Visual Studio Code and Visual Studio 2019 Compile Time Improvements

I tested this in both Visual Studio Code and Visual Studio 2019.
I only implemented the fix in Visual Studio Code, as once the fix has been made it applied in both development environments.
The performance improvement is quite dramatic.

Visual Studio Code Before the Fix
Total Time in Parallel Executer: 01:16
Total Execution Time: 9.18s
Reflection Code Generated for BullCowGameEditor in 6.29

Visual Studio 2019 Before the Fix
Total Time in Parallel Executer: 0.76s
Total Execution Time: 8.70s
Reflection Code Generated for BullCowGameEditor in 6.12s

Visual Studio Code After the Fix
Total Time in Parallel Executer: 0.72s
Total Execution Time: 2.43

Visual Studio 2019 After the Fix
Total Time in Parallel Executer: 0.78s
Total Execution Time: 2.57s

2 Likes

Fantastic job!

Hey buddy! I think you are just now in the beginning of the bull cow section… it’ll return back to the same old state in just few more complies…I tried it and it improved dramatically for me too, but again the drop was heart breaking

I tried to find the UnrealHeaderTools.target in my VS 2019 project, but it doesn’t seem to be there.

Any hints what I need to do in VS 2019 if I don’t want to use VS Code?

I’m using the latest version of VS 2019 16.8.4 and Unreal Engine 4.22.3

I edited the UnrealHeaderTools.target file in Visual Studio Code, not Visual Studio.

The file is found in the folder:
C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.22\Engine\Binaries\Win64

This folder is not in the Visual Studio 2019 solution folder, which is why it does not appear in the VS Solution Explorer.

I haven’t tried this, but I would have thought that you could simply open it in any text editor, insert the space, save it, recompile.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for hinting that this is simply in the engine installation path. Yes, worked for me, too. Build time went down to 1.6 on one machine and 2.8 on my laptop.

My original speed was a little over 6 seconds. Seemed relatively quick to me, but decided to give this a try. The fix did not work until I restarted UE 4 (as found here: Compiler Log still showing UnrealHeaderTool running)

My speed is now 1.77, just under 2 seconds, went down by 3x’s :slight_smile:

Hey, Thank you for responding with that, you helped me a ton! i went from legit 2-3 minute compile times down to 10ish seconds, thank you so much!

1 Like

Hey man …where to find this directory in visual studio 2019. I can’t search that. Please help me.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms