VS Code Squiggles error

Hello everyone,

I hope you guys are working good on Unreal Engine

Seems to be that this error is pretty apparent, I’ve seen a lot of topics regarding this intellisense bug.

I tried the following fixes from other Topics:

1. I tried it using UE: 4.26.1

2. Installed the VSIX from this GitHub url:

https://gist.github.com/boocs/f63a4878156295b6e854cac68672f305#Installation

Unfortunately, this error is still persisting for me. Did I miss any steps or solutions apart from the fixes that I’ve mentioned above?

Which version of the extension are you using? I believe they recently released a new one.

If you meant to ask the vs code extension (vsix) for fixing the intellisense, it’s 1.1.10

What you can try is a full rebuild.

1. Close UE4 Editor
  2. In the VSCode Terminal menu choose Run Task or Run Build Task.
  3. Choose BullCowGameEditor Win64 Development Rebuild
  4. Try restarting VSCode if it still doesn’t work.

It most likely won’t fix this error but I did release a new v1.2.0 of my extension.

Hello boocs,

I did followed the steps that you’ve mentioned. Unfortunately, it didn’t eradicate those intellisense for now

I will try to install the your latest extension v1.2.0 and re-install it again and give it a shot

I did install the extension v1.2.0 and did a fresh download of that BullCowGame and launched it from Unreal Engine. But the error is still persisting for me right now.

But I reckon (sorry if I’m wrong) there’s something fishy on the output logs: “No invalid paths returned”

Is this the expected behavior?

Yep, this is correct behavior.

Try this:

1. Close UE4 Editor and VSCode
  2. Go to BullCowGame-starter-kit\Intermediate directory
  3. Delete the Build folder that’s inside.
  4. Open VSCode and rebuild

I noticed you’re Building the 32-bit version. Do you mean to do this? Have you tried the 64-bit Build?

Remember when you’re building inside VSCode that you need to choose the Editor version of the Build process: “BullCowGameEditor Win64 Development Rebuild”. See how it has Editor at the end of the project name.

If you get it working don’t use Rebuild. You would usually choose the Build version. This makes building faster because it will only compile the stuff you’ve changed:
“BullCowGameEditor Win64 Development Build”.

If you run into problems it’s always good to try Rebuild though.

Oh thanks for pointing me out regarding the build. I just did a cursory glance on your solution above and I think I’ve unintentionally ignored the “win64”; apologies regarding that

Even though I followed your steps regarding the deletion of build folder and rebuilding it - this time with “BullCowGameEditor Win64 Development Build”, I’m afraid to say that I’m still facing the same intellisense issue in VS Code.

However, I tried the same thing in Visual Studio and it seems to be working fine for now

Is there something wrong with my VS-Code? Do I need to re-install it?

What version of the C/C++ extension are you using? The latest insiders version seems to be the cause of the issue on my end.

Another thing I see is when you’re Building you have the UE4 Editor open. You should close it when you do this. It creates different dll files every time you have it open and Build. I’ve noticed strange behavior when doing this. Just one more quirk when Building and something to avoid doing.

I made a guide for Intellisense errors but it seems your bug is different from what I’ve encountered. I think the only thing we haven’t done would be an Intellisense reset. You can check out Step 4 of my guide for those instructions:

Hi DanM,

Yeah I was using the latest insiders version of the extension C/C++

Hi Boocs,

Yeah I was carefully following your steps, I did close the ue4 editor and did a win64 development build. But still facing the same issue

I will check up the step 4 and I’ll let you know.

Thanks for the support!!!

PS:
In the previous screenshot I opened the UE4 editor after development build.

The particular reason for this circumstance is to open Visual Studio IDE via the UE editor after taking the screenshot

I suggest you downgrade to 1.2.2. I’ve filed an issue regarding 1.3.0-insiders

https://github.com/microsoft/vscode-cpptools/issues/7222

Sure, will do and let you know… Thanks a lot

Hello Dan,

is it working for you on version 1.2.2?

Cause I’ve now downgraded it but still intellisense is spitting out the errors :expressionless:

I’ve downgraded to 1.2.2, removed the build file inside intermediate folder and rebuilt it.

I just don’t know if I’m the only one facing this issue

Not alone here bud! I was surprised to find such recent forum posts on the issue. I’ve also tried downgrading to Intellisense to 1.2.2 and following the rebuild that boocs posted, no luck so far.

So far two people I’ve told to downgrade on Udemy said it fixed their issue.

I was not using boocs’ extension. Just normal generated by Unreal project files and the C/C++ extension.

Have you done a refresh as well after downgrading?

Hello Rush_Darling

I’m assuming you are using Windows. Did you try it in Visual Studio?

Hi Dan

I did the following:

1. I did the vs code reload window (by pressing ctrl + shift + p and typing “reload window”)
  2. Did a refresh from UE4 editor as well by going to File -> “Refresh Visual Studio Code Project”

But unfortunately no luck on solving the issue

Tried gong the full delete everything route?

So uninstalling the extension and deleting it here

%USERPROFILE%\.vscode\extensions

And also deleting the Intermediate and .code-workspace project. Then doing everything from scratch?

1 Like

Sure, I’ll give it a shot

Hi Dan,

You are a legend!!

It’s working!!! :slight_smile:

After cleaning it up, I’ve extracted the BullCowGame-starter-kit.zip file and opened up the VS code and downloaded and installed the c/c++ extension (v1.2.2) and the intellisense works like charm!

Sadly, when I try to do the PrintLine(“Hello”) and hit compile and play in UE4 editor, the board is showing nothing.

Do you know any quick fix for that?

1 Like

Privacy & Terms