Video Capture Tool to share videos?

I’m new to video capture.

What tool is everyone using to capture video to share on this website and others?
Do you like to capture .WAV or .GIF?

1 Like

I use Gforce Experiance - Desktop Record.

hm.

for exactly:

Shadow Play 2.xx ( not the New Version, that is so mad like Windows 10)
just the good old, there NVidia not need to know, how often you on the Badroom.

… this is quit in all Parts (So i do not give NVidia the Right to listen about what i am doing)

and that is fine.

for Video rework, i use MovyMaker of Windows 8.0.
( indeed: i chancel all his Rights to tell Microsoft what Videos i rework, so he have no Network
connection )

so i rework the Videos of “Shadow Play” with Movie Maker.

i know: there other Soft around us, but they all are like “ET” they want to: Call home.

so it s te best Reason for me - here.
And it works fine.

best greetings.

Thank you! I’ll check them out.

So far, I’ve just been using the Game DVR function of the Windows 10 Xbox app. It creates .MP4 files, but I haven’t tried to change it to anything else if that is possible. It’s pretty simple to trim the beginning and end of each clip if that’s all you need to do. I downloaded OBS today, but found out pretty quickly that I would need to spend some time learning that before I will be able to use it.

1 Like

I had no idea the record feature was built in. Learn something new everyday. Game DVR is very easy to use. Thank you!

I use ShareX, it’s pretty easy to use for video and can capture specific region of screen for instance only game area of unity etc. End result is an .mp4 file as well. I don’t think you have much options for compresion or quality settings of the video though so that’s a bit of a disadvantage depending where you want to upload the resulting video.

1 Like

Thank you, Mike!

I can recommend ScreenToGif.

2 Likes

There is a beta asset of Unity which makes in game recording

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/beta-projects/recorder-94079

though it says;

Release does not support for:
Sound with Unity 2017.2 or prior.

If you have 2017.2 or 2017.3 that won’t be a problem at all, I make all my recordings with this asset

None of the above options really worked for me - working on an (old) mac.

I tried the Unity asset, which kind of worked, but it slowed down the game immensely while recording, which besides from being suuper annoying also did something to the controls - this might be because of my computers slightly slow speed.

Solution on (oldish) Mac:

It’s very easy on a Mac to make a video-screen capture using Quicktime. However, if you want sound recorded directly from the computer (ie. not through computer speakers and then through internal mic), you need to install Soundflower. With Soundflower installed it works like a charm :slight_smile:

I am a big fan of just using OBS.

I am surprised nobody mentioned FRAPS. However since I’m looking for a non-limited freeware solution I’m about to give Tiny Take a try. https://tinytake.com/

I tried several video recorders out before I found this recommendation. It’s the first one I was able to get to record my mouse cursor in the video. Thanks.

Deprecated - so it’s no longer available

I prefer to use a screen recorder for PC called Joyoshare VidiKit to record videos in MP4 or FLV, which will be more suitable for me. This app can record videos in 4K or HD quality with no watermark, which is important for me. I like it.

I use LICEcap for gifs and the Unity recorder from the package manager for videos. I’m not making blockbuster films, just recording what’s on screen. If I want the Unity editor as well, I’ll use OBS.

Privacy & Terms