Compiler Log still showing UnrealHeaderTool running

As the title says, after I followed the instructions in the Solving Slow Compile Times lesson (adding a space in the UnrealHeaderTool.target file, saving, and re-compiling) although my compile time went down from 48 seconds to 8 seconds, it’s still showing that the UnrealHeaderTool is running. In the lesson, the instructors showed that it should no longer be running after refreshing this file. Why didn’t this work for me? And if it’s still running, why is my compile time 8 seconds now instead of 48?

Picture attached of the message log.

The header tool runs as part of Unreal, for a brief explanation read this:

Alright, but the Solving Slow Compile Times lesson (Lesson 52) at 3:50 in the video, the instructor demonstrates how the message log no longer shows the UnrealHeaderTool running, and thus cuts the compile time to a reasonable length. When I apply the fix, it’s still running. The instructor demonstrated that it should NO longer be running.

Are you sure changed the right file and have you tried closing and reopening Unreal?

Also are you in the same Verizon 4.22?

I changed UnrealHeaderTool.target just like in the video.

I’m using 4.22.3.

The video didn’t say or show closing/reopening Unreal, but I just tried that and it worked! Thank you.

UE can be a bit goofy. Sometimes it has to be restarted, or closed and opened to fix little things. You will see that in the videos too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms