping a tomb getting alarmed by some sort of adventurer getting close to where the mommy was.

The issue was the rig, I model the mummy’s arms in an ‘A’ pose instead of a ‘T’ pose, that caused me a lot of issues, the auto-weighted rig didn’t know which vertices to grab and I don’t remember how to fix that, I tried to use the Weight Paint mode but it just didn’t work as expected, probably due to my lack of experience with those tools. I also tried fixing the mummy’s arms to make a ‘T’ pose, but it just didn’t look right, I spent two days trying to fix this with no progress whatsoever. Another issue was that I had to fix way too many bones, the finger bones were moving part of the leg and not the fingers, and the Weight Paint mode, again, probably because I need practice, was giving me way too many troubles.

But I learned quite a lesson with all of this, I also need to retake the old Character course to remember how to rig properly, and maybe just because I kinda miss Mike :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I had to give it to @igorfv. You nailed all the little details fantastically and the texture is just amazing, I also love the effort you put into researching little things, like the whole “IIII” instead of “IV” discussion.

I also liked @sezpul entry a lot, I have a soft spot for entries that tell some sort of story but I didn’t vote for you because of the guy in the yellow shirt, his arm and shoulder look kinda weird, but I loved everything else, especially the clay feeling your whole composition has.

5 Likes

Sometimes its easier to start from scratch rather than try to repair the mistakes. Well. Good luck on next week :+1:

5 Likes

Thanks, man. I agree entirely, rigging and topology are headache-inducing. I crammed the poses before the deadline. The kids were more fun to pose and the adults were annoying. I actually hate the elbow on the pregnant lady and that I couldn’t get it to bend the way I wanted without looking horrible.

3 Likes

Me too. That’s what got me sitting and staring at his entry, as the “story” told it all.

6 Likes

@igorfv Congratulations on your beautiful vintage pocket watch. Your scene composition is really beautiful and well thought out. You’ve added a lot of tiny details, like the gap in the ring. mechanics and chain. It looks complete.

• Mateusz - Your furniture is beautifully crafted. The furniture has old-style and looks well maintained. This is in contrast to the back wall. It looks very worn out. Poor maintenance, I think the contrast between the styles is too great.
  • Kax - A nice used toy, but not so vintage and antique. The floor texture doesn’t help to enhance the antique fibe it should bring.
  • deezy - a very good start, love the concept. But I miss the finishing touch (texture, the needle part, turn pendulum) .
  • ADITYA_SAHU - A great idea of having a piece of antique in glass on display in a museum. To express the scene to the viewer more cleaner, You’ve could add more details, like a sign with info, etc. More museum-like.
  • Kasimit - A pity that you’ve mismatched the deadline. Your late entry looks very well crafted. Pay more attention to the background too. Let it blend into the scene.
  • Willrun - I think, because of the loss of camera depth (no focus blur), all items are asking for the viewer’s attention. There is no central object to look for. Is it the globe, is it the pocket watch. I miss the rule of thirds a bit.
  • sezpul - Really, really a great story!! It is so much fun to explore the scene and compare it between the parts. It’s my personal favorite. Your storytelling is the real treat in this scene! It should have more votes.
  • Yee - Increase the details. I’ve seen your other work, you can do it.
  • mimsybean - Your model and material choice are excellent! A real piece of antique. Add more tiny details, improve the background, use HDRI images for more natural reflections. It looks promising for the future
  • Sagar27 - Great piece of furniture, the books are a nice touch and enhance the antique feeling of the scene.

To all participants, it was a great collab challenge. So many different views on the subject of Antique. Well done. And do remember, closing time late Saturday night, or early in the Sunday morning.

Have fun, stay healthy, think of people who are in desperate need.

6 Likes

Privacy & Terms