Why we dont use PolygonCollider2D instead of CapsulCollider2D?

Hello,
I cant undestand why we use collider only for snowboard? If I use PolygonCollider2D for my character, it works too. Is there any special thing for using capsul collider for only snowboard ?

Hi zezuu,

That’s more or less a matter of personal preference. The capsule collider comes with rounded ‘corners’, which will (hopefully) prevent the snowboard from getting stuck on the snow collider.

When working on our game, we always have to bear in mind that the sprites are just decoration. The actual physical things happen between colliders. Furthermore, the physics simulation is highly optimised for speed, not precision. For this reason, we try to keep our collider shapes as simple as possible.

However, in the end, we have to test our solutions because we cannot be sure that everything will work as we think it works just because it works in theory.

Long story short, if you think that a PolygonCollider2D makes more sense, feel free to test it in your game. As long as you have a good reason for doing something in a different way, it’s fine. In many cases, there are different ways to make something work in Unity.

Is this what you wanted to know?

See also:

Yes, this answer is enough for me, thank you so much :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms