2021 Collab: Week 44 “Once upon a time in Wild Wild West, there was …” CLOSED

This is the Blender collaboration 2021, week 44 challenge. Don’t be afraid to join, a lot of us are beginners. This is all to practice, to have fun, to learn, and get together.

This week’s subject is “Once upon a time in Wild Wild West, there was …”.

• Once upon a time in Wild Wild West, there was … - Finish the sentence and complete it with the scene.
  • Subject selected by the previous week 42 winner Mateusz

The rules are simple. 1 subject, 1 entry, 1 week.
You create whatever object or scene or whatever you can think of that has something to do with the subject. It can be as simple or complicated as you want, all entries are welcome!
Post your picture here in this thread. And at the end of the week, we start to vote. And if you are the winner, you may choose the next subject and win a unique badge.

Deadline: 2021-11-06T22:55:00Z

If you want to stay informed of the @BlenderCollab ?
Subscribe or unsubscribe to this “BlenderCollab” group.

4 Likes

Hi.
Working on bunched grass blades I found out cool trick I thought I’d share.
There is a chance everybody know this so if you do, just keep reading anyway :slight_smile:
So I’ve modelled this bunch of grass. nothing fancy just some planes with loop cuts and bit of proportional editing. Copy rotate and so on until I got this.

Now on to some colour and I got this

Its not that bad its green but how about some randomness to it?
And here where the lazy kicked in. Normally I would pick few of grass blades and assign one shade of green and so on with several different shades until its kinda random.
What if it all came in one material and do the “random” of the bat? Less work right?
And thats the cool stuff I discovered today. Lame right?

Keeping interpolation at constant in colour ramp and remember grass blades need to be separate objects. And boom! 1 material to all and you get this:

Now bunch it all in to one group like “Grass bunch” make sure origins are set centre bottom at the root.
Rotate it all -90 on the x and apply rotation for particles setup. For some reason it works like that on Blender 2.8
Pick some vertices assign them to a group. Use that group in particle settings. Emit from vertices. Render as collection Interpolated children in count of 4 and I got lovely row of Randomly Coloured Grass with one material setup. Easy peasy.

9 Likes

Already part of my toolbox set, using it daily! :wink:
Very handy.
There is also something with ‘white noise’. It’s also random, but different that just ‘noise’.
But my laptop can’t handle difficult material nodes.

5 Likes

Creating more assets for the scene. Here some speed modelling of Bison Skull. Low detail should be fine for that shot.

And off to work :slight_smile:

9 Likes

One more for the day :slight_smile:

11 Likes

m

8 Likes

…a lonely cactus with golden spines. Will add some company if I get a chance :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Cactus is no more lonely.

8 Likes

Oh. But sepatared from his friend by earthquake.
This story has a deep roots.
:see_no_evil:
Nice cactai models :+1:

3 Likes

I see ‘Divorce’.

1 Like

Earth quoke, hearts broke. Who really knows what happened there…

3 Likes

I got a little carried away by this part of my scene :upside_down_face:
And I think I’ll proceed after the challenge. There’s a lot of cool stuff to do with shaders and details.

8 Likes

You went to town with this one. Looks amazing already :+1:

4 Likes

You actually made me laugh out loud. :laughing:

2 Likes

I happen to agree with @Mateusz and can’t imagine what more you could add to the stagecoach that isn’t already there. Very nicely done. :grinning:

3 Likes

Excellent must have been a lot of research too.

3 Likes

Yeah, the reinforced bank coach suspension is really complicated.

3 Likes

I had some fun making this scene. “Once upon a time in the Wild Wild West, there was a spaghetti tumble weed.”

I liked to play with the exposer a bit. Looks quite a bit different on my good monitor than on my second one.

What do you think?

7 Likes

From a spaghetti western no doubt! Good scene.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms