What are your favourite games right now, and what makes them your favourite?

I’m playing DragonSoul, Nonstop Knight and Entropia Universe mainly right now. The first two are Andrroid games that I emulate in the Nox App Player! I love it, android games on my ultrawide monitor with keyboard and mouse. I was and still am at console games, those dang controllers give me fits. :wink:

Please excuse the poor spelling and grammar, I’m lazy…

Cheers;
Del

Despite it being a rather old game. My favorite game would have to be Warcraft 3. It is great rts that I feel is very engaging. My second favorite would be starcraft 2, I just really like that style of game!

Right now… hmm.

Probably Atelier Sophie. Love this series. Mainly for the Alchemy system and the fact that the plot isn’t some epic “Save the world, only you can do it” plot.

Great JRPG <3

1 Like

I like to play Dota 2 as no two games are the same, you can always be counter picked by other heroes or by item builds. It’s enjoyable for the most part.

Also like to play csgo as it’s a team game and it’s different from other fps games I’ve played before.

Overwatch is the newest game I’m enjoying, I like the art style and humour of character lines and it’s fun to just play.

Right now I am trying to finish Dark Souls 3 on PS4. I love hard games. Games I find myself going back to though are often from the indie developers, like Shovel Knight, and Super meat boy; love those games. My favorite game of all time though is probably Zelda: Windwaker. Love the art style.

I love how shovel knight brings all that retro love for megaman, zelda, etc back and makes one great platformer.

I’m really excited to get my hands on No Mans Sky in august. I’ve been following the developer, Sean Murray on that game and listening to him talk about how he and his team made that game. It’s part of the reason that I wanted to learn this stuff.

I got Stardew Valley yesterday and already sunk 7 hours of my time in it xD

3 Likes

Kerbal space program although i have a friend whos setting up a robot fighting league in that and so i have been commisioned to build an arena for it.
Dirty Bomb and closed alpha testing LawBreakers (NDA lifted)

I like a lot of different kinds of games.
One franchise I’ve always loved is the Hitman series. I first played them just prior to Hitman: Blood Money being released, which to this day is probably my favourite.
I like the strategy, the hiding in plain sight, the lying in wait for the right moment, the fact that you could play the game differently every time.
I haven’t played the new one yet and it may be a long while before I do, if ever. I don’t like the idea of paying over $80 for a something that isn’t a complete game yet! I’m happy to pay cash for a good product, but too many AAA titles have been shipped well before their time and a lot of the time they never get “finished”.
Once it drops below $50 I’ll think about it, only if they have at least 10 episodes worth playing.

Witcher 3, truly an amazing game, looking forward to No man’s sky, but ultimately I wish to play my own games, just need to create one.

Recently got into a few games like Civilisation 5, Age of Wonder III, Warlock 2 as I can play them and talk to the wife, watch TV etc.

A few more laps on Project Cars…

I still pick up Nuclear Throne. It is what actually make me think I could write games myself (with a LOT of study and commitment).

The game I have played the most over the last 2 weeks is . . . .drum roll . . .

Araknoid - Doh It Again on my SNES emulator. Very enjoyable research for my little Block Breaker project!

There may have been the odd 20 mins on Borderlands 2 when I needed to de-stress. I adore the look of that game :slight_smile:

I am still wanting to play through Ico and Shaddow of Collossus again on the PS3 but they will have to wait.

I saw a couple of wish listed games on Steam on offer the other day so I picked up a copy of Planetbase. I had an initial issue with it crashing after about 27 minutes, but a post on their forum and a startup command line entry later and it was all resolved. Loving the idea of the game… right up until a meteor hit one of my pressurised walkways anyway… lol… thankfully a constructor bot got on the case and fixed it :slight_smile:

Graphics are rather lovely, and I am only running it in medium (think my laptop my blow up if I tried any higher).

Regarding Marc’s (@malbrecht) topic, What makes a (computer!) game “remarkable/memorizable”?, at the moment I think I would add this one to the remarkable category. I was quite “wowed” by it :slight_smile:

I have seen a lot of followers for it. I’ll check it out.

1 Like

I’ve only had 3 hours on it so far. You have to do the tutorial but it is very beneficial. I have really enjoyed it so far… think Steam are currently offering 30% off…

My favourite games now are my all time favourite games, because there are no games I’m playing now that can beat them.

1. Command and Conquer/Red Alert
  2. Freespace 1&2
  3. Blood
  4. Mechcommander
  5. Super Metroid
  6. Another World
  7. Shining Force 2
  8. Xcom Terror From The Deep
  9. Doom 1&2
  10. X2 - The Threat
    :slight_smile:

They are all my favourite for a few simple reasons.

1. They are easy to pick up and play (except maybe for X2, takes a few hours to get into)
  2. Easy to master
  3. Great gameplay, all the controls are great and easy to use.
  4. Not once do they get boring, they are 100% fun all the time. Even when I die, I just want to keep playing.
  5. Great music. It’s very hard to have a great game without great music. For example, It’s the SNES version of Another World which is my favourite, it’s got the best music, other versions don’t have music and they just completely lose the cinematic experience.

All of the above games and more I still play to this day, over and over and over again. I only wish I could make games as great as them.

Though this list is full of similar games, my favourite games are probably:

1: Undertale
2: Wonderful 101
3: Dwarf Fortress
4: Rimworld
5: Terraria

Hon. Mentions:
Cataclysm DDA (and to a lesser degree, Project Zomboid)
Mount and Blade: Warband
IVAN and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (Free roguelikes, IVAN being humourous and DC:SS being deep and well made)
Does Not Commute (Android/iOS game with a brilliant core mechanic)
Rareware’s entire game catalog before 2002 (And definitely not after)

I mean there are a bunch more, but these are the ones that either made an impact on me or I go back to frequently. Out of the list though, I really recommend everyone check out Rimworld!

At the start of this thread i was playing Kerbal Space Program but now i got addicted to 7 days to die lol.
I hated minecraft but give the graphics a lick of paint and a few extra adult only features and boom i’ll play it. Damn my graphic addiction!

Minecraft can get surprisingly addictive @Marc_Carlyon, I’ve played it with my son and what seems like minutes turns out to be hours! “I’ll just finish the roof”… “I’ll just do these stairs to the mine”… “I’ll just collect some resources for next time…”

Regarding more adult content… you can play voyeur and watch the animals, well, you know, make little animals :slight_smile:

My son loves playing it in creative mode, but I’m more about having the threat of the mods… I think what it lacks really are some form of missions… that could make it interesting…

Planetbase is pretty cool - on Steam etc…

I dont know if you have played 7 days to die but its basically the same sort of genre.
The only difference is that every 7 days at 10pm you will get a zombie hoard attack with zombie dogs in later hoards.
It kind of reminds me of a fallout 4 interface for leveling mixed with minecraft crafting but with a twist of tower defence as well thrown in.

I did play minecraft and i get the appeal of the genre, I just think the increasing zombie hoards keeps the challenge going.
I also noticed that during the hoards opening the console shows information about what is spawning and if its got a target etc.

I will have to give planetbase a look though :slight_smile:

League of Legends. Have been playing it for years until recently. I was (am?) somewhat addicted to that game, up to the point that I hardly did spend time learning new stuff for GameDev and programming in general. Uninstalled it about a month or two ago and I feel somewhat free now.
I had a similar or even more intense experience with World of Warcraft many years ago, until I installed a small plugin. It told me that in exactly 3 years I had been online 365 days on all characters together…

Today I enjoy a little puzzle like game, made with Unity: MiniMetro

I’ve been playing Witcher 3 for a few months now, but I did interrupt it to play Uncharted 4 as soon as it arrived on release day. I love the Uncharted series. I do have to say that Last of Us is my most favorite game of all time and I keep hoping, with every game I buy, to find something that engaged me as much as that one did.

I’m not what I would call “hard core” but do play several times a week for a couple hours at a time. I like games that are complex, story driven and develop characters. I also like games that I can play when I want and leave for a few days without having to worry about meeting up with others for a campaign that I have to stick with until it’s done. That’s why I stick with single player. Of course the only MP I’ve ever tried was Elder Scrolls Online and I was horribly disappointed. Inventory and crafting systems drove me nuts and I couldn’t stand all the other players running around seemingly getting in the way, etc.

I started out gaming on the PC with, beleive it or not, the all text games but didn’t care for them much because it ws hard for me to visualize. So I didn’t really start until Kings Quest etc. Life got inthe way and I din’t play again until years later when I got a Nitindo and a Zelda game. Then a PS3 and Elder Scrolls Oblivion. From there I was really hooked. I’ve found that unfortunately many games catch my interest, I get bored with some of them really fast if there’s not an interesting story or if it’s too shooter/combat intense and I, with not that good of reflexes at my age, have too much trouble beating.

Some of my favorites over the years have been Oblivion and Skyrim, all the Uncharted games, Fallout 3, the newest versions of Laura Corft, Beyond 2 Souls and of course Withcer 3 and Last of Us. Ones I’ve lost interest in for various reasons were Red Dead Redemption, Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4, and the Assasins creed games. All of those had great promise and I may yet go back and try them again. But there’s many I haven’t tried yet but are really anticipating so going back will depend on if I find myself witout a game I’m really enjoying.

Privacy & Terms