Why is it called observer pattern?

This pattern’s name always confuses me, it sounds more like a subscription than an observer, I know there’s a sub-pub pattern, but that sounds more like a shady deal, you even have a broker in that pattern, but I suppose calling something “The Shady Deal Pattern” might not sound as professional, maybe I should work on my naming conventions instead of complaining about this :sweat_smile:

`The observer pattern is a software design pattern in which an object, named the subject, maintains a list of its dependents, called observers, and notifies them automatically of any state changes, usually by calling one of their methods.’
Source: Observer pattern

To be honest the question wasn’t serious, it was more of a really bad joke, sorry.

All good. Sometimes it’s tough to pick up tone in writing.

1 Like

It’s all good if you use a smiley, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sometimes, the Observer pattern is referred to as the Publisher pattern (though technically, the Publisher pattern is a form of Observer pattern). Since the Gang Of Four (the writers of the famous Design Patterns book from which all of us refer) chose to call it the Observer Pattern, the name has stuck.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms