Unreal Editor crashes

I’ve posted this to Unreal’s website but thought I would check here to see if anyone else has any ideas.

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/899508/unreal-editor-failing-to-laod.html

Any more information please ask as I have 0 clue :confused:

Just loading the editor or a project?
If a project is it an existing project that’s been upgraded to the newer version?

Even just loading the editor could be a problem if its set to auto open project when its the project failing. Like DanM says, its difficult to know what’s going on without more info.

If set to auto open project, just move project folder and see if that works. If editor, did you try to reinstall? Might need to clean before installing again.

Interesting place for it to be failing.

As far as I know it’s not auto loading a project this is solely the editor I’m trying to load. When around 45% it crashes when loading the editor, it only seems to happen on 4.22.2 and 4.21.2. I’ve also tried opening a project but to no avail. I guess I’ll try a clean install again.

Any information I could provide that would help? I’m so puzzled by this.

Same, don’t know why its having an assertion failure on a module.

But, still seems like something bad on your system though as others can install and use it including myself. I feel its either this or your specific system produces a bug in the editor.

But also don’t know why the older one doesn’t experience it. You could always just stick with that one.

Well the only reason I downloaded the new one was for the updated Bulls & Cows game, I’ve posted it to Unreal’s website so let’s see if they have any answers. Thank you for your time anyway :slight_smile:

45% is when Unreal is compiling the shaders IIRC. What GPU do you have?

I’m using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.

Looked into this as far as I can without actually having the problem. Like the following link shows, assertion failed on ModuleManager seems to be possible with a missing dll file that the editor expects to be on the system and some people happen to not have https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/107968/cant-launch-editor-443-ui-module-failing.html …doesn’t mean that the file from the link is what’s missing in this case, just that it is possible for something to be missing.

Every piece of software expects specific things to already be available. Could be one of those times. I fully expect this is a problem solvable on the user side.

Well I tried it anyway but no luck :frowning: but this does narrow it down so thank you! It does list should I say file names maybe (?) underneath the error I’ll repost the picture here. But I’m just confused on where to look or how to read it, should I Google each line? Or see if it is missing? Again sorry for basic questions.

CrashScreen

Sadly, don’t think that’s useful for anything or very much at all. The listed error is located in the core as well looking at the path.

One nasty error to have :frowning:

Also, I installed UE4 on my laptop to try to get it to crash on startup and it did. Same kind of error but with d3d which is a far more obvious problem than yours.

There is also a click here to view directory in the crash dialog. Maybe something in there will give you a better idea as to what’s happening as it provides more stuff that just what’s in the dialog photos.

Another interesting thing is that even though the crash line is not in the core path, it still starts out with UE4Editor_Core thus making all that stack trace rather worthless as it all seems to be the same regardless of the problem.

That’s interesting, It’s narrowed it down a lot though! I did try and base my searching around UE4Editor_Core but the results weren’t so great, maybe I need to dig deeper into it.

Would you like me to post the crash log? I’ll have a proper look later as I’m out for the day.

There’s a few ways to take this. If you feel there’s nothing in them that you don’t want public then just go ahead and pastebin them or something else. Might be too long to add directly here unless something will allow scroll vertical.

Things to try:
In CrashContext.runtime-xml there’s a line called CrashType which might prove interesting. For me it says GPUCrash which is useful.

Other things here if having the list of dlls, for example, can run a compare diff on them to check if anything is different (not found).

And in UE4.log is has more precisely what lead up to the crash, for example, in mine it has D3D11RHI: Result failed and next line …D3D11Viewport.cpp 361 with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG and bit more before that when the dialog had assertion failed …D3D11Util.cpp 198 exiting due to D3D device being lost. So a bit of a difference for finding the problem.

Besides that, don’t know if its possible to open the dmp file here in Visual Studio. I know you can with a project one, but don’t know about the engine one at this time.

Did you build from source? Where did you install this too?
I noticed ++UE4\Sync in the path, so are you using this with something like OneDrive? And it’s possible that the ++'s are part of the problem. Unreal is weird with non-alpha-non-English characters in paths.

Sorry for the quick reply, I’ll post the report.

https://pastebin.com/nwH0MuBT

I’ll take a deeper look when I get the chance :slight_smile:

I’m not building from source, think that might be worth a shot? I have OneDrive but never used it, again more to look into thank you for everyone’s time! I’ll post results tomorrow :slight_smile:

So looking into the file I’m seeing this:

Failed to load ‘…/…/…/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/nvTextureTools/Win64/nvtt_64.dll’ (GetLastError=126)
Missing import: MSVCR120.dll
Looked in: …/…/…/Engine/Binaries/Win64

Just a quick update I’ll continue my search!

Your problem I see goes just like this one lol https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/737927/getlasterror126-problem.html no solution in that thread it seems… just there anyway =) One day this ship will be righted for you.

Definitely should not be missing MSVCP120.dll. That most definitely doesn’t seem right.

Some errors in the log may be normal though - some GetLastError=126 are normal (if not all). But the vc++ dll shouldn’t be normal.

Not sure but this may be not normal too: ModuleManager: Unable to load module ‘F:/UE_4.22/Engine/Binaries/Win64/UE4Editor-MeshUtilities.dll’ because the file couldn’t be loaded by the OS. I don’t see this error in my crash log for 4.22.2.

For myself on a working installation, I do see UE4Editor-MeshUtilities.dll 608 KB (623,504 bytes) (md5: 375DD0AB0F9DD4BDE90CEFE1C682D5FE) for Windows copy of UE4. If its not there then you have something removing the file like AV software, aggressive Windows Defender settings, or its just not being downloaded or whatever. If you do see it and its not corrupted, then its an odd error to be logged. From what I can tell with this file, the path looks fine.

Your log goes off right here:

Selected Device Profile: [Windows]
Failed to preload 'F:/UE_4.22/Engine/Binaries/Win64/tbb.dll' (GetLastError=126)

Right after selected device profile, mine goes into QuadricMeshReduction for automatic static mesh reduction but yours goes into failed to preload.

Now, I’m in Windows and tbb.dll is indeed Intel Threading Building Blocks library 382 KB (392,080 bytes) (md5: 6A34A717CB92258FDA7EABABCFA82713). Might also be able to get to the dll from here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8818790/tbb-dll-not-found then here https://www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/ should you need it (no guarantee that would work though). But, UE4 should install it. I’m on AMD and still have it though we do have the same cpu so you should too. You can try to use Epic’s verify installation too if you didn’t - maybe it will do something.

That’s a good one with the path, but the crash error I had for a test also has this with the ++'s and I don’t have path problems. Don’t know why it displays a path like that. I don’t even have a D drive so its a completely unhelpful error they have there in the crash dialog (something they’ve had before for other problems).

Got to look in the logs and use dmp file if possible to solve this one. That dialog is a waste. Nothing’s getting solved directly from that with this one :slight_smile:

Right, so this is where I got to now, and thank you so much team for the help I’ve actually learnt a fair bit!

So I thought I might do a clean install of VS and Unreal again thinking that it just didn’t install something. The problem here is I have 2 drives, an SSD and normal HDD. I’m using mainly the SSD for most things now but it’s bit small so I did have files split over the 2 drives, I’m not very good with most hardware now (just forget most my knowledge :smile: ) When I’ve gone to reinstall VS I’m getting this now!

The reason I did a clean install is because I thought maybe over the 2 drives something is clashing so I deleted all previous versions of VS on my drives ready for a clean install (again). No matter where I set the paths I still get this error, I do apologise for just creating another problem after you’ve all worked hard to help me on the first problem just hoping this is going to be worth it! Just trying to find time to sit down and bash my head off the keyboard while searching Google :slight_smile:

I don’t mind lol

You have download cache same as shared components. Change download cache path.

Did you try verifying the engine installation? Seems like the prerequisites might not have installed.
options

Privacy & Terms