Wasp on leaf

Fixed up the wings from the collab version.
I suppose the legs are just too thin to make shadows, a bit irritating.

Solid View.
Minor tinkering with the leaf plane too. Made the veins have shape. Not a really serious leaf, quick expedient wasp display stand.

Edit View

Ok, overdone the verts in the legs, lol, always fall for the default cylinder parameters, thinking ahead after I have finished is a failing.

15 Likes

Impressive!

3 Likes

Depends on zooming in or not.
In the case of bees in size, as you’ve shown, then simple cylinders suffice.
Zoomed in, maybe more verts are needed. So how are you gona use the bee?

1 Like

No particular use lined up for the wasp, just an addition to my fly! Lots of scenes can have the odd insect thrown in casually for added detail. :grin:

Yes, close up you do not ‘feel’ the detail is high, then you realise the wasp is a foot across on the screen. lol.
I did refrain from giving it any body texture, time it is in anything at life size it just will never be needed or noticeable. If I ever need a 2 metre tall wasp monster I will just have to add it then!

damm that looks pretty rad

1 Like

Just - wow!, - so intricate and full of lifelike drawing, well done xxx jess

1 Like

Perfect modling! Very good work.

1 Like

Huh, this reminds me of a photo I took some three or four years ago.
Really nice details on the wasp, background and leaves need some work. Would add subsurface to everything lol.

Summary

2 Likes

Nice photo, I tend to grab photos of interesting insects when I see them too.

This wasp was for a collab, So there was a deadline and the leaves were a quick something to sit it on.

Yes now I would be more careful of the vert counts and have the option or not to use a subdiv. Part of the problem is not having a ‘real’ purpose for it. If it was just for popping into any scene from the start then it could be a lot lower poly, but if for some close up insect world it needs more hairs!

2 Likes

I don’t think polycount is an issue at all for this scene since the wasp is the main subject and the centerpiece. If anything I would slap another subdiv mod on its body. It’d be a different story if you wanted to have a thousand of them as particles or something.
Also, if it was for a collab then it had a real purpose, the purpose was to show it off!! In which case going for an even closer closeup (? dunno if that’s the correct way to say this :sweat_smile:) would have been even better.

2 Likes

My other detailed insect.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms