2021 Collab: Week 07 “Underground” - CLOSED

Yes, I concur.
Thank you, for your support and attention!

2 Likes

I’m glad you joined and are putting time and effort to giving feedback! I already learnt a lot thanks to your input!

3 Likes

Teasing is an invitation to do things better. Look where you began and what you just accomplished. If I’ve seen this few years back I would be convinced that the new Diablo spoiler just leaked.
Be proud of what you did and we all look forward to see what amazing things you will show us next.

3 Likes

Francly, just a few tweaks and I can hardly reconglise the place. So much more realistic. Be proud as you did a great progress in such a short amount of time.

Again, just my 2 cents.
Ceiling - change diffuse to gray. This will create separation from groung floor texture. Yes - that simple. No satturation and you have a concrete slabs rather than wood vinil. Make new instance and chnage tiling - it will break illusion even more.
I would still prefer to see interior lights yellow-ish and exterior blue-ish. Internal lights - imagine candescent, exterior - blue sky.
Drop light down to get back reflections from the doors and windows.
I like the booths/benches, but they break the illussion. If there is a cavity behind the bench, what is in there? What would you put there in the real live situation? I know you use a simple way to make more space, but every space element has to have purpose.
To improve - make top light narrow, just behind Baker street name-tag, and make straight or curved wall right behind the backrest on the bench. This will show there is a dedicated area to rest with illumination, but you can’t put anything beyond that.

4 Likes

Of course! I was actually teasing them to teas me more :grin:. I most probably wouldn’t attempt this kind of project without encouragement from @FedPete and @NP5. And I’m grateful for it! And all the awesome feedback I get thanks to being part of the :leaf: community!

3 Likes

Ok, final submission (:crossed_fingers:). I’ve tweaked some small things, re-baked lighting in higher quality, cranked up quality, tweaked post processing. Here is the result:

And higher quality video (4k version is still being processed by YT):

And for those of you that might be interested, but didn’t noticed it earlier - here is the “development diary” (warning: includes teasing! :joy:): Collab 2021W07 - The Last Stand

12 Likes

Let this be an inspiration to others… It’s important to start, just start… learn, porogress and improve. There are hidden treasures in this forum - dig in and reap the rewards.
If you have a question - ask. As there cannot be better reward as seeing a great things accomplished.

2 Likes

You did a great job.
My only 2c is - add roughtness mask to your main character (Green guy). He looks like he just came out of shower. I know facing overwealming enemies make you sweat, but someone could benefit from some roughthness mask. Too glossy, too reflective
Great video, but there are always small tweaks as you already know.

2 Likes

Thank you! :heart:

He has it… and it looks OK in Blender. … eee, it doesn’t (just watched the video I made in Blender and I now see he is too shiny there as well). I have to re-paint the ogre (Gurukk :grin:) as I did it in Blender following the course. And not only that was my first paint (and first bake), but also I’ve learnt substance in the meantime…

Once again - thanks for noticing it!

Edit: for now let’s say it’s hot in hell and he is all sweaty from the axe swinging :sweat_smile:

You are too kind :smiley:. This video has big things to add and fix there :smiley:. But I’m quite proud that I manage to make it in such a short span of time… Seems that working under time pressure is my thing (ofc, I had to cut so many corners to get here, that’s not even funny :sweat_smile:).

3 Likes

There area always corners to cut… That’s the industry for you. Especially under pressure as always.
The important this is to deliver what’s in your head VS what you produce.

2 Likes

12 Likes

Yay! You made it! Good job!

… and looking good as well!

2 Likes

Thanks… the day I lost I would have spent on extra clutter like dirt, scratches, piping, cabling, lanterns, and piles of rocks. I’m terrible at estimating my time still.

4 Likes

Welcome to the club :sweat_smile: Each time we learn something new, also about time estimation - that’s important :slight_smile:

I was so busy working on my submission that I didn’t pay enough attention to other’s work. Now I’ve looked through them all again… And I can only say that I’m flabbergasted. The quality of submissions this week is phenomenal! And at first I didn’t think that ‘underground’ can be so productive and inspiring subject… Great job everybody! :partying_face:

4 Likes

I’ve been doing blender for a little over 1 year now. I had zero experience with anything 3D or artistic in any way.

3 Likes

The video is wonderful @bOBaN, I’m amazed at all of it, but especially the flames of the torches and such. I’ve never tried animating any kind of flame, but yours is so realistic, it stuns me how much of it is in the video, and so well done. :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m really liking the finishing touches. You’ve done a great job, especially the length of the train and station. Those aren’t easy to do, but you did them masterfully. :grinning:

4 Likes

I’ll definitely redo this scene, even for me this wasn’t the expected result. Waiting for my new mouse to be delivered… :yum:. And for sure I’m ready to learn more. Thanks.

4 Likes

Oh great, I’m also nearing one year. I started Blender all sudden, around June, I was looking to learn some new skills in the lockdown, and tried to get AutoCAD but couldn’t get the student’s license, immediately googled for some free 3D software. And Blender was the one with most reviews, what would I’ve done, downloaded it and enrolled for a course in Udemy. Eventhough there are so many free tutorials for beginners out there but this course does it in a special way, all the teachers; Michael Bridges, Grant Abbitt, Rick Davidson and the question bank Marc Carlyon, everyone makes sure to make the topic so easy, and it is an amazing course. :star_struck:
I see that you are completely new to art as well, I’m lucky in that case, I used to paint before Blender so, know some color related things, but yes new to 3D world.
Hope to see more from you in the upcoming challenges and other posts. :+1:

4 Likes

Depending on how you look at it, I’ve been at this for just over a year, or about a decade.
Time spent on Blender and time passed is not the same thing. Dabbled in Blender many years ago, but never made anything substantial with it. Joined this site in Sept 2017 for the 2.7 Complete Blender course and rushed through 80% of it in about a month period without posting anything then had to abandon the course because other life pressures kept me from it. Around August 2019 was when I altered my life arrangements to make time for Blender type stuff. I restarted the course as 2.8 content was coming out and I started posting at the same time.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms