What boosts Compiling Time ? SSD, 32gb Ram or both?

I’m Doing a few upgrades to my PC.
I have RTX 2060, i7 9700K,16GB RAM 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD For OS.
the engine in SSD, but the project files in HDD.
I very annoyed by the slow Compile time, so I need to do some upgrades.

First Q: Is it better to have Samsung 980 pro 1TB M.2 rather than 32GB RAM to improve compiling time?

Sec Q: What are the benefits of Higher RAM Like 32GB or 64GB For UE5? All I know is it will benefit me for using multiple heavy software at once

finally: is my pc good for UE5 After Upgrades
thanks in advance

Move the project to the SSD. 16GB ram is plenty with an i7 and the SSD will boost performance far more than more ram.

As for your PC, I am able to run UE5 with 1060ti, and i7 so I would say with an RTX you’ll be fine. You might see lower framerates with Lumen enabled (I saw ~30fps at 4K resolutions) but you’ll be good aside from that.

1 Like

Thank You!
Sec Q: What are the benefits of Higher RAM Like 32GB or 64GB For UE5? All I know is it will benefit me for using multiple heavy software at once
Can You answer this question?
Thank You again!

I have a laptop and I use an Integrated graphics card, Radeon Vega 8, Ryzen 5 3500u, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD. And that takes me around 5 mins to compile bigger files. Any tips for me?? If yes, then pls tell me because I’m really fed up of the slow compile time.

I’m afraid there’s not much you can do with a laptop as you can’t upgrade the CPU.

The i710700K (which I have) has a boost speed of ~4.66Ghz (all 8 cores/16 threads) across all cores or 1 at 5.1Ghz and core at ~3.8Ghz, which is loads faster than the Ryzen base of 2.1Ghz and boost is 3.7Ghz (CPU is 4 core/8Threads and boost may just apply to one of those) , and core counts are also double. Laptops don’t really cut it unless you get a Desktop Replacement laptop which are huge and no battery life.

SSD internally is as fast as it is going to go. I run UE on a PCIE4 m.2 module with speeds up to 6TB/s read which in reality is more like 2TB/s on a desktop PC - no laptop will ever come close to that.

Guys at work use top-end cad laptops and their performance is about 1/2 my work desktop which has a Quadro RTX in it even though the CPUs are the basically the same, because laptops usually have reduced power to the CPU and less cores.

The recommendation would be get a desktop but that’s expensive.

Hello @beegeedee,

I see and understand. I’m kind of jealous (it’s hard to accept though) your work desktop is better than my best machine. Before this I had a ten year old PC. It had 2 GB RAM, Intel core 2 duo, 128 GB SSD, and no GPU. GPUs in India are really overpriced because of miners, its thrice the original rate. I don’t have a lot of money (I’m just a 14 year teen), this is the best thing I could’ve got. Desktops are possible, but the chance of me getting a desktop is 1\10000. And if I ask for a good GPU, then it is impossible for sure. I sold a lot of stuff to get this, my old desktop, my tablet, and my steam and epic games account too. If you’ve any good suggestions for a nice PC, then tell me I’ll note it down and get it an later. and if you can solve this, than pls help me out.

I feel for you but it’s not just india that GPUs are massively overpriced. I saw an RTX 3060 selling for over 1000 GBP on amazon which is around 3x the recommended retail price - I am trying to source one for an upgrade to support raytracing and can’t get one anywhere.

My work PC is good because the company expect it to keep working for the next 7 years - it cost about 5x my home PC because Business PCs (Xeon and Quadro vs i7 and Geforce) are more expensive yet my home PC is just as good.

1000 GBP!!! That’s a lot for a GPU, especially for a RTX 3090. I don’t I have 2 PCs though, I use only one for all my school work, unreal, and blender. My dad’s got a work PC. It has i5 3rd Gen, 500TB HDD, 256GB SDD, but no GPU as he doesn’t require one. Any way, I’m glad you’ve got a beast(compared to mine).

Here’s a link to my laptop-

I bought a laptop because because of these reasons-

1. The best specs in my budget (it was 241.80 gbp, and 25k Indian rupees)
  2. Space issues
  3. portability
  4. could run unreal and blender (not the best to do so, but gets almost all the work done)

These are all the reasons for a laptop.

1 Like

I’m using 32Gb and without issues and I am running studio, unreal, sql server and occasionally will run games when on a break without closing anything.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms