2022 Collab: Week 6 “Viking(s)” - CLOSED

Great news! MB-Labs has been updated and works without modification with Blender 3.0.

2 Likes

Good to hear someone is still looking after it.

I think trying some human height viewpoint for the camera may help the scene look better. Perhaps a ship view coming into the pier?

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll give it a try!

1 Like

Yay a new artist joining the collab! :grin:
I learned pretty early that adding an HDRI image to a scene is one of the quickest ways to make it look more realistic. Here’s a tutorial only a couple minutes long if you’re not sure how: :slight_smile:

Blender 2.8 How to setup an hdri environment background - YouTube

4 Likes

We have 2 new artists and both projects are looking really good.

3 Likes

Thanks, I was wondering how to do that!
How about this? I also changed the camera like NP5 suggested.

3 Likes

Or rather, more like my original idea:

10 Likes

I like it! Something to be said for each image. There’s nice symmetry in the lower camera position, but I also like the first image, looks like concept art for an isometric style. Starry sky HDRI helps too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I prefer the dark one… If you create just a small part of a boat it will look like someone is looking from inside it.

I’d add some torches to make it look like there’s life in this camp/village.

I also like the simetry this pov creates.

2 Likes

Cool, thank you all! I’ll experiment with everything and upload a final render tomorrow :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Final
None are allowed to go to “The Sacred Mountains”

7 Likes

Hey, I found out about this weekly challenge last week and thought that I’d give it a go.

13 Likes

Very different stylisation!

1 Like

Welcome to the collab. A good scene entry, a window on the past.

Final:
Hiccup’s previously unknown cousin Sticcup

Summary

Sculpting was a mixture of ZBrush and Blender, and some texturing done in Substance Painter. An extremely small amount of post processing in Krita.

My first attempt at hair and fur in Blender. Try as I might, I just couldn’t quite capture Hiccup’s likeness to my satisfaction. As usual, a lot learned and certainly some fun in doing so!

15 Likes

@Willrun this looks like 8-bit HD. I think I like it. What would the grass look like as clumps/patches?

@zeRgenTa really liking yours too. Very nice materials and perspective on the subject. A small particle system or subtle sculpting around where the hard objects meet the sand would make it look less flat in those areas.

@ZachDude he looks incredible, really. The hair is on point, the fur though, looks like it could use some very subtle roughness settings and a smaller root diameter.

3 Likes

Question: Why do you usually use Zbrush to sculpt instead of doing directly on Blender? Is zBrush better or are you simply more used to it?

1 Like

The basic scene is done… it’s just missing a kid with a viking helmet holding the controller.
The problem is that I have no idea on how to do it… I have tomorrow to figure it out.

11 Likes

It has a Breath of the Wild vibe… I’m not sure why but I like it

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms