1 Month of Low Poly Practice Challenge - Finished!

Day 16: Modular graveyard fence and more graves.
Time: 3h

It takes a long time to get to the full scene. Lots of pieces created so far and probably will take around 2-3 more days to finish it… All pieces so far:

Still needing:

• entrance / gates to the cementary
  • some creepy foliage
  • a statue
  • a chapel/crypt

Possibly first 2 points tomorrow. Statue will most probably take a day on it’s own. And similar time I expect to spent on a crypt. Building a final scene out of it will take some time as well.

Working towards “bigger goal” in daily cadence is fun, but it is also quite challenging to keep on track without producing nice renders…

4 Likes

Really like the modular graveyard stuff.

Don’t think you need to worry too much about the rendering if you’re going for the Imphenzia “look”.

Pretty sure you know this already, but just in case you are doing screen-grabs of your Viewport, it helps to know that you can use the Workbench render engine (Which IS the Viewport shading renderer):
You’ll have to enable all the cavity and outline settings in that tab again to get a similar look to the viewport but works great for things like making test animations for camera-sweeps or scenes where the viewport may struggle to keep up.

1 Like

Thanks!

I actually didn’t know that about workbench! I’m truly a Blender noob - I have much more too learn and I am grateful for any tips (I have maybe 3 months of total experience spread across a year). Thanks for the info! Might come in handy, esp. as you said for animations.

I know that I don’t need to worry about rendering. That was the initial idea of this challenge - to focus only on improving low poly modeling. But I like to make nice pictures :smiley: And Cycles + proper lighting and camera setup look way better than viewport/workbench stuff to my eyes. And somehow it’s hard to resist the urge and keep focusing on modeling only :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Day 17: Gate and coffins
Time: 1.5h

Not much progress today due to not enough time :(. And I failed miserably at first attempt at coffin, so needed to redo it from scratch…

5 Likes

Day 18: Grass and Trees.
Time: 3.5h

Due to scale, zoom on grass:

That was quite fun to make :slight_smile:

Special thanks to @Musashi for suggesting cracks in the trees :smiley:

I probably make much more stuff than I’ll use in the final scene :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Day 19: Statues
Time: ~2h

Not perfect, as I had less time today (loads of overtime recently at work :frowning_face:). They were fun to make… And in some regards easier than I’ve thought they would be, in some cases harder (e.g., I’m not satisfied with hands).

And yeah, I definitely make more stuff than I need for the final scene. I just planned to have one statue there :smiley:

10 Likes

Day 20: Starting to build a chapel (general blockout)
Time: ~1h

Again not much progress… Overtime again + started to migrate data to new PC… Hopefully tomorrow will catch up.

5 Likes

Day 21: Restarted building the chapel.
Time: 2.5h

I’ve messed up something yesterday and didn’t notice that. The last chapel had millions of verts. I might heave copied something or applied bevel with too much cuts while creating bricks… and then array’ed them multiple times in the wall…

It’s still not done yet. Doors, damage, stairs, details will take a bit of time to make. :crossed_fingers: for productive day tomorrow.

5 Likes

Day 22: Finished the chapel! (finally! :smiley: )
Time: ~4h

It took so long, so I decided to setup temporary camera and render it:

And viewport view:

Almost ready to proceed to assemble the final scene. Just need some small props to populate the world. Lot of objects to play around already done:

10 Likes

Day 23: Lighting props.
Time: 4.5h (including searching for references and tutorials on how to make candle light… which in the end I didn’t need as I just used modelling and emission).

Took a couple of shots, as lighting props are best shown rendered. Candles:

All of them:

And how they look in viewport:

With a close up:

I forgot about lighting! But now I think I have everything to make a final scene. Maybe I’ll need to add some additional props along the way or variants of existing props, but I’m getting close to finishing it :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Great work all building up very well. How did this self challenge morph into a graveyard project scene? lol

It started with a Tesla truck.

2 Likes

Haha, that’s because of the skeleton… he needed a home! Plus my lack of planning when scooping this scene :sweat_smile:

1 Like

These candles look awesome! Is the material they have semi-transparent, or does it simply look like that due to the surrounding lights?

1 Like

Thank you! I added subsurface scattering to the material to achieve this effect.

1 Like

Day 24: Missing stuff.
Time: ~4h (but maybe 1h on modelling, ~3h on assembling the scene)

and a sneak peek on how the final graveyard is coming along:

Lot of work to “assemble” the final scene…

I noticed too much repetition in certain aspect (like graves) when place near each other so I also made a few variants…

5 Likes

Good lay out, of a graveyard. It may look better from a human eye height?

1 Like

Definitely! There is so much detail that it would go to waste only showed from bird’s eye view. I will do multiple shots :slight_smile:

And after putting so much effort to individual elements there I think I even my try to record some simple video out of it…

I was thinking you are making assets to develop a game related to dead men. :joy:

1 Like

:joy:

But to be honest - after making all those models (there are 282 right now, not including some helper things like curbs, grass patches)… I was thinking about mabye making a small game with them (action rpg?) or maybe even polish them and release them on some asset stores…

Good idea… :+1: :+1:

Privacy & Terms