Visual studio code does not detect unity codes

I tried everything but visual studio code still doesn’t recognize unity codes, for example I type deb and debug doesn’t come up.

Hi Myst9001,

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

Have you already seen this thread?

https://community.gamedev.tv/t/visual-studio-code-does-not-work-for-me/230484/4

See also:

Yeah but the ones here didn’t work.

Have you already tried to uninstall and reinstall VS Code?

And have you also tried to install VS as suggested in the linked thread?

I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the visual studio code many times but to no avail. Unity is on disk E and I install the visual studio code on disk E but it doesn’t work, if I install it on C it doesn’t work either. In the external tools section I found the visual studio code in the files and selected it, so unity didn’t detect the visual studio code directly. I don’t know if this has anything to do with the problem, visual studio works but it’s a bit slow.

If VS Code does not work, I would suggest to install and use Visual Studio (Community Edition). Have you already tried that?

yes visual studio works fine but it’s slower than visual studio code and I don’t want to switch to visual studio completely because of this problem :frowning:

Actually, VS should be as fast as VS Code. It just loads a bit slowly.

Are there any messages in the Terminal of VS Code?

And did you read the following article? Maybe the new extension will solve the problem for you.

now i want to do a full install of the visual studio code without uninstalling unity. ie i want to remove everything needed to detect the code and reinstall it like a normal install. how can i do that? maybe then my problem will be solved :=)

VS Code and Unity are independent from each other. For this reason, you probably won’t have to uninstall Unity unless there is a problem with the installation of Unity.

Unfortunately, I already shared with you what I know and what had helped hundreds of students. If that didn’t help you, maybe there is a problem with Unity which requires you to reinstall Unity.

However, please feel free to ask our helpful community of students for advice over on our Discord chat server. Maybe somebody knows a solution I have not suggested yet.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms