WIP - Hair salon

I immediately thought of Agent 327 …

agent 327 - 1

But I work on a COVID-19 (9 months of no hairdressing) …

40min work.

7 Likes

Perhaps in these times it should be a boarded up empty shop! :older_man:t2:

2 Likes

You would think so, but all the hair salons around here are open, though they do limit the amount of customers in the shop at one time, and they have dividers between the customer chairs.

In fact, I’ve got an appointment with my hairdresser next week, though I don’t go to see her that often, maybe 4 times a year. She’s so thoughtful, she has disposable face masks for her customers to wear so they don’t get their own messed up, especially when she’s doing hair color.

1 Like

A rough model of the chair. Most details not visible. So I don’t model them

1 Like

Block model puppet

2 Likes

Didn’t think of that …

The obvious Hair salon equipment is a mirror. It reflects the salon, so I need to make a salon too. Not just a wall in my first concept thinking. Also, the person with a bad hair day looks into the mirror. So the chain saw needs to be behind him.
While my first 2d concept drawing was a 30-sec job. I didn’t do a good job, because of the difficulties I encounter.

2 Likes

So a quick model of the scene I’m aiming for.
Now I need to model the arms too.
I’m going for Eevee.

2 Likes

Eevee 128 Samples, 22sec. to render 100K vertices.

1 Like

Needed hands for holding the chainsaw …

2 Likes

Coming on well. I have been trying to think of a different cutting device, but none have the impact of the chainsaw to make the message. Just the fact it would not cut hair but tangle it in the chain and rip it all out by the roots I will have to ignore! :rofl:

2 Likes

This is hard to do, bending fingers around an object. I’m not sure if it’s the low poly or armature.
And then the timeslot of 7 days. Where to spend time on. More poly fingers, improving the armature. Correcting the automated weight painting. Spending more time means also reusable for future projects.
But it’s eating time.

1 Like

Always a problem time. I have spent the last few weeks progressing something I started for a colab and ran out of time, :rofl: probably getting close to 100 hours if I were counting so far. One little item, so many verts to place one at a time. So much more to do.

1 Like

All elements in place (except for hair). Which frightens me a bit. Because I don’t understand hair. It slows down the renders and therefore to do a try and fail process.

More facial details …

2 Likes

@FedPete - you do know – you’re supposed to let me win this week or I’m doing a bob.

I joke of course (or do I) !!

Link to Agent 327: Operation Barbershop - Youtube - well worth a look if you haven’t already seen it - it’s excellent, and made with Blender.

1 Like

Yes, I think I saw that once before, as it looks familiar. A very well done Blender animation for sure.

1 Like

My first hair encounter.

Working with hair is a difficult process. Too many options, too many influences.
Tweaking options, but forgot which does what. Then changing the wrong options, trying to undo.
Render in Eevee now takes 90 seconds, which is not what I call realtime.

I encounter working process mistakes. Beard is not close to the mouth lips.

2 Likes

Yes hair is a lot of fiddling about to get right and the controls are hard to find and often not sensibly named, grouped etc. well to me.

However with the cartoon style you can get away with ‘non realistic’ effects.
You can lower the hair numbers while working it out so it renders faster. OK it looks thin of hairs, but you can up the number once it is more like what you want.

1 Like

Running into some Eevee render problems!
The mirror is reflecting the wall behind the customer.
I’ve put some cupboards there.
But they aren’t rendered fully with a grey haze on top.
I know Eevee throws away meshes that aren’t seen by the camera (like the ceiling).
But this one is unexpected. And again my LOVE/HATE Eevee pops up again.

No clue what to do. I know it’s a learning curve, but it holding back the fun part.

Also, the mirror (reflection) part is never sharp. As if Eevee uses a different internal camera to take a snapshot. And uses that bitmap (image) to paint in the mirror as a reflection.

2 Likes

Eevee is for games and animation (NOT stills)

Said a sage here recently :grin:

You could cheat! Render the reflection shot in Cycles, by a camera looking from the mirror pov, use the render as an image plane in a final render in Eevee.

Chainsaw currently has no hair long enough to be ‘engaging’ with.
Perhaps extend a section that is about to be ripped through? Possibly ‘hairs’ cut off flying away this side of the saw?

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms