2021 Collab: Week 07 “Underground” - CLOSED

There are just couple of hours till the deadline. So just in case to avoid Murphy’s Law (e.g., problem with internet connection just before midnight) I’m submitting my render.

It’s called “The Last Stand”. Gurukk is saving mankind from hordes of undead!

Heavily inspired by Lord of the Rings (Mines of Moria) and Dragon Age (Deep Roads). Will keep tweaking it more, probably till the last minute :sweat_smile:.

14 Likes

:roll_eyes: How long did it took you guys to be at this stage, making some super scenes. I’m wowed.

1 Like

I cannot speak for the others… but I’m beginner (6m maybe of Blender practice + longer in unreal and unity, maybe 2.5 years in total). Obviously I used some assets (like the army of skeletons) and my previous models (e.g., Ogre). I actually never did such a complicated scene as the above… @FedPete and @NP5 are to blame for teasing me :joy: :rofl:

5 Likes

wow just 2.5 years… now I’m too motivated. :call_me_hand:
But seriously love this entry.

4 Likes

That is amazing!! great work I love the atmosphere and theme

2 Likes

Time is irrelevant. Experience is.
My advice - don’t be afraid to post your work. Everyone will do their best to advise you. Ones with more experience will see their own mistakes in your work and will guide you to be better.
My biggest hinderance was that none of my work I could share as it was all NDA projects.
I, personally, have over 5 years with Blender, +years in Solidworks, +years in 3Ds Max +years in AutoCAD. None of these years matters. Experience comes from continued work in a field.
I might not be able to share all my works, but will give advice where I can.

6 Likes

Updated the lighting and the volumetrics, there are some weird artifacts but I think it looks better than the original overall.

12 Likes

It is better. Few cents.
Grill is for lights? put two horizontal cilinders in each emmisive shader - obvious relation to real world flourescent lights.
Entrance would have some external lights to guide the way to the vault. Raise luminance by putting spot light with wide blend(soft shadows) from top towards the entrace (street light). It will light up the scene and focus on elements that matter. You have to highlihgt the area/message you want to express.
Maybe put another partial light as if behind the frame to show that there is a path leading to the walt.

4 Likes

A personal question;
How did you end up here?

Most are students. Me since 2016 when I did the old Blender 2.79 course and stuck around. I can imagine you don’t need these Blender cources anymore.

3 Likes

I am self taught - youtube, udemy, this site and many other sources. In a past I’ve been given task to accomplish and no one cared where I get skills to improve - I had to learn as I go.
There are some skills (gaps) that even experienced person can learn in a new course and find a better ways to accomplish certain task or even find new ideas for the project.
I joined as I needed a challange to improve myself (other than constant 3D project visualizations from drawings) and a chance to learn something new. I constantly discover a new ways to improve in my workflow or to try a new artistic approach from pelople in this community.
If I can help - I will. I want new ones and members people to see that there is one more way to see the task and accomplish it. Some will take challage in most time efficient way, some in most artistic and some in most real to life image. Latter is my goal… and all are relavant and important to everyone browsing this community.
Some images shared might look avarage, but it might be a lightbulb moment even to the most experienced ones.

5 Likes

You just won my vote, I laugh way too hard :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, I concur.
Thank you, for your support and attention!

2 Likes

I’m glad you joined and are putting time and effort to giving feedback! I already learnt a lot thanks to your input!

3 Likes

Teasing is an invitation to do things better. Look where you began and what you just accomplished. If I’ve seen this few years back I would be convinced that the new Diablo spoiler just leaked.
Be proud of what you did and we all look forward to see what amazing things you will show us next.

3 Likes

Francly, just a few tweaks and I can hardly reconglise the place. So much more realistic. Be proud as you did a great progress in such a short amount of time.

Again, just my 2 cents.
Ceiling - change diffuse to gray. This will create separation from groung floor texture. Yes - that simple. No satturation and you have a concrete slabs rather than wood vinil. Make new instance and chnage tiling - it will break illusion even more.
I would still prefer to see interior lights yellow-ish and exterior blue-ish. Internal lights - imagine candescent, exterior - blue sky.
Drop light down to get back reflections from the doors and windows.
I like the booths/benches, but they break the illussion. If there is a cavity behind the bench, what is in there? What would you put there in the real live situation? I know you use a simple way to make more space, but every space element has to have purpose.
To improve - make top light narrow, just behind Baker street name-tag, and make straight or curved wall right behind the backrest on the bench. This will show there is a dedicated area to rest with illumination, but you can’t put anything beyond that.

4 Likes

Of course! I was actually teasing them to teas me more :grin:. I most probably wouldn’t attempt this kind of project without encouragement from @FedPete and @NP5. And I’m grateful for it! And all the awesome feedback I get thanks to being part of the :leaf: community!

3 Likes

Ok, final submission (:crossed_fingers:). I’ve tweaked some small things, re-baked lighting in higher quality, cranked up quality, tweaked post processing. Here is the result:

And higher quality video (4k version is still being processed by YT):

And for those of you that might be interested, but didn’t noticed it earlier - here is the “development diary” (warning: includes teasing! :joy:): Collab 2021W07 - The Last Stand

12 Likes

Let this be an inspiration to others… It’s important to start, just start… learn, porogress and improve. There are hidden treasures in this forum - dig in and reap the rewards.
If you have a question - ask. As there cannot be better reward as seeing a great things accomplished.

2 Likes

You did a great job.
My only 2c is - add roughtness mask to your main character (Green guy). He looks like he just came out of shower. I know facing overwealming enemies make you sweat, but someone could benefit from some roughthness mask. Too glossy, too reflective
Great video, but there are always small tweaks as you already know.

2 Likes

Thank you! :heart:

He has it… and it looks OK in Blender. … eee, it doesn’t (just watched the video I made in Blender and I now see he is too shiny there as well). I have to re-paint the ogre (Gurukk :grin:) as I did it in Blender following the course. And not only that was my first paint (and first bake), but also I’ve learnt substance in the meantime…

Once again - thanks for noticing it!

Edit: for now let’s say it’s hot in hell and he is all sweaty from the axe swinging :sweat_smile:

You are too kind :smiley:. This video has big things to add and fix there :smiley:. But I’m quite proud that I manage to make it in such a short span of time… Seems that working under time pressure is my thing (ofc, I had to cut so many corners to get here, that’s not even funny :sweat_smile:).

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms