Unity RPG Kickstarter running now

To be honest I was quite sad when it was announced that it was going to be done in Unity Engine… Actually sad is the right word. I understand the point however as the teaching in Unity is a lot simpler than writing low level code like in CryEngine or Unreal. To be honest I am now deepdiving CryEngine and Unreal and I am not looking back.

I will however back your kickstarter regardless as I believe what you provide to the community is simply awesome. I just feel like after doing C++ again (had a 11y break) and having done stuff like written my own webconnect client / steam friendslist / networking bit in Unreal and CryEngine as well as implemented tech like WWISE etc this course would just not be low enough for me anymore… I feel like Unity is awesome if you want to make a quick prototype or even a quick platformer etc, but anything else serious? and the engine seems to throw too many obstacles in your way.

Is it easier with all the libraries that are being provided? Of course. Is it as “open” as any of the AAA engines? No, not by a long shot. I personally feel, if Unity keeps going for another 5years maybe then they are in a place where UE / CRY is today. (and that is a big maybe). Best example, the team of Crowfall are facing so many networking issues while making their MMO, it isnt even funny. So I am wondering why they even chose the engine for an MMO.

If you want to make this proper the only part of the course I would consider looking at is how you get an authoritative server <-> client architecture going and have 4 player coop in the game. Heck only for that part I would pay just to see how you would handle that. And I obviously mean without Photon licenses etc. But I am guessing you are not building the game with Multiplayer in mind but rather as a singleplayer experience? Well here is hoping :wink:

1 Like

Wonderful idea for the next one, possibly even on a different platform like Patreon or simliar.

1 Like

Congrats.This is too good to start your campaign @ Ben

@Rob I was thinking the same thing actually. I ended up deciding to pledge and give away my copy, but still, I like this idea as a whole.

Maybe we could make a page where people can donate their coupon codes, and people write a 250 word essay on why they think they deserve free access to the class they want to take? That wouldn’t be too terribly difficult to arrange…

1 Like

I did it and pushed it over goal :smiley:

3 Likes

Two posts that I’ve added that are related.

In particular, the later might be of interest to those who already have a class, but want to support @Ben.

Well done on hitting the initial target, just shows the appreciation and support for all the hard work that goes into this behind the scenes!

belter of a job guys :wink:

1 Like

I laughed when I seen in the picture:

> Input.GetKeyAttack("Attack") )
> {
>      PerformUberDeathPunch(11);
3 Likes

Just upped my pledge to give a copy of the Blender to my cousin’s son who build this in Minecraft. I hope Blender can help him with a bit more useful of a skill;-)

4 Likes

That was @sampattuzzi -)

1 Like

Unreal comment was mostly in jest, this is a huge enough task just constructing a course for one engine, let alone two!

I’m actually starting on the Testing Grounds section of the Unreal Course this weekend and once that is done I’d love to give your Unity course a go (already purchased along with the certified exam course) and see how the engines compare after having completed both of your engine courses.

Looking forward to seeing all the wonderful progress on this new RPG course~

Edit:
Forgot to mention, backed this new kickstarter. Hoping we can push it through all the stretch goals!
Edit 2:
Deleted duplicate post

1 Like

I’ve never backed anything on kickstarter before, but I am enjoying the unity course so much. I love the idea of exploring a genre in more detail.

Can I ask, will there be a lot of repetition of themes in the current Unity course or will it build on top of it?

Thom

2 Likes

The course says it isn’t for beginners, so I assume it will be more built on top of it. I suspect a lot of things that weren’t covered in great detail will be given a refresher, like lighting, sound, etc, but overall I suspect it’s more about making a large game, namely an RPG, and not so much about the basics of Unity.

I already backed this! Thanks for doing this Ben and crew!

1 Like

I was so happy to find I was backer number 11 :smiley: Can’t wait for this.

I might throw a lifetime backing, at the end of the month when I get money, but the kickstarter seem to have died down a tiny bit how big are the chances it will hit the multiplayer goals, before the kickstarter ends :slight_smile: ?

Are there going to be further Unreal courses in the future? If so, the lifetime member option is incredibly tempting…

Edit: I only just saw the Halloween update on the Unreal course! "“Testing Grounds” will be the last section in the course and won’t include multiplayer and VR content. However, next year we will be creating separate courses that cover these topics. " Fantastic! Now for December to roll around and my budget to refresh :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have no doubt there will be more Unreal courses to come. Every year Gamedev.tv adds a new instructor, and a few more courses than the year before. Classes will be made as there is demand for them, check out the voting site.

As for the kickstarter dying down, most kickstarters follow a pattern where they are quick to begin with, taper off for a while, and jump at the end. Ben’s stated this is ahead of the Unreal course day for day, and that ended up with a huge amount in the end.

Lastly, funds are taken when the Kickstarter ends, so it doesn’t really matter when you commit, the funds will be taken at the same time.

1 Like

Agreed, its pointless to have it on Unreal since you already have it on unity :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pledged, looking forward to it @ben

4 Likes

Privacy & Terms