What the oldest computer game you've played?

Steam is the new norm these days. PC gaming pretty much means you have Steam installed.

Yes, I know a number of folks who have it installed. From what I can tell, and of course I could be wrong, Steam pretty much has a monopoly on PC gaming. I just don’t play those types of games anymore, so never got involved.

The first game I remember playing as a kid is the 1987 version of Mixed Up Mother Goose on a black-and-green monitor.
I’m aware this probably qualifies me as ‘old’ :stuck_out_tongue: I also got an NES in 1990 and played a lot of Super Mario Bros.

ha my monitors where white with pencil-gray characters, and you used this stylus thingy you had to sharpen all the time :slight_smile: ok, my grandfather once showed me his “monitor”–black slate with wood surround and a white chalky stylus (that also had to be sharpened).

A monitor does not a computer make! What games did you play?

It does not, but if you’re playing at high resolutions it can make a huge difference.

Trips down memory lane, old enough to do that now! - some great games mentioned got me thinking not the oldest ones I played but most memorable on my old C64 and 34cm portable colour tele :slight_smile

Paradroid

Heroes of Karn (time to make a cuppa as the screen loaded)

Elite
(wire framed heaven)

And the best…Lords of Midnight

Trapped in an age of low res.

the oldest computer game i ever played…mmmmmmm this is tough…but i think i remember it…it was Arcade Volleyball on a Macintosh (and on IBM 286) and then Goblins…i was very very young…it was 1987 or 1988 and i was 4 y.o.!

1 Like

Oooooh, that reminded me that TREK was the first computer game that I played. And yes, that was way back in the 70s.

the oldest game I played would have to be the original fallout and elder scrolls game. however the first game I played was adventure island 2 on NES

I had an old atari computer that hooked up to my television with a cassette tape drive ( the thing was AWFUL! )… but I had one cassette that I LOVED.

It was a medieval village simulation where you had to feed the people and make other choices.

The game would only load about 50% of the time and it took SERIOUSLY at least 10-15 minutes to load… ah the good old days.

1 Like

Gunship!! I forgot about that beast of a game. The version I had came with this outline that you could put on as an overlay for the keyboard, so I knew exactly what each key on the keyboard did without flipping through a book. It’s the only computer game that I have ever personally see come with something like that, which I imagine is due to all of the 100s of different keyboard form factors out there now. I crashed so many times, but when I finally got the hang of it, oh yeah!

2 Likes

Lode Runner had the biggest influence on me as to what a great, simple game could be. It was simple to learn as a player, but difficult to master. And so many unique levels. It’s been redone a couple of times over the generations of computers. The one I found as a kid was for the Commodore 64 back in the mid 80s.

The oldest game I remember playing was Pole Position on the Atari 2600. I recall being totally mesmerized by it :grin: Oh the sheer realism! Haha

1 Like

The oldest computer game I remember playing when I was younger was playing Baldur’s gate and i remember play red alert 2 yuri’s revenge. A lot of weekends spent playing that with my friend as a kid. A lot of fun!

2 Likes

Oldest game I can remember the name of was Desert Strike for the Mega Drive. I remember my dad had a book full of notes on the levels.

Runescape.
I played it with some of my friends in elementary. None of use knew how to do anything.
Everything was so much simpler back then…

1 Like

Original elite on the BBC model B at college :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ADVENT. Although I guess now it’s called “Collosal Cave Adventure”

YOU ARE IN A MAZE OF TWISTY LITTLE PASSAGES, ALL ALIKE.

Hero Quest for DOS

1 Like

Privacy & Terms