Why are my objects white and yours brown?

It’s been bugging me since the first lecture, but rendering is different for meshes without a material set. In all the lectures they are nice brownish color with edges being quite district, while for me they are all bright white (Unity 2020.3.32f1 on Windows). Here is an example of a cube mesh at default position:

Why is that?

Hi David,

Rick’s mesh is supposed to be white like yours because white is the default colour of materials. I assume that the lighting (Window > Rendering > Lighting Settings) in his scene has not been generated yet. In your case, it has been generated, which is fine.

See also:

Thank you! Do you know why all the tutorial videos don’t have generated lighting, and what makes it that my scenes do? I never did anything special or change any default Unity settings IIUC.

It might be due to the version of Unity. Do you use exactly the same version as Rick? Or it could be that Rick disabled it in his case and forget to reenable it at the bottom of Window > Rendering > Lighting Settings. You did not do anything wrong.

If you like the grey colour in the video, you could simply create a material in your Assets folder, select your desired colour and assign the material to your mesh.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms