VIsual Studio Code Intellisense and Parsing is Really SLOW

Hello,

I created project files for VSCode from UE4 and opened them but intellisense is not showing up. I checked the bottom bar and I see a database kind of image and when I hover on it, it shows me it is parsing the files

so waited till it parses(it took almost 15 mins) but even after the parsing is complete the intellisense is slow. When I type something it shows no suggestions and that database icon reappears and says updating intellisense.
I don’t know what to do to fix it. I do not face any kind of these problems while doing pure C++ projects in VSCode. I also do not get any errors that used to appear in projects generated in the previous UE4 Version(My UE4 Version is 4.26.2). I don’t have any better alternative ide to choose as VS19 is very huge and takes a lot of space and is not good. I want to go for Rider IDE which is really fast and good but it is still in preview and when launched it will become a paid software. SO VS CODE IS MY ONLY OPTION.

PLEASE HELP!

SOFTWARE VERSION:
UNREAL ENGINE 4.26.2
VISUAL STUDIO CODE 1.56.2

MY LAPTOP SPECS :
ASUS ROG ZEPHYRUS S17
Intel i7 10th GEN 10750H
RTX 2060
16GB RAM
ALL LATEST NVIDIA DRIVERS INSTALLED

Thank You

1 Like

If its just parsing files… this shouldn’t happen next time once you let it finish from my understanding.

However, looks like there are multiple possibilities that cause extra files or churn or something which includes extra paths or a bug in VS Code’s file parser.

There are also options for caches that might affect it.

I don’t know if it might be with something from UE4’s side.

Yes, it does not do any parsing when I reopen rather the database icon now shows “Discovering files” but the intellisense is still slow. It does not show up. If I make a small change like adding a new line, a new fire logo comes up in the bottom and when I hover it says “Updating intellisense”. This thing constantly happens while typing or creating new lines. But it takes more than 5-10 seconds to complete updating . It is really frustrating.

Is your project and engine on an SSD? That would definitely help you if they aren’t.

Yes, I do have a blazing fast Samsung SSD. All other operations are fast. Everthing is on ssd. I dont have any hdd at all

Just throwing in a random other thought. You can check the VSC settings and see if anything there will affect the speed perhaps you can eliminate something that you don’t feel the need for.

You might find something listed here: python - Visual Studio Code Intellisense is very slow - Is there anything I can do? - Stack Overflow

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms